Don't drop it. My emerald chipped after a drop. Never got around to fixing it because I was back in school getting my Masters and would just be replacing the whole ring. It eventually fell out. Life has gotten in the way and I'm unable to afford an MBA ring two years after graduating. So I proudly wear my ring with an empty North Texas Star every day. You don't want a picture of mine.

I say it every year, but this year I'm getting a new one.

Congratulations!

My undergrad ring from 19 years ago (not from UNT) is still in fine shape, but for whatever reason, I stopped wearing it. It felt too big and gaudy unless I was at a reasonably formal event.

Given the price of gold these days, I couldn't justify the expense of buying a ring for the MS, and I felt a little weird about being a 40 year old man with a ring that said 2011 on it.

That said, I'm glad I got the first ring, it's still in great shape, and I still bust it out every once in a while when I'm feeling fancy.

Edit: Sometimes I do think it would be funny to wear a history ring from California to an accounting office full of aggie and horned frog accounting rings.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

I love wearing my ring. I wear it everyday just like I wear my wedding ring. I got the XL version, white gold, with only the star in the middle. Everyone always thinks I won some sort of championship. It's huge on my hand, but that's exactly what I wanted. For some reason, the white gold looks almost yellow sometimes and people ask if I went to A&M.

• Upvote 2

I have the exact same ring, xl, white gold. Love it, I used to wear it everyday, but not quite as much these days. It's a giant ring, last time I was in New York, a nice old lady saw it and asked me if I had won a super bowl. Also it makes a really great bottle opener! :thumbsu:

Congrats on getting your ring, wear it proudly, go mean green.

• Upvote 1

I love reading the stories, guys... Very moving.

I just worked full time, went to school full time and had very little to start with though I've trudged on to building the better life I now enjoy. My wife and new twin babies were a part of that mix.
I wanted a monument to my efforts and the Lord's provision and boy did I get one.

I work as in IT professional at A&M so I can't wait for all the conversation this behemoth will inspire.

• Upvote 4

I love reading the stories, guys... Very moving.

I just worked full time, went to school full time and had very little to start with though I've trudged on to building the better life I now enjoy. My wife and new twin babies were a part of that mix.

I wanted a monument to my efforts and the Lord's provision and boy did I get one.

I work as in IT professional at A&M so I can't wait for all the conversation this behemoth will inspire.

My wife's entire family is all aggie grads, I was comparing my ring to my brother in laws ring, ours is bigger.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think I would be able to buy one, at least not for a while after graduation. Then landed a sweet part time gig with Paramount Pictures 6 months after graduation. I cashed my first check and walked over to the Josten's rep who was on campus that day at the Union and paid cash for The largest crown they offered at the time. I love the interlocked "NT" it has on one side which is in an Eagle's grasping Talon, and the Hurley Administration Clock Tower on the other.

Soon after it arrived, my grandmother gave me a diamond from her wedding ring to place in the center of the dome, so it bares many special meanings to me. I only wear it on game days.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5

My ring should be in tomorrow! So excited.

Somebody show me your ring and tell me ring stories. :)

GMG!

I got mine at the ring ceremony the year before I graduated. I started at UNT in 2003 as a transfer and then life got in the way. I always said that I was "honorary" class of 06 (since all my friends graduated around those years) but I finished up in 2011 after being out for about 3 1/2 years. My dad paid for 1/2 so thats how I could get the "deluxe" model.

Anyway, this is my pride and joy. I wear it everyday (It's HUGE as others' are.) Its the XL version of our current ring design. I DO get allot of compliments on it as well from co-workers, friends, and colleagues. Even one of my best friends (An A&M grad) is jealous of the sheer size of our rings. Although I am jealous of their ring traditions in general.

Enjoy getting your ring, and get smashed at the ceremony if you go. Its all free. ;)

Edited by TheRiojas_AD

My ring slid off my numb finger while I was helping get a car unstuck during a snow storm in Denver. I rented a metal detector a day or two later, but was never able to find it. My folks bought me a replacement for Christmas a couple years later, but they were unable to get the special centennial class stamp on the side that my original had. I wear my ring every day, even though I get beat down with people asking me if I went to A&M.

• Upvote 2