NT HOF Worthy

GrandGreen

The athletic year is a round of golf and some track meets away from being over. So I though it would be appropriate to discuss what departing athletes should go into the NT HOF. Here are my nominations for future consideration.

First, I don't think anyone qualifies in football, WBB, WGolf, Softball, Volleyball,

Josephine Adams would be my best candidate. Several school records and multiple conference championships in last two years in track. She is listed as a sr. by NT, but a jr. in other places. Hope the latter is true, but either way she has already earned her way into the NT HOF.

Carlos Ortiz., the best player on the resurgence golf team. All conference 4 years

Michelle Young, Several top five NT all time stat leaders in soccer. All Belt two years.

Tony Mitchell, this is an iffy pick for me; but on the basic of his rookie year, rebound career record after only two years, and publicity he has gotten the school, and the belief he will be first drafted NBA in decades gives him my nod. He may need a solid pro career to cement a nomination. Something that should not matter but obviously does to the electing committee.

Catia Weickgenent - Top ten performer in NT swimming history in 10 different categories with numerous school records

Honorable Mention

Rodolfo Cazaubon - Another golfer who played a big part in NT's recent success

Barbara Vykydalova - Had a very good tennis career at NT, didn't play number 1 so it is hard to justify the HOF

Kimmy Phillips - Great two years in NT swimming, but no rewards for anyone transferring to another school

Edited by GrandGreen

The selection of Tony Mitchell would make us look quite desperate for a HOF selection regardless of his success in the pros. UNT was no more than a small but necessary stepping stone for Mitchell. Those considered for our HOF should be solidly identified with UNT.

• Upvote 2

The selection of Tony Mitchell would make us look quite desperate for a HOF selection regardless of his success in the pros. UNT was no more than a small but necessary stepping stone for Mitchell. Those considered for our HOF should be solidly identified with UNT.

Many schools have bestowed honors on kids who only played one or two years at their program. Kevin Durant had his jersey retired at Texas - he was there a year.

Tony admitted today that he didn't put out 100% on a below 500 team. Also, wasn't even a 1st or 2nd team All-Conference player. Most experts are in agreement that he had a very bad year, based on his potential. If the Hall was based on who brought the most national exposure to the program, he'd be a lock.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tony admitted today that he didn't put out 100% on a below 500 team. Also, wasn't even a 1st or 2nd team All-Conference player. Most experts are in agreement that he had a very bad year, based on his potential. If the Hall was based on who brought the most national exposure to the program, he'd be a lock.

He was 2nd team all conference?

http://www.wtvy.com/sports/headlines/All-Sun-Belt-Mens-Basketball-Teams-Announced-195692171.html

Edited by CMJ

Mitchell was a first team selection and should have been POY his first season, second team his sophomore season.

White is only a junior I think.

The NT HOF has lots of players IMO that should not be included. As far as MItchell, I can't think of any MBB players that have been inducted that were not a lot more deserving than Tony.

Mitchell is the all-time block leader in less than two full seasons of action. That plus almost averaging a double double for his career should at least put him in the discussion for the HOF, whether one thinks he didn't live up to his promise or not.

If he hadn't been so heralded and put up those stats, he'd be thought of much better.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

One of the objectives of this thread was to highlight some of the athletes in non-revenue sports; not just have another Mitchell discussion. IMO there is no doubt that several are much more deserving than MItchell and it would be nice if there was some discussion relative to the merits of these athletes. Volleyball, track (in all it variations), soccer, swimming, men's golf and even softball are much better programs now than MBB or football.

Mitchell was a first team selection and should have been POY his first season, second team his sophomore season.

White is only a junior I think.

The NT HOF has lots of players IMO that should not be included. As far as MItchell, I can't think of any MBB players that have been inducted that were not a lot more deserving than Tony.

White is a senior

Recently broke school record in 400m hurdles & his time (49.93) is good for 3rd best in nation

• Upvote 2

White is a senior

Recently broke school record in 400m hurdles & his time (49.93) is good for 3rd best in nation

White is certainly a good candidate, and it would be very close if you only picked one from track between him and Adams. Could see both in one day, White has an edge in that he has been here for 4 seasons.

If Brian Watters can be in the NT HOF based on his professional career, so can Tony Mitchell. Tony just has to have a nice professional career.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1