Brian Waters to Cowboys

jtm0097

I hope it didn't take you too long to come up with that snappy zinger. Is that an official slogan? World city? Good god I hope not. And I hope you don't work in advertising.

Sorry, they are both great places to live, I have lived in some bad places because of work and they are both great areas.

Chill, you are starting to sound like an Aggie discussing UT or maybe an Okie talking about Texas. Or in my best Sigmund Freud voice," you appear to be suffering from a mild form of penis envy ". Geez, it's football season. Be happy...

And remember, JR Ewing would disagree with your assessment.

A world city is an official designation reserved for the cities of global importance for social or economic or political reasons. New York, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Chicago, London, Paris, etc are fellow "world cities."

A world city is an official designation reserved for the cities of global importance for social or economic or political reasons. New York, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Chicago, London, Paris, etc are fellow "world cities."

I learned something this morning after I fact checked your awesome reference. Like the term global city or world city, which Dallas received alpha++ rating and Houston received a Beta+ rating. You do realized beta comes after alpha, right? Outstanding reference you provided me. You were correct about Houston's fellow beta+ cities being Pittsburgh or Atlanta however the list had New York, Chicago, Dallas, London ect on the Alpha++ level.

Either way, I like Houston and Dallas. I just like my facts straight. Thanks for the lesson too!

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I learned something this morning after I fact checked your awesome reference. Like the term global city or world city, which Dallas received alpha++ rating and Houston received a Beta+ rating. You do realized beta comes after alpha, right? Outstanding reference you provided me. You were correct about Houston's fellow beta+ cities being Pittsburgh or Atlanta however the list had New York, Chicago, Dallas, London ect on the Alpha++ level.

Either way, I like Houston and Dallas. I just like my facts straight. Thanks for the lesson too!

Oh, that's new. Don't remember them being on there last time I looked. Touché.

---Tex Schram is responsible for the "America's Team" tag for several reasons..... First Dallas historically sells more NFL items (coats, hats, etc.) than any other team (sometimes the last SB champion temporarily sells more) . Tex created the situation: . He got Dallas placed into the NFC east (permanently, somewhat legally blackmailed them by getting ownership of Redskin song), This put them playing in the largest media and highest populated market [ NY, Washington and eastern area of US and on their TV's regularly ] His also had the Cowboys doing summer camp on the west coast and playing some of those teams in pre-season games.... getting them exposure on west-coast TV also. At the time the Cowboys was created, they were the only NFL team in mid-America and Southern America [ Houston, Miami, & Denver were AFL, plus New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay didn't exist yet ] Tex set up an insanely large radio network in mid-America from Calf to the deep South (also Mexico and Spanish radio) plus was appearing on the TV everywhere a lot ... partly because of location and partly because they became successful..... and toss in they were being seen in the east because of league opponents. He even volunteered to have the Cowboys on TV every Thanksgiving knowing the exposure it would give Dallas nation-wide. Sometimes you even get fans because they don't like your opponent. Sometimes you get fans because you win.. people like to support the winner.. instead of being ID-ed with the losing teams. [ in playoffs or not.. usually they are in hunt and win more than 50% ]

--Tex created Dallas as America's team.. they had fans on both coasts ... and especially in mid/southern America. toss they almost always wore white jerseys for a reason.. good guys wear white (subliminal) as Dallas did and even the star is a good symbol (lawmen) .. plus then people grew up wanting to be cowboys in that era... remember all the westerns on TV in that era. Last -- Landry was squeaky clean and had even been a hero Bomber pilot in WWII and later Staubach( Heisman-winner) had spent time in the Navy (also squeaky-clean family man) which not doubt created a few more fans for them. Even Bob Hayes had been an Olympic hero.. Walt Garrison (bull-rider) and Bob Lilly (West-Texan)even were real cowboys. Meredith was a folksy small-town guy and it showed and that continued as he became an announcer. The image had endured despite Jerry and his nutsy comments at times. Like Jerry or not ... he is a great promoter as well. ...which goes back to media claim ... don't care what you say about me... . just spell the name right.

--Sorry Houston (in no Super-Bowls) ... Dallas is Americas team... fans everywhere !! (thanks to Tex, a marketing genius and being in the playoffs a lot) ... They have won as many Super Bowls as anyone and in more Super-Bowls (win or lose) than any other team.... Doesn't hurt any that Aikman, Moose, M.Irving, and others appear on TV a lot reminding America of the success of Dallas in the past.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---Tex Schram is responsible for the "America's Team" tag for several reasons..... First Dallas historically sells more NFL items (coats, hats, etc.) than any other team (sometimes the last SB champion temporarily sells more) . Tex created the situation: . He got Dallas placed into the NFC east (permanently, somewhat legally blackmailed them by getting ownership of Redskin song), This put them playing in the largest media and highest populated market [ NY, Washington and eastern area of US and on their TV's regularly ] His also had the Cowboys doing summer camp on the west coast and playing some of those teams in pre-season games.... getting them exposure on west-coast TV also. At the time the Cowboys was created, they were the only NFL team in mid-America and Southern America [ Houston, Miami, & Denver were AFL, plus New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay didn't exist yet ] Tex set up an insanely large radio network in mid-America from Calf to the deep South (also Mexico and Spanish radio) plus was appearing on the TV everywhere a lot ... partly because of location and partly because they became successful..... and toss in they were being seen in the east because of league opponents. He even volunteered to have the Cowboys on TV every Thanksgiving knowing the exposure it would give Dallas nation-wide.

--Tex created Dallas as America's team.. they had fans on both coasts ... and especially in mid/southern America. toss they almost always wore white jerseys for a reason.. good guys wear white (subliminal) as Dallas did and even the star is a good symbol (lawmen) .. plus then people grew up wanting to be cowboys in that era... remember all the westerns on TV in that era. Last -- Landry was squeaky clean and had even been a Bomber pilot in WWII and later Staubach was too and had spent time in the Navy which not doubt created a few more fans for them. Even Bob Hayes has been an Olympic hero.. Walt Garrison (bull-rider) and Bob Lilly (West-Texan)even were real cowboys. Meredith was a folksy small-town guy and it showed and that continued as he became an announcer. The image had endured despite Jerry and his nutsy comments at times. Like Jerry or not ... he is a great promoter as well. ...which goes back to media claim ... don't care what you say about me... . just spell the name right.

--Sorry Houston ... Dallas is Americas team... fans everywhere (thanks to Tex, a marketing genius and being in the playoffs a lot) ... and have won as many Super Bowls as anyone and in more Super-Bowls(win or lose) than any other team. .

Last sentence is false.

Pittsburgh has 6.

Edited by meangreener

Last sentence is false.

Pittsburgh has 6.

The "America's Team" thing is still there but fading fast. People pretty much up to the age of 25 only remember one playoff win, so how can young people continue that legacy as long as Jerry is still around to make stupid moves? I'm honestly not sure if Stephen will do any better. That being said, it's fantastic having Mr. Waters back playing in North Texas. He was one Hell of a TE for us.

The "America's Team" thing is still there but fading fast. People pretty much up to the age of 25 only remember one playoff win, so how can young people continue that legacy as long as Jerry is still around to make stupid moves? I'm honestly not sure if Stephen will do any better. That being said, it's fantastic having Mr. Waters back playing in North Texas. He was one Hell of a TE for us.

Agreed with it fading fast. You don't see Cowboy apparel across the country much anymore like you used to.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ee9c/article/survey-says-packers-not-cowboys-now-americas-team

It's pretty awesome that Waters is back. I still think the Cowboys are an 8-8 ballclub.

Edited by meangreener

The only ring the Cowboys will ever get in the next 5 years is if Jerry feels sorry for them that they can't win a playoff game and buys them paste diamond rings to indicate them as a team. All shimy and sparkly, but turns to dust ofter its been hit. #DALLASCOWBOYSsuck

Gee, nobody saw this coming from Redskins fan. I really don't have anything against Houston, but the whole Houston/Dallas rivalry is pushed much harder by Houston. Beating Dallas in the preseason is like a Super Bowl win for the Texans. Super Bowl you Texans' fans ask? It is the game you play in that crowns the champion of the NFL. Swing by Valley Ranch and you can see what 5 rings look like.

Houston sucks. Their football team is good now--finally--but even then they cannot get past the second round of the playoffs. Let's not forget that your town lost an NFL franchise that is pretty much known for the Biggest Choke Job in the History of Pro Football, the debacle to the Bills in 1993. Your baseball team has made it to one World Series where you won exactly zero games. And your basketball team won two NBA Championships when Michael Jordan decided to play baseball for two years. When he came back, the Rockets were back to normal.

DFW has 12 championship appearances and 6 titles in the three major sports.

Houston has 5 championship apperances and 2* titles in the three major sports. And if your city wasn't so spare, we could talk hockey, which Dallas has 1 Stanley Cup and 1 other Western Conference Championship, but your "world city" doesn't even have an NHL team, so its a moot point.

Let's also not forget the All-time Greatest NCAA Championship Game, as voted by several media outlets, that involves a certain university from said town (UH) losing an absolutely unlosable game to one of the biggest Cinderellas of alltime in NC State.

Nice sports city you guys have there. Its right up there with humidity, mosquitoes, and fat people, all of which you guys score very high on every year. Congrats!!

Gee, nobody saw this coming from Redskins fan. I really don't have anything against Houston, but the whole Houston/Dallas rivalry is pushed much harder by Houston. Beating Dallas in the preseason is like a Super Bowl win for the Texans. Super Bowl you Texans' fans ask? It is the game you play in that crowns the champion of the NFL. Swing by Valley Ranch and you can see what 5 rings look like.

We weren't even a franchise when y'all were winning your rings. The Browns have 6 league championships (maybe more, idk) should I invite you to Berea to see what 6 rings looks like?

Dallas is a joke city. It's pretty much the butt of every joke. If you asked anyone outside of the metroplex which city they preferred, no way it would be Dallas. Or Fort Worth.

Houston is continually ranked at the top of the polls for job growth, "cool" factor, fun, etc.

I do find it funny how uptight Cowboys fans get when you insult their self-proclaimed title of "America's Team"*

And please don't even talk Rangers vs. Astros. Rangers fans have revisionist history and forget that we have a laundry list of hall of famers, retired numbers, more playoff appearances, more division titles, better historical attendance and Nolan Ryan rose to fame as an Astro but retired a Ranger. We also weren't stupid enough to build a stadium in a concrete wasteland with no roof.

Edited by meangreener

Agreed with it fading fast. You don't see Cowboy apparel across the country much anymore like you used to.

It's pretty awesome that Waters is back. I still think the Cowboys are an 8-8 ballclub.

I've been a big Cowboys fan in the past, but now I've kinda gotten to the point where I'm a "show me or I'm not really gonna give a damn" kind of fan. Witten, Dez, a "talented" Romo, a kicker, LANCE, BRIAN, and a couple of LB's are about all I'm really seeing there. The rest seem to be mediocre, very young, injured or injury prone. Hope they prove me wrong, but I'll be slightly surprised if they're even 8-8 once again.

The only ring the Cowboys will ever get in the next 5 years is if Jerry feels sorry for them that they can't win a playoff game and buys them paste diamond rings to indicate them as a team. All shimy and sparkly, but turns to dust ofter its been hit. #DALLASCOWBOYSsuck

Little Danny Snyder--just as bad as a football owner as Jerrah, but without any titles or NFC championship appearances.

And who roots for a team called the REDSKINS in 2013? I mean, really, is their even one other team out their that is more insensitive with their mascot than Washington? I'm gonna laugh so hard when the PC of DC finally catches up to them and they have to become the Washington Red Storm!!

RG III won't last 6 games this year before he gets injured--again.

The NFC East goes to either the Cowboys or Giants.

I've been a big Cowboys fan in the past, but now I've kinda gotten to the point where I'm a "show me or I'm not really gonna give a damn" kind of fan. Witten, Dez, a "talented" Romo, a kicker, LANCE, BRIAN, and a couple of LB's are about all I'm really seeing there. The rest seem to be mediocre, very young, injured or injury prone. Hope they prove me wrong, but I'll be slightly surprised if they're even 8-8 once again.

BUT DALLAS!

AMERICA'S TEAM!

JERRYWORLD!

We weren't even a franchise when y'all were winning your rings. The Browns have 6 league championships (maybe more, idk) should I invite you to Berea to see what 6 rings looks like?

Dallas is a joke city. It's pretty much the butt of every joke. If you asked anyone outside of the metroplex which city they preferred, no way it would be Dallas. Or Fort Worth.

Houston is continually ranked at the top of the polls for job growth, "cool" factor, fun, etc.

I do find it funny how uptight Cowboys fans get when you insult their self-proclaimed title of "America's Team"*

And please don't even talk Rangers vs. Astros. Rangers fans have revisionist history and forget that we have a laundry list of hall of famers, retired numbers, more playoff appearances, more division titles, better historical attendance and Nolan Ryan rose to fame as an Astro but retired a Ranger. We also weren't stupid enough to build a stadium in a concrete wasteland with no roof.

You were stupid enough to name your baseball stadium after the biggest fraud of an energy company that caused more heartache than any other company in history in Enron, so congrats on having a stadium downtown that has a train in it...because nothing says great baseball like a freaking train.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Downvote 1

You were stupid enough to name your baseball stadium after the biggest fraud of an energy company that caused more heartache than any other company in history in Enron, so congrats on having a stadium downtown that has a train in it...because nothing says great baseball like a freaking train.

Or, you know, it was put on a spot with history, not a just huge hole in the ground like the Ballpark in Arlington.

The "baseball town" thing the Rangers were touting and the two year old league championships at the games this year were equally pathetic.

The way the Rangers have been selling their farm teams they'll be back to mediocre in no time anyway.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 1

Or, you know, it was put on a spot with history, not a just huge hole in the ground like the Ballpark in Arlington.

The "baseball town" thing the Rangers were touting and the two year old league championships were equally pathetic.

The way the Rangers have been selling their farm teams they'll be back to mediocre in no time anyway.

Can't argue with this point...

But son, we both live in Texas. NEITHER Dallas, nor Houston are "Baseball towns". This state, no matter where you're from, is a "Football State".

Fact: The only "Baseball Town" in Texas is Corpus Christi.

Can't argue with this point...

But son, we both live in Texas. NEITHER Dallas, nor Houston are "Baseball towns". This state, no matter where you're from, is a "Football State".

Fact: The only "Baseball Town" in Texas is Corpus Christi.

Oh, I agree. Despite the Oiler debacle Houston is 100% football. I just found it stupid.

I'm sorry, I live by the Moneyball creed, it doesn't matter if you don't win the last game, which is why I get annoyed with Ranger fans trying to pretend that they're superior. In the same boat. I'd be inclined to respect the Cowboys as a better franchise if they had a title since 02...they don't so I don't understand why Cowboy fans try to claim superiority...we've sucked mostly since 2002, our inception, so have the Cowboys. The Oilers sucked. That's why we scalped them. We told Bud to go pound sand. I was never an Oiler fan.

Edited by meangreener

The "baseball town" thing the Rangers were touting and the two year old league championships were equally pathetic.

Coming from a fan of the team that is in the running for being among the worst ten teams of all time in MLB history--again--is nice. Your team is 45-93 and is only 35 games behind your Daddy in the AL West standings. If you had been in AL West the last two years it would've been the same, since you guys won a whopping 56 and 55 games.

And its funny that you guys talk revisionist history. Y'all act like the Astros have been awesome for the majority of their history and the Rangers just got good recently. LEts look back over the last 25 years. The Astros have 14 winning seasons in the last 25 years, with one NL pennant (and an embarrasing sweep in the WS by Chicago) and one other NLCS appearance. The Rangers, who you guys always say just got our "lifetime" fans back in 2009, have 13 winning seasons, with 2 AL pennants (4 wins in the WS) in our two ALCS appearances.

We won't even talk Texans/Oilers vs Cowboys, even with the recent improvement of your squad versus the ineptness of the Jerrah-led Cowboys. Hell, even Tony Romo has accomplished just as much as your Texans by advancing to the Divisonal Round of the Playoffs in the absolute worst stretch of history that Cowboys fans have suffered through. Think about that for a moment. In the franchise's worst stretch in its history, its still accomplished as much as the Texans have in their "glory" years. And except for the Luv Ya' Blue Oilers in 1978 and 1979, Houston has never even sniffed a Super Bowl apperance. Nice football history you have down there.

Coming from a fan of the team that is in the running for being among the worst ten teams of all time in MLB history--again--is nice. Your team is 45-93 and is only 35 games behind your Daddy in the AL West standings. If you had been in AL West the last two years it would've been the same, since you guys won a whopping 56 and 55 games.

And its funny that you guys talk revisionist history. Y'all act like the Astros have been awesome for the majority of their history and the Rangers just got good recently. LEts look back over the last 25 years. The Astros have 14 winning seasons in the last 25 years, with one NL pennant (and an embarrasing sweep in the WS by Chicago) and one other NLCS appearance. The Rangers, who you guys always say just got our "lifetime" fans back in 2009, have 13 winning seasons, with 2 AL pennants (4 wins in the WS) in our two ALCS appearances.

We won't even talk Texans/Oilers vs Cowboys, even with the recent improvement of your squad versus the ineptness of the Jerrah-led Cowboys. Hell, even Tony Romo has accomplished just as much as your Texans by advancing to the Divisonal Round of the Playoffs in the absolute worst stretch of history that Cowboys fans have suffered through. Think about that for a moment. In the franchise's worst stretch in its history, its still accomplished as much as the Texans have in their "glory" years. And except for the Luv Ya' Blue Oilers in 1978 and 1979, Houston has never even sniffed a Super Bowl apperance. Nice football history you have down there.

You do realize we had the 2nd best winning percentage in the MLB from 1994-2008, right? "Revisionist" history, bud.

The Texans have advanced to the divisional twice...so, yeah, we have done better and we're primed to do the same or go deeper with a stronger team in a hilariously weak conference.

Daddy? Well, it depends if 3 years of superiority makes someone their daddy. Then the Texans would be the Cowboys daddy, right?

You may end up with JesseMartin on the ignore list because you're surprisingly pretty low in the sports IQ area.

You can spin stats anyway you want, I'm not debating that our past 5 years have been bad. Why not subtract it five years prior to your new run and our Killer B era? Pretty lopsided, eh?

Luckily that UH is a community college or I would've left DFW in 2006 and never came back. But thank God for my benefit, Denton is only DFW by location only...

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You do realize we had the 2nd best winning percentage in the MLB from 1994-2008, right? "Revisionist" history, bud.

The Texans have advanced to the divisional twice...so, yeah, we have done better and we're primed to do the same or go deeper with a stronger team in a hilariously weak conference.

Daddy? Well, it depends if 3 years of superiority makes someone their daddy. Then the Texans would be the Cowboys daddy, right?

You may end up with JesseMartin on the ignore list because you're surprisingly pretty low in the sports IQ area.

I'm callinlg the Rangers your Daddy because you are now stuck in our division. Unlike before, when your owner made a deal to the new owner to sell the team on the condition that they move to the AL West, further alienating your dwindling fanbase. That's not even mentioning the fact that most of your fanbase can't even WACTH your team play if they don't have Comcast. But the new owner is making tons of cash!! That's awesome!! You're the UT of MLB--make more money than anyone, underachieve at a high rate!!

Surprisingly low in sports IQ is supporting Houston sports teams in an argument against ours. Not another sole in the country that would agree with you outside of the Toilet to the South. Nice of you to pick out your best 15 year stretch of history, though, to support your argument for the Astros. That'd be like me telling you that from 1977 thru 2006, the Cowboys won 4 Super Bowls, went to another one, and also went to the NFC Championship Game in that stretch 9 times.

6 pro champions and 12 championship apperances versus 2* MJ-less NBA titles and 3 titles appearances.//End of Thread

It's gonna sting next year when we take the Cowboys to the woodshed and y'all are outnumbered in your own stadium.

Like we did to y'all in 2010 at your place in Houston? Wade's only win that year before getting canned was against the Texans in Houston. I remember hearing lots of butthurt out of Oilers fans down in Houston still pissed about how many Cowboys fans were at Reliant.

BTW, I will give you one thing--Reliant is a much better place for football than JerrahWorld and its not close.