I'm Amazed

emmitt01

There are people who are actually complaining about the home slate in 2013. Let's take a look at who we will play at home... Idaho Ball State UTEP UTSA MUTS Rice For comparison, here is who we have played at home the last ten years. 2012 Texas Southern Troy ULL Arkie State S. Alabama 2011 Houston Indiana ULM FAU MUTS WKU MUTS 2010 Rice ULL Ark State FIU Troy K-State 2009 Ohio MUTS FAU WKU ULM Army 2008 Tulsa FIU ULL Troy Ark State 2007 FAU ULM MUTS Navy WKU 2006 SMU MUTS FIU La Tech FAU 2005 Tulsa Troy ULL ULM Ark State 2004 FAU MUTS NM State ULM Idaho 2003 Baylor ULL Utah State Troy Ark State You can't tell me that ANY of the schedules are preferable to what we have coming up this season. First, five games hasn't been the exception around here...it's been the rule. We get six this year. Second, there are THREE teams from Texas on this schedule. No, it's not aTm, Baylor and Tech...but it's sure as hell not ULL, WKU and S. Bama either. That's three teams with fan bases that can travel to Apogee. Three teams who will help to liven up the atmosphere. Three fan bases who we can talk s*&t to Monday through Friday at work. It isn't ideal, there's no arguing that. But it is a far far far far far far cry from the crap we've been dealt for a long long time.
The only game that keeps this year's schedule from being perfect is the MTSU game, I wished we could of had another new conference member like ECU come to town, but this year's schedule is f'n awesome. I'm already working on the wife to go to NOLA for Tulane.

No complaints here. Glad we are not playing a FCS/D-1-AA team this year. Nothing against Texas State but Idaho is a former conference member (Big West?). Just hope I can go to a few games this year.

1. Texas State is a D-1 program (WAC now Sunbelt) so they would have been much better than Idaho.

2. Idaho was in the Sunbelt with us before they went with the WAC. Boise was in the Big West with us. On that one you were at least in the right state.

And as to 1-AA or even lower. If I had my druthers (and we could get away with it), I would schedule SFA or even Abilene Christian before Idaho.

Either of them would bring a LOT more fans to the game. But I also admit that Idaho will be a better sounding opponent (WOW! we're opening with THE University of Idaho!) to the marginal-ignorant fan out there.

BUT! "WOW! we're opening with TEXAS STATE" would sound even more impressive to the aforementioned marginal-ignorant fan.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Texas State is a D-1 program (WAC now Sunbelt) so they would have been much better than Idaho.

2. Idaho was in the Sunbelt with us before they went with the WAC. Boise was in the Big West with us. On that one you were at least in the right state.

And as to 1-AA or even lower. If I had my druthers (and we could get away with it), I would schedule SFA or even Abilene Christian before Idaho.

Either of them would bring a LOT more fans to the game. But I also admit that Idaho will be a better sounding opponent (WOW! we're opening with THE University of Idaho!) to the marginal-ignorant fan out there.

BUT! "WOW! we're opening with TEXAS STATE" would sound even more impressive to the aforementioned marginal-ignorant fan.

Just a point of clarification. Idaho was in the Big West with us from 1996-2000 before they went to the Sun Belt with us. And Idaho is MUCH preferable to Texas State...at this stage of our program's development. A win over Idaho is a D1 win. Considering that getting to six wins may be a challenge, every D1 win is a good one. Though 1AA wins may be counted toward bowl eligibility, six wins with a 1AA sprinkled in doesn't look the same to bowl committees trying to figure out who to leave out.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3

Hellsbells, Bill, had we added merely another 4K-6K more seats when Apogee was built, we could have probably emulated what U of Central Florida (hardly a household name here in the Southwest) did and scheduled the Texas Longhorns as the most historic home opener in University of North Texas history....just 4K to 6K like UH's "HKS blueprinted" stadium will be? :(

I still like our stadium though--put a good football team in it and the sky's the limit with expansion not far behind; after all, we are in a population center that filling it even with curiosity seekers shouldn't be so big the problem we seem to make it be. (One might ask the question...how many of UTSA's "new" fans were actually curiosity seekers)?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen