WFAA on this UNT team

Andrew

I like the part talking about how Benford was not brought in to emulate JJ but instead bring in a completely new look to the team. Even though we are talented it is not the end of the world of we continue to lose this season. Rebuilding takes time and everyone understands this is a team rebuilding. Well everyone but (as the article put it) the illogical, emotion driven and out of touch with reality fans. I guess they mean Emmitt, NT90 and cry me a river crew.

Benford was given this team on a silver platter. HE F'd it up!

• Upvote 5

Funny any one who is a coach would ocnsidwr this a rebuilding year. I have heard it considered that by many people who I would hold in much higher esteem then you when it comes to basketball knowledge then you. Even the article considers it that. The people on these boards are absolutely out of touch with anything sports.

What are you rebuilding when you make it to the conference championship for the second year in a row and come just short again of making the Big Dance?!? Despite having to learn a new offensive system at least a .500 wouldn't have made this season a complete failure.

• Upvote 1

Rebuilding with the best player to ever wear a UNT jersey. Totally a rebuilding year.

Things aren't going to be better next year with that player leaving for the NBA plus playing tougher competition in a new conference. It will be interesting to see if there are any transfers. Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

You are transitioning into a new system. It is beyond me that one one can understand this. It just makes it clear that no one on here has ever coached at a level beyond middle school. I get it... We had an excellent team last year one game away from going dancing. Benford inherited a great team. He still has to mold it into the team he wants and thinks can win. I have no other way of explaining this. People who are on my level completely understand. I then come on here and get "mocked" by people who have little clue. They sit in front of a computer and read stats or watch sports center for talking points. They could not even sit and watch a game and the second the ball crosses the court tell what offense they are running, where the ball is moving, and who is going to take the shot. I am not the best at this but I know plenty of people who can and those are the people who I will rely on. You watch the game and stare down Benford, or the refs. Others at least try to watch the game and see what should happen. I am sure it is difficult for me to explain it over the computer, but those are things you should look. Which way is the ball going to move, where are they going to trap, what offense are they running etc. This are things people should look at. It is really whatever... We can all have our own opinions, get along and support this mean green team.

Benford,

If JJ didn't run much of a system and we made it as far as we did then why can't Benford just roll the ball out there and tell them to play too? His job is to win games. He can try and teach them a system, but guess what, if they don't catch on its HIS job as a coach to make it work. A coach can't keep trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. That simple. As a coach you need to make changes as the season goes. Like with Dodge not making 2nd half adjustments, same thing, you change as the season progresses.

• Upvote 3

New coaches come in every year all around the country. Many struggle at first...because they are taking over lousy rosters. Some get lucky and get good rosters.

If Benford had inherited a ULM type of talent and won 9 games I'd think he was doing a good job and setting things up for the future. He's won 9 games with a loaded roster!

• Upvote 4

You are transitioning into a new system. It is beyond me that one one can understand this. It just makes it clear that no one on here has ever coached at a level beyond middle school. I get it... We had an excellent team last year one game away from going dancing. Benford inherited a great team. He still has to mold it into the team he wants and thinks can win. I have no other way of explaining this. People who are on my level completely understand. I then come on here and get "mocked" by people who have little clue. They sit in front of a computer and read stats or watch sports center for talking points. They could not even sit and watch a game and the second the ball crosses the court tell what offense they are running, where the ball is moving, and who is going to take the shot. I am not the best at this but I know plenty of people who can and those are the people who I will rely on. You watch the game and stare down Benford, or the refs. Others at least try to watch the game and see what should happen. I am sure it is difficult for me to explain it over the computer, but those are things you should look. Which way is the ball going to move, where are they going to trap, what offense are they running etc. This are things people should look at. It is really whatever... We can all have our own opinions, get along and support this mean green team.

Benford,

Tony was ranked 2nd best player in Texas, Jordan was 6th, Roger was at Ok. st,, Alzee was great last year and has been a great Sun Belt player...........How do you have that and still lose to Monroe twice? They should be able to go out and play knockout everyday in practice and then still go beat Monroe. Shouldn't take 25 games to learn how to defend or get good shots in an offense. But of course since you have coached past the middle school level, talked to a UNT player on Facebook and have played a pickup game at the rec you know something we all don't.

• Upvote 2

Benford,

LSU was 18-15 last year and are 14-8 this year. How do you explain the fact LSU players have seemed to learn JJ's system so fast?

• Upvote 2

Tony was ranked 2nd best player in Texas, Jordan was 6th, Roger was at Ok. st,, Alzee was great last year and has been a great Sun Belt player...........How do you have that and still lose to Monroe twice? They should be able to go out and play knockout everyday in practice and then still go beat Monroe. Shouldn't take 25 games to learn how to defend or get good shots in an offense. But of course since you have coached past the middle school level, talked to a UNT player on Facebook and have played a pickup game at the rec you know something we all don't.

Did I ever say I did many of things? Or are you just assuming? I'm out.... I will take a break and see what happens in hot springs. There is way to much negativity and it is literally clouding people's minds. I know there are people on these boards who know more then me... Some post and some do not post at all.... I am not some basketball God, but I do think that I know enough about the game. See some of you at the Thursday.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Did I ever say I did many of things? Or are you just assuming? I'm out.... I will take a break and see what happens in hot springs. There is way to much negativity and it is literally clouding people's minds. I know there are people on these boards who know more then me... Some post and some do not post at all.... I am not some basketball God, but I do think that I know enough about the game. See some of you at the Thursday.

Just curious, and I hope you answer. How in any way is losing to ULM twice acceptable when they have only won 4 games? How can we not be negative when we are avid fans who had high expectations and this is what has happened?

• Upvote 1