US Soccer play comes out as Homosexual

It's too bad he is calling it quits, and hopefully it isn't just because he revealed he is gay. The injuries have probably taken their toll and he wants to try something else. He was a great player for Columbus and found himself just on the brink of the US National team at times. I think he has somewhere around 20 caps and nearly made the 2010 world cup roster. Best of luck to him...if he ever decides to pick up soccer again, I'm sure finding a spot with an MLS club will not be a problem.

• Upvote 1

So? I think it is telling that THIS story has made the forum, but not the one about the 4 people being murdered in California.

This made the forum because it is historic. The four deaths didn't because sadly, people are murdered everyday. How many other professional athletes have had the courage to reveal they are homosexual during their playing career?

• Upvote 2

This made the forum because it is historic. The four deaths didn't because sadly, people are murdered everyday. How many other professional athletes have had the courage to reveal they are homosexual during their playing career?

He didn't come out during his playing career. He announced he was gay and that he was quitting soccer.

• Upvote 1

Non-story as far as I am concerned. I have no issue with gay athletes and could care less if they are gay or not. All I care about is how they do their job. Just like during my professional career. Who cares? Has zero to do with the guys ability. Good luck to the guy, but this may really have more to do with his skills on the pitch and where he sees his career going than it does with his being gay. Either way...who cares?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Someone publicly declaring their sexuality is hiustoric? Lol!!

And we wonder why we have the problems that we do in this country.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Someone publicly declaring their sexuality is hiustoric? Lol!!

And we wonder why we have the problems that we do in this country.

Yeah, problems where if someone decides to be open about their gender preference, they might be dragged behind a car, assaulted, or even kicked out of their own family. But whatever, only us straight folks have it rough, all these not-straight people around, not-straighting-up the place.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, problems where if someone decides to be open about their gender preference, they might be dragged behind a car, assaulted, or even kicked out of their own family. But whatever, only us straight folks have it rough, all these not-straight people around, not-straighting-up the place.

Ya, because he should be heralded as a national hero, right? I mean, forget about grown up problems of paying the coutry's bills and all, let's just focus on some gay guy coming out so we can all tell ourselves how accepting and compassionate we are for his "plight." That makes us FEEL so much better about oursleves because we are so enlightened and compassionate.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Ya, because he should be heralded as a national hero, right? I mean, forget about grown up problems of paying the coutry's bills and all, let's just focus on some gay guy coming out so we can all tell ourselves how accepting and compassionate we are for his "plight." That makes us FEEL so much better about oursleves because we are so enlightened and compassionate.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything you are talking about. This has nothing to do with anything like paying the countries bills or any other problem our government is dealing/ notdealing with, not everything ties into the, "America is a sinking ship" narrative people love to talk about. I do think you are right though, it's not that big of a deal. The guy is gay, so what, that's how we SHOULD look at it. It should not be a big deal in this day and age if a person is gay or straight, why should we care. He's just another retired player that came out after he walked away, nothing groundbreaking.

• Upvote 4

This doesn't have anything to do with anything you are talking about. This has nothing to do with anything like paying the countries bills or any other problem our government is dealing/ notdealing with, not everything ties into the, "America is a sinking ship" narrative people love to talk about. I do think you are right though, it's not that big of a deal. The guy is gay, so what, that's how we SHOULD look at it. It should not be a big deal in this day and age if a person is gay or straight, why should we care. He's just another retired player that came out after he walked away, nothing groundbreaking.

That's not exactly true either. He came out SIMULTANEOUSLY with walking away. Not before. Not after.

• Upvote 1

Gee, WHERE on earth does he live that he would have to live in fear of that? Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Dubai, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey.....?

Rick

Come on, Rick. Let him feel good about himself thinking that his reversed moral self-righteousness for this poor guy's plight means something.

Just never mind that what he said never happens. It was just a thinly veiled attempt to call me a... Racist? No, that's not right... Sexist? No, not that either... Violent homophobe? Ya, that was pretty much the insinuation. You know, because I don't share his beliefs.

Kinda funny, actually.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

Come on, Rick. Let him feel good about himself thinking that his reversed moral self-righteousness for this poor guy's plight means something.

Just never mind that what he said never happens. It was just a thinly veiled attempt to call me a... Racist? No, that's not right... Sexist? No, not that either... Violent homophobe? Ya, that was pretty much the insinuation. You know, because I don't share his beliefs.

Kinda funny, actually.

Homosexuals being assaulted, or even kicked out of their own family never happens? That's good.

• Upvote 7

Homosexuals being assaulted, or even kicked out of their own family never happens? That's good.

So now I'm responsible for what their family thinks of them?

Homosexual "family" violence is far more prevelant than homosexuals being assualted because of their sexuality.

But keep on pointing out the exceptions and ignoring the rules.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

So now I'm responsible for what their family thinks of them?

Homosexual "family" violence is far more prevelant than homosexuals being assualted because of their sexuality.

But keep on pointing out the exceptions and ignoring the rules.

Doesn't mean it's not still an issue and as such, something to be concerned about. I mean, being white in America basically drops the odds of someone being the victim a hate crime down by a gigantic factor, but a hate crime is still a hate crime and it's still wrong.

To the point of the thread - the guy came out just before retirement. Being open about his sexuality was something he felt may cause a lot of trouble for his team, family and friends. Hell, he might have been of the mind some of those people would turn on him. His coming out isn't really all that newsworthy, to be totally honest. Good on him for being honest about it, but it's not newsworthy. My thoughts were, "he's gay, what of it?" I'd actually managed not to comment on this thread up until the news story and the guy being gay were labeled "EVERYTHING WRONG WITH AMERICA."

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

All the more reason not to flaunt it. Sexual activity is private. Who gives a rat's rear what our sexual orientation is? Does that make him or anyone else a better athlete? Do adulterers broadcast that fact? Just keep your private life private; it's no one else's business and can cause a lot of ill will.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

All the more reason not to flaunt it. Sexual activity is private. Who gives a rat's rear what our sexual orientation is? Does that make him or anyone else a better athlete? Do adulterers broadcast that fact? Just keep your private life private; it's no one else's business and can cause a lot of ill will.

Right. I mean, you can't expect a homophobic bigot to have the self-control and decency to not cause physical harm to some fag-o-queer-sexual if he/she is out holding hands with his husband / her wife...same way you can't expect a rapist to not forcibly penetrate a woman if she's dressed like a tramp-whore.

Seriously you twinks and sluts, stop flaunting it or you're gonna get what you deserve.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Right. I mean, you can't expect a homophobic bigot to have the self-control and decency to not cause physical harm to some fag-o-queer-sexual if he/she is out holding hands with his husband / her wife...same way you can't expect a rapist to not forcibly penetrate a woman if she's dressed like a tramp-whore.

Seriously you twinks and sluts, stop flaunting it or you're gonna get what you deserve.

Yep, homosexuals deserve the pity and sympathy that we give rape victims.

You really... Nailed?... that one.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3