This season's record

untjim1995

Do you ever think before you post? That had to be the most childish, uncalled for bunch of dribble I've read in a while.

If the coaches truly did not trust DT, he wouldn't still be the starter in spite of 2012. Hell, if you want to see who the coaches don't trust, his name is Brent Osborn. BB is clearly unproven and according to your staff (and from the practice videos and spring game) DT is the best you guys have. Instead of making post insulting and bashing your QB, at least give constructive crticism on why you don't like him under center.

According to any film BB is the far superior QB. DT is only the starter because BB was hurt all spring and has barely run our offense with the starting unit. It baffles me when people say DT gives us the best chance to win next year. Didnt his crappy performances last year prove he's incapable of leading us to a winning record? The games we won last year were despite of DT's play, not because of it.

The coaches are waiting to hand the team over to BB. Once he's healthy and shows he has a firm grasp of the Playbook the team will be his. I'm not sure when it will happen, but by the time we head to NOLA next fall BB will be QB #1.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I know you aren't related to Derek Thompson, since you can't even spell his name right. I can argue with you all day, but you're never going to change your mind. I also realize you really like the word fuzzy.

12 home games of Thompson and the Houston game this year is what I've seen of him. I've seen all I need to of him to get a good idea of his skills, in my opinion at least.

You restricted my logic to what you want it to be, but I think Mcnulty and DT are below average D1 qbs for multiple reasons. BB is running third string because he missed a lot of practice, whether you want to believe that or not. He is the most talented, looked really good in the spring game, and showed me signs that he could potentially be a difference maker for our offense.

Like everyone says, he has the tools. Allow me to explain what that means.

Look at our redzone woes last year. In the redzone the throwing windows are tighter and close faster. This means you need arm strength, a quick release, and solid accuracy to complete passes in the redzone. DT struggles in all 3 of these departments which is why he was embarrassingly bad in the red zone, but BB showed me that he can fit it in tight windows this spring. Our qb was bad in the red zone, so were we. QB and offensive success go hand in hand. It is overwhelmingly the most important position in the sport no matter how you slice it. BB gives us a better chance, particularly in the red zone because he has the accuracy, arm strength, and quick release that DT does not, not to mention the wildcard of the running threat which DT does not possess as well.

That is why I think we will be able to score more points with BB at qb. I don't expect BB to be Johnny Manziel, just a qb who can get us more tds and lead us to more than 20.9 points per game (105th in the nation).

I also like Mcnulty's skill set, but I don't think he has the arm strength that BB. The jury is still out on him, but he appears to have improved.

Trussell is a good friend of mine. If you envision me carrying his jock around that's fine. I don't think he deserves to start. He needs to improve a lot on his pass protection, but he does have a lot of potential and looks good in the run game.

I played quarterback growing up as well, and got to spend a lot of one on one time in the film room with my offensive coordinator since I was the starting center, and later after I told him that I potentially wanted to coach in the future. Coach Rives at Arlington Martin has taught me a lot about offense. I'm not just telling you what I heard Mel Kiper say on ESPN one time.

Being a member of a coaching family, I started helping cut up film when I was around 11/12 years old, and I do mean film. Not to mention all the time I spent in HS and college watching film as a Center and Nose Tackle. I now have Uncles, Nephews, and Cousins coaching football at all levels so every time we watch a game it ends up being a critique session. You know what, those guys are paid to coach and evaluate, very rarely do they all agree on anything so I don't have a problem with you being a BB fan or thinking he will be the man come fall! I only have a problem with how critical you are of DT. Different coaches like different types of players and you are not a coach...yet.

Brock has been virtually out of competitive football for 3 years, ZERO real game competition during that time. His lack of experience shows everytime he makes a throw after crossing the line of scrimmage, which has happened about a half dozen times i've had the opportunity to watch him practice or scrimmage. His touch throws do not impress me nor do the little jump passes he seems to like so much. What does impress me is his ability to make something out of nothing but I think he relies on that part of his game way to much for a college system. Generally that happens when someone is not familar with a system. I also don't think there is much difference in arm strength but BB does have a quicker release.

Brock needs more seasoning to get back in sync. Like I said, I think Brock is the Qb of the future but I won't have the dim view of the season many have when DT is the man this year. Points per game, RZ or otherwise, are more a result of a scheme/coach than a player. I am lucky enough to have gotten one on one time with both Mac and Canales the past several years and they like what DT, BB, & MiniMac bring to the table, each is a little different but what else is a coach going to say to someone outside of his coaching fraternity? You can root for BB to be the man and swear he is the second coming of Tom Brady (whose college evaluations sounded more like DT than BB) but he has not shown me the ability to put it all together at this point. I want 2013 to be the season where North Texas puts it all together. Most things being equal, I'll take experience every day and twice on Saturdays! Of course, your entitled to your own opinion and face facts that is all that either of us have at this point. As I've told BB and DT, good luck, compete, and may the best man for North Texas win! To fuzzy for you?

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Being a member of a coaching family, I started helping cut up film when I was around 11/12 years old, and I do mean film. Not to mention all the time I spent in HS and college watching film as a Center and Nose Tackle. I now have Uncles, Nephews, and Cousins coaching football at all levels so every time we watch a game it ends up being a critique session. You know what, those guys are paid to coach and evaluate, very rarely do they all agree on anything so I don't have a problem with you being a BB fan or thinking he will be the man come fall! I only have a problem with how critical you are of DT. Different coaches like different types of players and you are not a coach...yet.

Brock has been virtually out of competitive football for 3 years, ZERO real game competition during that time. His lack of experience shows everytime he makes a throw after crossing the line of scrimmage, which has happened about a half dozen times i've had the opportunity to watch him practice or scrimmage. His touch throws do not impress me nor do the little jump passes he seems to like so much. What does impress me is his ability to make something out of nothing but I think he relies on that part of his game way to much for a college system. Generally that happens when someone is not familar with a system. I also don't think there is much difference in arm strength but BB does have a quicker release.

Brock needs more seasoning to get back in sync. Like I said, I think Brock is the Qb of the future but I won't have the dim view of the season many have when DT is the man this year. Points per game, RZ or otherwise, are more a result of a scheme/coach than a player. I am lucky enough to have gotten one on one time with both Mac and Canales the past several years and they like what DT, BB, & MiniMac bring to the table, each is a little different but what else is a coach going to say to someone outside of his coaching fraternity? You can root for BB to be the man and swear he is the second coming of Tom Brady (whose college evaluations sounded more like DT than BB) but he has not shown me the ability to put it all together at this point. I want 2013 to be the season where North Texas puts it all together. Most things being equal, I'll take experience every day and twice on Saturdays! Of course, your entitled to your own opinion and face facts that is all that either of us have at this point. As I've told BB and DT, good luck, compete, and may the best man for North Texas win! To fuzzy for you?

GMG!

I'm not saying I'm a professional evaluator or that you aren't, but I feel like my point regarding why DT was inefficient in the red zone, and overall, was not rebutted.

I'll stand by my points that his slow release, below average accuracy, and below average arm strength are the reason he and our RZ passing game was inefficient. You said scheme and coaching have more to do with our redzone woes than those attributes of DT's passing ability do.

I disagree with that, and I think others would agree with me and some would agree with you. I don't know the way everyone else thinks, that's just my rationale to why we couldn't score passing touchdowns in the redzone last year.

Time for some "anti BillySee." These are my opinions, just not what people are used to regarding my opinions of DT and BB.

What I like about DT:

1. He has good pocket presence, doesn't take sacks and gets the ball away when need be.

2. Throws the ball well out of different arm angles. This is especially handy with the screen and short passing game. See the screen pass to Jimmerson to win the LaLa game.

3. As many have said before, he is decent between the 20s, especially with shorter routes in the middle of the field. He throws decent passes on slants and hitches. See the K State game. Almost all slants and hitches.

What I dislike about Berglund:

1. He does make risky throws. Expect some interceptions into double coverage. Personally, I don't have a problem with a relatively high interception total as long as that qb makes their fare share of plays. Guys like Luck, Brees, Peyton manning, and a certain cowboys qb you guys love to hate throw interceptions but they throw more tds and make plays to keep their teams in almost any game. Not saying BB is at that level, but if he's getting us in the endzone I don't mind his risks backfiring every once in a while.

2. He needs to feel the pass rush better and, as you said, be overall more aware on the field. He can't hold the ball all day, and part of being a risk taker is that he wants to make something happen every play. He needs to learn to throw the ball away and move on to the next play. Just not on 4th an goal.

3. Yes, he needs experience. However, we are seeing more and more redshirt freshman come in and have success in this day and age, in my opinion because of qb camps and 7-on-7 tourneys that really get young qbs mentally ready for college. That doesn't mean they don't make their rookie mistakes. He will make mistakes early, but he has to learn and improve. Be coachable.

Again, points that others can disagree with. Just my opinions based on what I've seen.

Also, Brady was drafted in the 6th round. What evaluations have you seen that are similar to DT's at this point in college? Other than the fact that they are tall and "pocket-passer qbs."

• Upvote 1

GMG!

Good post! :thumbsu:

I don't think any of us would have any problem with DT putting it all together to have a career year his last Fall at UNT giving BB more under-study time. Still good to know that we have 2 other QB's in the wing if #1 goes down. We've needed 3 QB's at UNT many times since I've been watching this, circa 1973.

GMG! Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We've needed 3 QB's at UNT many times since I've been watching this, circa 1973.

Funny, I was thinking about Hall/Smith/Gonzales earlier today. One year things looked like everything was on the way up...

• Upvote 1

Do you ever think before you post? That had to be the most childish, uncalled for bunch of dribble I've read in a while.

If the coaches truly did not trust DT, he wouldn't still be the starter in spite of 2012. Hell, if you want to see who the coaches don't trust, his name is Brent Osborn. BB is clearly unproven and according to your staff (and from the practice videos and spring game) DT is the best you guys have. Instead of making post insulting and bashing your QB, at least give constructive crticism on why you don't like him under center.

Mom, meatloaf...

Why am I not surprised that the post was deleted? You folks love to sugarcoat the obvious and if you're okay with 3-9 than that's your prerogative...DT is a terrible QB that wouldn't cut it at most FCS schools. He's never done anything notable. At all. He may be a leader, and that's all nice...but that doesn't win you games when you have no talent to back that up. A very green Berglund gives us quadruple the chance to win DT has ever given us. Like I said, he may be a nice guy and that's cool and all. Is he a winner? No. I don't want to see UNT drop back into single digit attendance and I'm tired of us getting passed by by the likes of ULM. Or even catch lightning in a bottle, like ULM. But, no. We get 4-8 every year or a bunch of conference championships at 5-7/6-6.

Hey, Queen, I'm coming down to Houston in a few weeks,.can I come to your house and have some of your Mom's delicious meatloaf? If I go to UH's grad school, wanna be roommates? <3

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I know you aren't related to Derek Thompson, since you can't even spell his name right. I can argue with you all day, but you're never going to change your mind. I also realize you really like the word fuzzy.

12 home games of Thompson and the Houston game this year is what I've seen of him. I've seen all I need to of him to get a good idea of his skills, in my opinion at least.

You restricted my logic to what you want it to be, but I think Mcnulty and DT are below average D1 qbs for multiple reasons. BB is running third string because he missed a lot of practice, whether you want to believe that or not. He is the most talented, looked really good in the spring game, and showed me signs that he could potentially be a difference maker for our offense.

Like everyone says, he has the tools. Allow me to explain what that means.

Look at our redzone woes last year. In the redzone the throwing windows are tighter and close faster. This means you need arm strength, a quick release, and solid accuracy to complete passes in the redzone. DT struggles in all 3 of these departments which is why he was embarrassingly bad in the red zone, but BB showed me that he can fit it in tight windows this spring. Our qb was bad in the red zone, so were we. QB and offensive success go hand in hand. It is overwhelmingly the most important position in the sport no matter how you slice it. BB gives us a better chance, particularly in the red zone because he has the accuracy, arm strength, and quick release that DT does not, not to mention the wildcard of the running threat which DT does not possess as well.

Those are the kind of throws that you need to make in the red zone, but they are also the most risky. Since we have a taller group of WR's this year, I would prefer that BB (and McNulty) work on their fade route passes, which requires "touch".

hat is why I think we will be able to score more points with BB at qb. I don't expect BB to be Johnny Manziel, just a qb who can get us more tds and lead us to more than 20.9 points per game (105th in the nation).

Johnny Football? Hell I'd be happy with someone almost as good as Kolton Browning...or that QB from Ark St.

Ideally I would love to see the second coming of Scott Hall, Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, or Jordan Case.

As to McNulty's skill set. I like his speed. His arm strength is decent, and the "intangible" I saw (and liked) was that he didn't get rattled under heavy pressure. He got the ball knocked out of his hand a time or two, but any of the other QB's would have fumbled it if they had been hit the same way.

You visiting fan gotta love our UNT fanbase. We've got a third team quarterback who couldn't win the job at Kansas or Random Arizona JUCO, and they compare him to Johnny Manziel.

Ol' football Johnny sat out a year and stuck around to compete for the job he now has. Even after the coach who signed him got canned, he stuck around - even after Kevin Sumlin made him no guarantees about the starting job. He won it and the rest is history.

We've got people so hard up here that they've lost all perspective. You've got 11 men on the field at a time, not one. Derek Thompson may not be Superman, but he's no slouch either.

I'm 113% not worried about Derek Thompson.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

You visiting fan gotta love our UNT fanbase. We've got a third team quarterback who couldn't win the job at Kansas or Random Arizona JUCO, and they compare him to Johnny Manziel.

Ol' football Johnny sat out a year and stuck around to compete for the job he now has. Even after the coach he signed him got canned, he stuck around - even after Kevin Sumlin made him no guarantees about the starting job. He won it and the rest is history.

We've got people so hard up here that they've lost all perspective. You've got 11 men on the field at a time, not one. Derek Thompson may not be Superman, but he's no slouch either.

Thank you! I get tired of the same ol' 110% statement. Besides, odd numbers are funnier than even numbers. Edited by SilverEagle

Ol' football Johnny sat out a year and stuck around to compete for the job he now has. Even after the coach he signed him got canned, he stuck around - even after Kevin Sumlin made him no guarantees about the starting job. He won it and the rest is history.

You hear what you want to. I said we DON'T need Berglund to be Johnny Manziel. Don't. Do not. I didn't compare them but that's what you wanted to read so you read it and translated it in your head that way.

Same thing with Berglund's past. You selectively read what you want to read.

If you read into it, you would see that Berglund was going into his true freshman season as the backup qb to Jordan Webb, and would've had a chance to win the job in the fall. He made a bad life decision in a tough situation, and he was not able to be with the team or at the school for the semester of his freshman season. His play was not the problem.

As for his time at Scottsdale, if you look at the stats from the scrimmage he played in, he got the most playing time of all three qbs. I don't know if he would've started, but judging by how much playing time he got compared to the other two qbs, it seemed that he was in line to be the starter there.

I think he gives us a better chance to win than Thompson. I saw Thompson have all day to throw last year and end up throwing a wobbler or an overthrow. He didn't have a great receiving corp, but he didn't make enough throws when players were open.

Berglund might end up being a bust, but his skills give us a chance. Thompson's skills are limited and are a big reason we struggled offensively last year.

Football is a team sport, but quarterback is the most important position.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You hear what you want to. I said we DON'T need Berglund to be Johnny Manziel. Don't. Do not. I didn't compare them but that's what you wanted to read so you read it and translated it in your head that way.

Same thing with Berglund's past. You selectively read what you want to read.

If you read into it, you would see that Berglund was going into his true freshman season as the backup qb to Jordan Webb, and would've had a chance to win the job in the fall. He made a bad life decision in a tough situation, and he was not able to be with the team or at the school for the semester of his freshman season. His play was not the problem.

As for his time at Scottsdale, if you look at the stats from the scrimmage he played in, he got the most playing time of all three qbs. I don't know if he would've started, but judging by how much playing time he got compared to the other two qbs, it seemed that he was in line to be the starter there.

I think he gives us a better chance to win than Thompson. I saw Thompson have all day to throw last year and end up throwing a wobbler or an overthrow. He didn't have a great receiving corp, but he didn't make enough throws when players were open.

Berglund might end up being a bust, but his skills give us a chance. Thompson's skills are limited and are a big reason we struggled offensively last year.

Football is a team sport, but quarterback is the most important position.

He definitely would've gotten the start. He decided that community college was not a good idea and that he could jump right into D1 at UNT. It was a good decision, should've never went to Scottsdale in the first place. The fact that he transferred in and is good enough to possibly unseat our "dearly beloved captain Derek Thompson" should be proof enough.

• Upvote 1

I keep thinking about how lucky we are going to be to have #7 lining up at center this season - a fifth year senior...three year starter...with a better interception per attempt ratio than USC's Matt Barkley.

We'll be the envy of the C-USun Belt. Hear me now, believe me later.

Derek Thompson is THE man. Loyal and hard-working. Love his blue collar toughness. Derek, Derek, he's our man...if he can't do it, no one can!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My only worry is that Derek won't also be able to play wide receiver and defensive tackle, positions where we really need help. He's only one man. If only there were 21 more of him. And, also a deep snapper like him, a punt like him, and a kicker like him. So, we need, really, 24 kids with Derek-like ability and attitude. Otherwise, we will fail and fail and fail.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1