Recap of Coach Mac Show tonight 7PM

Harry

I just listened to most of it. A couple things to add to Harry's thoughts:

Can someone elaborate on this? Was Mac saying 5 TEs is not enough? I don't understand how "only" having 5 TEs is the reason it is not a bigger part of the offense.

He didn't really answer the questions about DT's inconsistency. If you have a 75% average with one game being 87%, then the other was closer to 60. Mac doesn't seem to want to explain that publicly?

It was a gutsy question, and Mac did not answer it directly. Just talked about week-long and game-time consultation and prep. You could definitely take from this that he has a say in the gameplan, but nothing certain about playcalling.

If he just focuses on the 5 TE's instead of whatever the other number is, he doesn't have to answer the question. Sounds like to me he avoided many of the questions.

• Upvote 2

Just as I predicted in the chat they would see on film,.. that the holes were there but the backs weren't hitting them.

And if its so important to get the kids involved why not bring back the Jr Mean Green Club Spirit line to start the second half, and allow post game access for them on the field like we used to?

Rick

Something tells me that Coach Mac doesn't have anything to do with status of the Junior Mean Green Club ...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The main point I heard was still 100% thinks DT gives us the best chance to win. No wavering.

I know I will most likely get killed on this but I have to say it - I’m on the verge of wanting to relate Mac sticking with DT (regardless) with JJ’s commitment to Romo. It’s like they want to show the world that they know more than everyone else. They show up good against the teams that should not offer any competition, but when the opportunity comes up to steal one from a team you most likely should not beat they fall short.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know I will most likely get killed on this but I have to say it - I’m on the verge of wanting to relate Mac sticking with DT (regardless) with JJ’s commitment to Romo. It’s like they want to show the world that they know more than everyone else. They show up good against the teams that should not offer any competition, but when the opportunity comes up to steal one from a team you most likely should not beat they fall short.

I was thinking the exact same thing on Sunday night.

I wonder if moving Loving to the d-line has or will be considered.

Mac says he's not ready to play and they (obviously) did not intend to redshirt him when they recruited him (remember they put the heat on him to lure away from Kansas State). My translation or rationale for that is they want Marcus Smith and Loving to be the guys next year since Miller and Prior will be gone. It sounds like Mac is gaining confidence in Marcus Smith whom is certainly an intriguing player and probably the best athlete of the TE bunch.

Mac said that second and long was hurting the team.

Hey, coach, when you throw the ball 2 times in 16 1st down chances in the 1st half, teams MAY just key on your running game.

Just a thought, coach.

Also, Mac took responsibility for the play calling without taking responsibility for the play calling, saying that he absolutely has game day imput, but he lets his coordinators coordinate. Sometimes. The way I took it is Mac calls run or pass, and coordinator calls the play.

Shocking.

I think the biggest thing we learned from the show is that KRAM really, really, likes tight ends. ;)

• Upvote 1

hey, wasnt there an article or blurb somewhere about the Fight Song being played overseas?

if anyone can find that, I'd like to have it to share with my uncle

"Facebook with Poppy" segment later in the show.

Played every morning by an active duty military commander alumni somewhere in Kuwait right after the national anthem (?)

• Upvote 1

Just as I predicted in the chat they would see on film,.. that the holes were there but the backs weren't hitting them.

Rick

As I mentioned in another thread--I could have sworn I saw the same thing pretty much all night. It was maddening, and probably the reason they kept calling running plays. I swear I saw holes big enough for those guys to scoot through and pick up 15-20 or even pop a couple.

• Upvote 1

The main point I heard was still 100% thinks DT gives us the best chance to win. No wavering.

Was not please with the Whitfield error and is putting Buyers in to start. Said it was not a defensive play issue just a technique issue. Still believes in Whitfield as a player.

A less antimated tone than last week overall. Not somber but you could tell he had some disappointment from the loss. Reiterated that Ohio will win a bunch of games and will go bowling again.

The running game issues in his opinion were more of an issue with the running backs and making plays than about holes and the o-line. Said Coach Perry was really going to stress that this week. Said we have good backs, not NFL caliber but good quality college backs and they will play better.

Defended DT on the pick six saying it was a hair away from being a touchdown the other way. Said the Ohio DB just made a great play. Said the UNT WR needs to make a play there.

Said Buyers made a nice interception but erred in running the ball inside instead of outside; said he could have had a TD if he had steered to the sidelines.

Said Loving wasn't ready to help them. Needed a redshirt year.

KRAM has a good question about the tight end and getting them more involved in the offense. Mac said we only have 5 tight ends in the mix. Said he had just had a meeting today about this issue with Quartaro and Chico.

Said the Ball State QB wasn't mobile but had a very good arm and super quick release.

Said that Mason will return at defensive end and hadn't made the trip to Ohio. Sarge played a good game but will hadn't really practiced, will be better this week.

Kept bringing up DT's 75% completion percentage through two games. I'm no math wiz but guessing the 1st game is carrying that percentage for DT.

Macek is pronounced MAcik like MAgic...not MAYSIK... good luck with that one...

Mac was few minutes late not sure if they said why...

They are having some type of Kids Corner type of deal where a lot of young kids are getting bussed to the game on Saturday and will sit in the wing. Mac said it was important to start drawing in younger fans so they will become more attached to the program and experience of going to games.

One guy had an interesting question in regards to delegating responsibility to assistants... Mac brought up something along the lines of he "Meets" or "Consults" with all of his coaches...my translation = Mac is calling the shots.

A lot of Solich praise and love.

Overall a pretty ho hum after a loss type of show. We're close but have to start doing the small things required to win ball games. A lot of defense of the system he and his coaches employ being "proven" and complete confidence in it working once the execution gets better. Praised John Skladany and his knowledge of defenses.

Team never quit. Played hard the entire game.

Talked about early games and how much he likes them because the team isn't having to sit around for so long.

GMG

Derek does give us the best chance to win. 19 of 29 is 65.5 percent. It's excellent one way or the other. Had same numbers as more heralded Ohio QB Tettleton.

And, yes...WRs need to make plays as well. That's been said many times here...by somebody... :whistling1: Liked the WR play overall, but...playmakers make plays.

Keep hating, Thompson haters. Keep hating him all the way to our first bowl game since 2004...and, possibly a conference title match up with East Carolina. That's right, I said it! Where will you haters direct your hate when we've got the C-USun Belt West title in hand and have a bowl trip to prepare for?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Where will you haters direct your hate when we've got the C-USun Belt West title in hand and have a bowl trip to prepare for?

And here I thought that magic mushrooms were illegal in Frisco.

But seriously, I'm looking at going out to California in December, but have held back on specific dates juuuuust in case UNT ends up in a bowl game within reasonable distance.

• Upvote 1

In the press conference, he basically said the TEs can catch the ball and they should get the ball to the TEs.

If you're team is hitting 75% of its passes without going to the TE, I'd say it's because receivers are getting open and the QB isn't having to throw to the TEs. This isn't a bad thing.

The other purpose of the TE is to keep the QB from getting hit regularly when he drops back for a pass. Remember the Dodge Era when our QBs were pummelled in the TE-less offenses of 2007 and 2008?

The TEs are doing fine here. Our QB stays upright the vast majority of the time. TE isn't a problem here anymore.

• Upvote 2

The RBs have concerned me as well. Jimmerson does not look right.

He did in the Idaho game and also in the Ohio game.....

Just sort of runs the the line and stops. It looks really strange...

I agree. It almost looked like they were trying to make too much out of the play instead of taking what was there. Too much dancing around looking for an opening that would go for 20+ instead of taking the 4 yds that were there.

As I mentioned in another thread--I could have sworn I saw the same thing pretty much all night. It was maddening, and probably the reason they kept calling running plays. I swear I saw holes big enough for those guys to scoot through and pick up 15-20 or even pop a couple.

Sometimes it seemed they were looking the wrong way! At one point I was screaming, "TO YOUR LEFT! TO YOUR LEFT!"

Any mention of getting 2 INTs against a QB that had 4 all last year?

Thompson had two interceptions. One of which was off a tip.

The Ohio player that scored ran right past and over our guys on his way into the endzone

Tettleton had two interceptions. Neither one was tipped.

On Trice's interception, Ohio punched the ball loose while he was attempting to make it to the endzone.

According to Mac, if Buyers had ran along the sideline like in practice he could have scored on his interception.

Tettleton went 19 of 30 for 239 yds. 75 of which came of the first play of the game.

Tettleton had 2 INTERCEPTIONS and 2 touchdowns.

Tettleton's completion percentage was 63.3% for the game.

Tetteton's completion percentage for the year is 56.6%

Thompson went 19 of 29 for 195 yds. None of which came off the first play of the game.

Thompson had 2 interceptions and 2 Touchdowns.

Thompson's completion percentage was 65.5% for the game.

Thompson's completion percentage for the year is 75.0%

• Upvote 1

Thompson had two interceptions. One of which was off a tip.

The Ohio player that scored ran right past and over our guys on his way into the endzone

Tettleton had two interceptions. Neither one was tipped.

On Trice's interception, Ohio punched the ball loose while he was attempting to make it to the endzone.

According to Mac, if Buyers had ran along the sideline like in practice he could have scored on his interception.

Tettleton went 19 of 30 for 239 yds. 75 of which came of the first play of the game.

Tettleton had 2 INTERCEPTIONS and 2 touchdowns.

Tettleton's completion percentage was 63.3% for the game.

Tetteton's completion percentage for the year is 56.6%

Thompson went 19 of 29 for 195 yds. None of which came off the first play of the game.

Thompson had 2 interceptions and 2 Touchdowns.

Thompson's completion percentage was 65.5% for the game.

Thompson's completion percentage for the year is 75.0%

Thanks, bro. I posted those stats yesterday. Loss to Ohio was not because of the passing game. It was because...

...and, bear with me again, here:

To succeed in football you must be able to:

(1) Run

(2) Stop the run

(3) Play effective, mistake-free special teams.

We did not do (1) or (2). On (3), we missed a field goal, gave up too many yards on punt, kick returns, had only one touchback on kickoffs,

The focus for improvement should be on the run game and special teams. The passing game is humming along fine...except to those who think Derek Thompson does us a disservice by not completing 103% of his passes.

In fact, you have to give kudos to the passing game because it ticked along fine even with Ohio taking Brelan Chancellor out of the game. What we didn't have in the run game is one of the three backs picking up the slack, or the offensive line not constently opening holes for any of the runners.

• Upvote 3

Derek does give us the best chance to win. 19 of 29 is 65.5 percent. It's excellent one way or the other. Had same numbers as more heralded Ohio QB Tettleton.

And, yes...WRs need to make plays as well. That's been said many times here...by somebody... :whistling1: Liked the WR play overall, but...playmakers make plays.

Keep hating, Thompson haters. Keep hating him all the way to our first bowl game since 2004...and, possibly a conference title match up with East Carolina. That's right, I said it! Where will you haters direct your hate when we've got the C-USun Belt West title in hand and have a bowl trip to prepare for?

I hope you're right TFLF, I really do but my thoughts on this team/coach haven't changed after two games.

I think we go 5-7 due to average QB play, inconsistent defense, and predictable offensive game plans.

I still give Mac five years to get things right. I think we are improving albeit not as fast as we all want.

Football is a funny game, I wouldn't be shocked if we went 8-4 but I'm just not seeing/predicting it.

GMG.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, bro. I posted those stats yesterday. Loss to Ohio was not because of the passing game. It was because...

...and, bear with me again, here:

To succeed in football you must be able to:

(1) Run

(2) Stop the run

(3) Play effective, mistake-free special teams.

We did not do (1) or (2). On (3), we missed a field goal, gave up too many yards on punt, kick returns, had only one touchback on kickoffs,

The focus for improvement should be on the run game and special teams. The passing game is humming along fine...except to those who think Derek Thompson does us a disservice by not completing 103% of his passes.

In fact, you have to give kudos to the passing game because it ticked along fine even with Ohio taking Brelan Chancellor out of the game. What we didn't have in the run game is one of the three backs picking up the slack, or the offensive line not constently opening holes for any of the runners.

Guess you missed Mac talking about how hard it is to be successful on 2nd and long.

You will see A LOT of second and long when everybody in the stadium knows no don't throw the ball on 1st down.

But just keep pounding your head against that 9 in the box wall.

didn't you make a big prediction a couple years ago about how our team would end up, and it went in the opposite direction? You know why I remember, because I believed you. I allowed my heart to just hang out there and I held on to every word you said. I clutched so tight and you made me dream bigger than before. I flew so high because of you. I dreamed your dreams. It was so beautiful. But, I was left at the altar heart broken. Our romance lasted a short while as reality came crashing down. Never again will I trust your words. Your sweet, sweet words.

no homo.

• Upvote 1

didn't you make a big prediction a couple years ago about how our team would end up, and it went in the opposite direction? You know why I remember, because I believed you. I allowed my heart to just hang out there and I held on to every word you said. I clutched so tight and you made me dream bigger than before. I flew so high because of you. I dreamed your dreams. It was so beautiful. But, I was left at the altar heart broken. Our romance lasted a short while as reality came crashing down. Never again will I trust your words. Your sweet, sweet words.

no homo.

Yes. I believed in 2010 things would work out well because Dodge gave up the playcalling and we had real college coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

We were close to a breakthrough with a couple of one point losses at home: 32-31 to Rice, 28-27 to Louisianna, and a 24-19 loss to Arkansas State. Shortly thereafter, Dodge was fired and we finished the season 2-3 with a very competitive game with visiting Kansas State.

I think we've got the same type of team here. Enough seniors to make a difference, good experience. I thoroughly opposed Dodge when he was hired, but thought he had sufficiently given up on his spread scheme that we could compete. And, if I'm not mistaken, we had more rushing yards that season than passing yards for the the first time under Dodge...and, bang, we damn near turned the corner.

We were 3-9 that year with two losses by a point, the Arkansas State game by five points and Troy by six. That in a season where we lost our top two QBs to injury within the first 2 games really (Thompson went down very early in the 3rd game against Army).

That 2010 squad was gritty. Sometimes, you need a little luck.

After two game of this season, I think this squad has the same feel. I predicted that we'd go 4-8 this year, 5-7 if we were really lucky. But, after seeing most of our future opponents struggle mightily, I now believe only Rice stands in our way of the C-USA West.

But, look...that is only if we can get our run game going as efficiently as the pass game has been going, we stop the run better, and get one of the kickers to hit field goals and extra points consistently.

If we can't get the run game going with this offensive line, senior tight ends, and talented backs, then heads need to roll.;

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch