It wasn't that he let Tom Landry go... it was that Tom Landry was itting at home watching tv with his wife and found out he was fired from watching the news.  Jones had such little character that he didn't even bother to pick up the phone and call him to tell him. 

Stebo,

That just isn't true. I am a Cowboys fan and am not a huge fan of Jerry Jones, but he did personally fly to Austin along with Tex Schramm to let him know he was no longer going to be the head coach.

Jerry has a lot to be blamed for what's wrong with the Cowboys now and the last several years but to be upset about him firing Landry is wrong. Landry needed to go years before Bum Bright sold the Cowboys. Why Jerry takes such much undo criticism for firing Landry is mind boggling.

No matter who bought the Cowboys, they were going to get rid of Landry.

"Feb. 25, 1989: It's officially announced that Mr. Jones has paid $140 million for the Cowboys franchise. Earlier that afternoon, Mr. Schramm and Mr. Jones had flown to Mr. Landry's vacation home near Austin to fire the Cowboys' only head coach to date."

Jones Firing Landry

Cerebrus,

Please move this thread to the NON-UNT sports board. It has degenerated into Cowboy vs. Texas or Cowboy fan vs. Jerry Jones.

I realize that Toby Gowin is a Cowboy, but this thread belongs elsewhere. I keep reading it thinking there is NEWS about Don, but I find more needless COWBOY drivel.

I have lived in Houston for 6 years now and the DFW teams are and will always be my favorites. I am a Home team kinda guy and your home team is the one you grew up with. Now with that being said I respect the teams here in Houston and route for them unless they play a DFW team. One thing I love about the Texans and hate about the Cowboys is there game day enviornment. They have great tailgaiting all around the stadium here. The fans are pumped when they go in to the game and stay that way once inside. I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and one radio commentator called the Cowboy fans the "chesse and wine crowd". I could not agree more, fans in Dallas are so boring at the games. Regardles if it is a good season or not.

With that being said

Go Cowboys

and Go Mean Green!

One thing I love about the Texans and hate about the Cowboys is there game day environment.  They have great tailgating all around the stadium here.  The fans are pumped when they go in to the game and stay that way once inside.  I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and one radio commentator called the Cowboy fans the "cheese and wine crowd".  I could not agree more, fans in Dallas are so boring at the games.  Regardless if it is a good season or not. 

With that being said

Go Cowboys

and Go Mean Green!

That's because, in Dallas, for the most part, the Cowboys are only interested in your money, while the fans are only interested in being seen. In Houston, they want the fans back, and are willing to go the extra mile for them. The fans are happy to have pro football back, and respond in kind.

And as GreenBat would probably tell you, I'm one of the more level-headed Cowboys fans around...

By the way, Brett, sorry for another non-McGee post on this thread. smile.gif