McCarney has no worries with newcomers

Harry

There were times earlier in Dan McCarney’s coaching career when he had to wait and wonder right up until the last minute how his freshmen would look heading into fall practice.

Coaches would sign their players in February during his tenure as a head coach at Iowa State and as an assistant at Iowa and Wisconsin and then hope that they arrived right before the start of two-a-days in late July in shape.

McCarney won’t have to worry about his newcomers heading into his third season at North Texas.

All of UNT’s freshmen reported on time for summer school and went through their first session of summer conditioning on Monday afternoon.

McCarney said he does not anticipate any late problems with NCAA qualifying standards that would prevent any of UNT’s incoming freshmen from being eligible this season.

The question for UNT now is whether or not any of the team’s freshmen and late-arriving junior college players can help the team right away.

Having all of them on campus is a good start.

“We have to see how well they will learn the system, but I sure like this class,” McCarney said. “It helps a lot to have them here. When camp starts, conditioning won’t be an issue.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130708-football-mccarney-has-no-worries-with-newcomers.ece

And does our Parade All American LB transfer from Oregon receive his immediate elgibility or does politics

do it to us again?

No word yet on that Plumm. Our track record has not been too good in that area.

Gotta give the coaching staff due credit for this. It's not always easy to single out prospects who can make it academically. A prospect and high school coach can tell you one thing, but....

Everyone, it seems, loses one or two because they didn't do their school work to finish high school in time or didn't do well enough on the SAT or ACT. To have 100% on board is a feather in the cap for McCarney & his crew.

Excellent work, coaches!

• Upvote 3

Gotta give the coaching staff due credit for this. It's not always easy to single out prospects who can make it academically. A prospect and high school coach can tell you one thing, but....

Everyone, it seems, loses one or two because they didn't do their school work to finish high school in time or didn't do well enough on the SAT or ACT. To have 100% on board is a feather in the cap for McCarney & his crew.

Excellent work, coaches!

Gotta second that. Outstanding. And the work of a first class staff, I might add.

• Upvote 2

Good sentiments and I agree 100% however, I would take it a step further and give some kudos to Cinnamon Sheffield and the compliance/academic counseling staff who have to handle the paperwork aspects of transcripts. I also think that representatives from the various colleges get involved in this process as well.

It seemed like under Dickey and Dodge there would always be a couple of disappointments, like Joey Byerly, Horton, etc that would be a downer to start the season. Mac has been amazing in that particular regard. He does things the right way.

I'm glad all the freshman made it considering there are only 14 of them. Does anyone know how many ships we have available for 2014? If we're truly at 85 scholarship players this should be a class of no more than 18 players if that.

7 Derek Thompson QB 6-4 226 GS Glen Rose, TX Glen Rose HS 90 Ryan Boutwell DT 6-3 269 GS China Spring, TX China Spring HS 11 Will Wright LB 6-2 221 SR Garland, TX South Garland HS 8 Marcus Trice DB 5-8 197 SR Mesquite, TX Oklahoma 80 Darnell Smith WR 6-1 208 SR Garland, TX Ellsworth CC 89 Daniel Prior TE 6-2 240 SR Henderson, TX Henderson HS 17 Lynrick Pleasant WR 6-2 200 SR Mesquite, TX Mesquite HS 35 Zachary Orr LB 6-1 223 SR DeSoto, TX DeSoto HS 37 Zach Olen PK 5-10 228 SR Richardson, TX Berkner HS 25 Bryan Monroe RB 5-8 192 SR Prosper, TX Prosper HS 86 Drew Miller TE 6-1 260 SR Prosper, TX Prosper HS 93 Brandon McCoy DE 6-2 257 SR Carrollton, TX Creekview HS 2 D.Q. Johnson DB 5-11 185 SR Des Moines, IA Iowa Western CC 6 Hilbert Jackson DB 6-1 187 SR Rowlett, TX Rowlett HS 3 Brelan Chancellor WR 5-9 183 SR Copperas Cove, TX Copperas Cove HS 83 Carl Caldwell WR 5-10 169 SR Whitehouse, TX Kansas Wesleyan 24 Brandin Byrd RB 5-10 216 SR Copperas Cove, TX Copperas Cove HS 19 Brady Brown WR 6-5 225 SR Argyle, TX Vanderbilt 44 Aaron Bellazin DE 6-2 244 SR Everman, TX Everman HS 64 LaChris Anyiam OL 6-4 296 SR Allen, TX Allen HS 97 Richard Abbe DT 6-4 315 SR Lubbock, TX Monterey HS

Edited by ntmeangreen11

I'm glad all the freshman made it considering there are only 14 of them. Does anyone know how many ships we have available for 2014? If we're truly at 85 scholarship players this should be a class of no more than 18 players if that.

7 Derek Thompson QB 6-4 226 GS Glen Rose, TX Glen Rose HS 90 Ryan Boutwell DT 6-3 269 GS China Spring, TX China Spring HS 11 Will Wright LB 6-2 221 SR Garland, TX South Garland HS 8 Marcus Trice DB 5-8 197 SR Mesquite, TX Oklahoma 80 Darnell Smith WR 6-1 208 SR Garland, TX Ellsworth CC 89 Daniel Prior TE 6-2 240 SR Henderson, TX Henderson HS 17 Lynrick Pleasant WR 6-2 200 SR Mesquite, TX Mesquite HS 35 Zachary Orr LB 6-1 223 SR DeSoto, TX DeSoto HS 37 Zach Olen PK 5-10 228 SR Richardson, TX Berkner HS 25 Bryan Monroe RB 5-8 192 SR Prosper, TX Prosper HS 86 Drew Miller TE 6-1 260 SR Prosper, TX Prosper HS 93 Brandon McCoy DE 6-2 257 SR Carrollton, TX Creekview HS 2 D.Q. Johnson DB 5-11 185 SR Des Moines, IA Iowa Western CC 6 Hilbert Jackson DB 6-1 187 SR Rowlett, TX Rowlett HS 3 Brelan Chancellor WR 5-9 183 SR Copperas Cove, TX Copperas Cove HS 83 Carl Caldwell WR 5-10 169 SR Whitehouse, TX Kansas Wesleyan 24 Brandin Byrd RB 5-10 216 SR Copperas Cove, TX Copperas Cove HS 19 Brady Brown WR 6-5 225 SR Argyle, TX Vanderbilt 44 Aaron Bellazin DE 6-2 244 SR Everman, TX Everman HS 64 LaChris Anyiam OL 6-4 296 SR Allen, TX Allen HS 97 Richard Abbe DT 6-4 315 SR Lubbock, TX Monterey HS

And I'm assuming Wallace will count towards this class since he probably won't be able to play this year...

I'm not sure I'm following you . . . I count 21 players on that list of players in their last year of eligibility.

• Upvote 1

I know we need more speed at wide receiver and I think that allows teams to load up against us but doesn't some of the blame belong on the offense itself? I mean we NEVER threw the ball on 1st down last year. Give our receivers the element of surprise and I think we might be surprised with what they can accomplish.

Right but how many are scholarship players? I'm not sure about Darnell Smith, Lynrick Pleasant, Bryan Monroe, Drew Miller, Hilbert Jackson, Carl Caldwell & Brady Brown.

Thanks, didn't think of that. I know Smith, Pleasant, Miller, and Jackson are on scholarship. I would assume Brown is as well. I assume Monroe is not. Carl Caldwell I have no idea.

I know that we've had some run ins with the law lately but I do love that McCarney only pulls in good upstanding men who get their academic situation under control. Love it. I'd rather have a bad team full of smart real men then a good team full of thugs.

At the Troy game, those kids were some of the trashiest people I've ever encountered. Trying to fight the student section...'grills', just acting like thugs. Shameful to Troy.

You're here to learn first, play second. In my opinion. Many schools have it backward.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

Coaches would sign their players in February during his tenure as a head coach at Iowa State and as an assistant at Iowa and Wisconsin and then hope that they arrived right before the start of two-a-days in late July in shape.

Sir Calvin would say that these days are not quite behind Coach Mac.

But his out-of-shapedness last year may not have been such a bad thing, long term. He got to red-shirt a year, hit the weight program, and mature a little. Let's hope he is ready to play this year, because he is really going to be needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know that we've had some run ins with the law lately but I do love that McCarney only pulls in good upstanding men who get their academic situation under control. Love it. I'd rather have a bad team full of smart real men then a good team full of thugs.

At the Troy game, those kids were some of the trashiest people I've ever encountered. Trying to fight the student section...'grills', just acting like thugs. Shameful to Troy.

You're here to learn first, play second. In my opinion. Many schools have it backward.

We had parents that were looking to fight at the drop of hat at the UL-Layfayette game in 2011. The player and parents are no longer with us.

• Upvote 1

Sir Calvin would say that these days are not quite behind Coach Mac.

But his out-of-shapedness last year may not have been such a bad thing, long term. He got to red-shirt a year, hit the weight program, and mature a little. Let's hope he is ready to play this year, because he is really going to be needed.

gallery_1_81_58379.jpg