Fouts Demolition Begins June 17

UNTflyer

I would imagine that everything possible will be sold to boost revenue, and if not, then it needs to be re-thought. Sell the crappy scoreboard, bricks to alums, whatever. I know Fouts was crappy, falling apart, and outdated, but I have tons of great memories of it and hope to wander a bit there while it's still being used for track.

• Upvote 1

Did they ever remove the relief portrayls? And if not, were they still planning on it before the demolition (or is it impossible)?

This is mentioned in the PDF: "1.2.3 Alternate No. 2 Salvage to Owner, 9 cast stone panels from East Concourse Structure

• Upvote 1

Fouts is supposed to be a terrific track and field stadium. I'm sure that hundreds of fans agree with that. Its just sad that thousands of fans had to put up with watching football in a stadium that was perfect for track and field for so long. The day that place gets demolished won't be a bitter day for me. Trust me, as someone who worked in that place for 4.5 years, that place was the ultimate dump.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would imagine that everything possible will be sold to boost revenue, and if not, then it needs to be re-thought. Sell the crappy scoreboard, bricks to alums, whatever. I know Fouts was crappy, falling apart, and outdated, but I have tons of great memories of it and hope to wander a bit there while it's still being used for track.

I'm with you. I hit every game the last season of Fouts. That's what got me involved in UNT sports. That place was cool, to me.

I'd definitely buy up some of that. But it may cost more to preserve those pieces in the demo process than they'd reasonably expect to make back in the sale.

• Upvote 2

I wish they would tear down the advertising on the west side of Fouts if it is to remain up for awhile. The big ads are really classless looking...especially since they have allowed them to fade in the sun, etc.

• Upvote 2

Yes, that is the old north endzone scoreboard that barely worked anyway. The large Daktronics board in the south endzone is too remain.

I was really bummed when they allowed the old north endzone scoreboard to just sit there broken.

I'll always hold a soft spot in my heart for those old cheesy light bulb graphics.

• Upvote 1

So we'll no longer have the largest, sole purpose, track and field stadium in the world? Shucks.

Well it never was...... The London Olympic Stadium is a track and field only stadium as it currently sits. The infield is too small for soccer or rugby but there are negotiations going on to convert it into a soccer/rugby stadium which will require them to demolish the track to fit the full-size field in there.

Wichita State's Cessna Stadium seats 30,000 (because they don't have a football team anymore and don't have soccer). The amazing Hayward Field at the University of Oregon holds about 10,500 (has been track and field only since 1967!). Arkansas' John McDonnell Field in Fayetteville holds 7,000.

In the new CUSA, UNC-Charlotte, FAU, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky (and us) have dedicated Track and Field stadiums.

In the state of Texas, A&M, Lamar, Texas Tech, UTEP, and TCU (and us) have dedicated track stadiums.

• Upvote 1

Knowing UNT's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if the deconstruction crew gets the names mixed up and Apogee is demolished instead.

You are so incredibly witty Cougar. At least Scrappy wasn't named after some pissy, girly soft drink.