Busting North Texas Football Myths

meangreener

Myth # 2,459 - The name 'Scrappy' was stolen from the Scooby Doo cartoon character

Myth # 674 - The Alumni side hates when the Green Brigade plays "Hey, Baby" at the end of the 3rd Quarter.

Myth # 7 - We supposedly left the Sun Belt, which is why we're still playing teams like Middle Tennessee and future opponents Florida Atlantic and Western Kentucky (we brought the best teams with us, to add to the regional opponents we now have, etc)

Myth # 388 - The cool kids stay out on The Hill during the game (actually, it's the losers who couldn't get dates to the game that stay out and try to drown their sorrows)

Myth # 420 - I can't really tell you, but you know what I mean

Myth # 19 - If you take your date all the way to the top of the Wing Zone, the two of you will again go all the way a little later (okay, this one is actually true !)

Myth # 603 - The Duck Pond east of Apogee Stadium is toxic. (it actually has well-documented healing abilities, try it !)

Aside from the typos you already mentioned you were planning to fix, also remember your audience. Many of the students seeing this don't follow as much as we do, so mentioning ECU and La Tech and such may not be a big gain.

Maybe if you make the "big time football" one more of a "CUSA is in the same division as the Big 12/AAC/whatever and we've beaten teams like Tech, Houston, SMU, etc..."

Also UNT's enrollment has only recently grown this much. So UT and aTm do have more graduates than we do...for now. But there are ways to rephrase it, like "UT and aTm are the only ones with large alumni bases".

As to the "how good we really are" part, I agree it's a good idea to leave out the loss to UGA and keep in the comparisons to TCU, SMU, and maybe mention Brelan, the quotes about the D, etc.

Finally...the Sun Belt championships were in 2001-2004, which were the early 2000s, not the middle (well, it kinda stretched to the middle, but, you know...).

Make it "SCRAPPY NEEDS YOU", and use the new Scrappy "cartoon" holding the NT Battle Flag!

First of all, I have never liked even remotely admitting that our school has (or may have had) a less than stellar reputation regarding athletics or school spirit. I've mentioned this before, but I don't like all those t-shirts that have been produced in the past that give the definition of pride, or say "see you at the game" etc etc. My reaction to these is always "who are you trying to convince, me or you?".

I like the idea of using the new scrappy image. However, I would never use the word "NEED". I would use phrases like "Come join Scrappy on his journey to the next level of college sports" or "Scrappy's going to plant OUR flag at the top of CUSA....be part of it". or "Scrappy's going to dominate CUSA...there's always lots of room in the parade" or "Join Scrappy now!

If you are going to bust the "commuter" myth, then make bold statements like "BUSTED" EVERY SCHOOL has commuters, but North Texas has more on-campus and near-campus students than either SMU or TCU's total student population". If it's not true, then it's not far from it. Let someone else go through the trouble of looking it up and publishing a rebuttal. Our commuter reputation probably came from the local area teachers who would commute in large numbers during the summer to work on their masters degrees. There were also a large number who commuted to night school during the regular school session, and that added to the myth.

It saddens me to say this, but if you are going to try and change negative perceptions about North Texas you would be better off not going into a persuasive mode. Do like a certain very conservative group does.....BE BOLD, BE AGGRESSIVE, AND AS A LAST RESORT....MAKE STUFF UP.

DO NOT EVER LET YOUR MESSAGE EVEN REMOTELY SOUND LIKE YOU ARE PLEADING OR BEING THE LEAST BIT WEAK. THAT HAS BEEN PART OF NT'S PROBLEM IN THE PAST.

• Upvote 1

. . . It saddens me to say this, but if you are going to try and change negative perceptions about North Texas you would be better off not going into a persuasive mode. Do like a certain very conservative group does.....BE BOLD, BE AGGRESSIVE, AND AS A LAST RESORT....MAKE STUFF UP. . . .

So, should we hire Ted Cruz, the Koch brothers, and Grover Norquist as consultants for this?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

So, should we hire Ted Cruz, the Koch brothers, and Grover Norquist as consultants for this?

I'll avoid direct political references and stick with History. All we need to do is get out our history books and see how the king of all spin-doctors, Joseph Goebbels, did it. A$M seems to have. Lots of marching, lots of flag waving. And best of all.......lots of leather boots......... B)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'll avoid direct political references and stick with History. All we need to do is get out our history books and see how the king of all spin-doctors, Joseph Goebbels, did it. A$M seems to have. Lots of marching, lots of flag waving. And best of all.......lots of leather boots......... B)

Godwin strikes again.
  • Upvote 2

Nope. I never said the N word. Just made reference to an actual person in history that is universally regarded as the father of propaganda. And propaganda is what we're talking about isn't it?

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
  • Upvote 1

I thought of another myth that refers to SMU, but concerns us. I have often seen in print that SMU was the first "major" school to break the football color barrier in Texas with Jerry Levias. We did it a decade earlier with Abner Haynes and others. As far as "major" is concerned, we were in the Missouri Valley with such teams as Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulsa, etc. I think that qualifies as major.

• Upvote 4

First of all, I have never liked even remotely admitting that our school has (or may have had) a less than stellar reputation regarding athletics or school spirit. I've mentioned this before, but I don't like all those t-shirts that have been produced in the past that give the definition of pride, or say "see you at the game" etc etc. My reaction to these is always "who are you trying to convince, me or you?".

I like the idea of using the new scrappy image. However, I would never use the word "NEED". I would use phrases like "Come join Scrappy on his journey to the next level of college sports" or "ScrappRy's going to plant OUR flag at the top of CUSA....be part of it". or "Scrappy's going to dominate CUSA...there's always lots of room in the parade" or "Join Scrappy now!

If you are going to bust the "commuter" myth, then make bold statements like "BUSTED" EVERY SCHOOL has commuters, but North Texas has more on-campus and near-campus students than either SMU or TCU's total student population". If it's not true, then it's not far from it. Let someone else go through the trouble of looking it up and publishing a rebuttal. Our commuter reputation probably came from the local area teachers who would commute in large numbers during the summer to work on their masters degrees. There were also a large number who commuted to night school during the regular school session, and that added to the myth.

It saddens me to say this, but if you are going to try and change negative perceptions about North Texas you would be better off not going into a persuasive mode. Do like a certain very conservative group does.....BE BOLD, BE AGGRESSIVE, AND AS A LAST RESORT....MAKE STUFF UP.

DO NOT EVER LET YOUR MESSAGE EVEN REMOTELY SOUND LIKE YOU ARE PLEADING OR BEING THE LEAST BIT WEAK. THAT HAS BEEN PART OF NT'S PROBLEM IN THE PAST.

How about "Scrappy WANTS YOU". That way its sending the message, but could also be perverse. I hear the kids like that kind of stuff these days. And it's bold.

• Upvote 2