Meanwhile in San Antonio

Harry

Man, the doom and gloom around here SUCKS! Some people might need to see someone about an attitude change...just sayin...

OK, right now...book it Danno..my first prediction for the 2013 season....UNT takes down UTSA by 17 in 2013!

Seriously...you can take it to the bank right now and spend it...no way you will have to pay it back....UNT takes down UTSA in 2013!

• Upvote 3

UTSA is the true definition of a sleeping giant.It will be a matter of time before they will be trying to run with us, SMU, Houston, Tech, Baylor, Whorn and Aggy.

And you sir are the true definition of a douche. It will be a matter of time before you will be trying to come to grips with it.

Stop trolling here and stop trying to piss people off who don't care about you or your bizarre frequent visits to this forum about our Universities teams.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Man, the doom and gloom around here SUCKS! Some people might need to see someone about an attitude change...just sayin...

OK, right now...book it Danno..my first prediction for the 2013 season....UNT takes down UTSA by 17 in 2013!

Seriously...you can take it to the bank right now and spend it...no way you will have to pay it back....UNT takes down UTSA in 2013!

That is exactly what Texas State said about us. All season long they talked crap as to how bad they were going to beat us. Sad thing is the score does not reflect how we dominated the game from start to finish. What kept them in the game was two turnovers and 145 yards of penalties. By the way WAC refs suck big time.

• Upvote 1

So anybody from another school who posts is a troll?

Not at all. There are plenty of people who post here that have constructive conversations. Trolls are people like you who try and irritate people on the Internet. You must have the memory span of a goldfish if you don't remember the nonsense you have spewed here in the past. This is why you are a troll. Own it because you earned it. Now go play in traffic.

• Upvote 1

That is exactly what Texas State said about us. All season long they talked crap as to how bad they were going to beat us. Sad thing is the score does not reflect how we dominated the game from start to finish. What kept them in the game was two turnovers and 145 yards of penalties. By the way WAC refs suck big time.

I like mine extra crispy.

• Upvote 1

I'll give utsa credit for this:

1. they beat So. Alabama

2. they beat an always competitive McNeese State

3. Good crowds in the AlamoDome

But don't get too carried away- utsa's wins were against teams with a combined record of 20-70, including two DII or NAIA programs(not sure) in NW Oklahoma State and A & M Commerce. They have one more game against Hawaii.

But to their credit, they built their program the right way, and in record speed. Next year should be interesting for them. And sadly, if UNT stays on its present football course we could very easily lose to utsa next season. And that would be a travesty and the loss of many UNT fans and supporters.

I think if UNT loses to UTSA next year, you will have all you need to know to know that Mac is not the guy....he should be given the boot at that time...he will have shown you the progress he has made....he would have NO valid excuse to lose to UTSA and keep his job.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

The UTSA saga parallels very few programs in the country, certainly not ours.

From afar, this is what seems different about UTSA vs my favorite team:

• School, from administration to athletic department to students, appears "all in."
  • Large metropolitan city without a pro football team appears fully committed to supporting its school and the school's efforts to expose its product through athletics.
  • Unlike Dallas (SMU) or Denton (UNT), UTSA is "San Antonio's (football) team." Fort Worth gets close with its support of a WINNING program, but SA fully committed up front. An aside: I suppose support for the basketball team is lacking at least in part because the Spurs are "San Antonio's (basketball) team.
  • UTSA benefits from the "Waco effect." If NT were 50 or more miles further from Dallas, its past, present and future, from academics to athletics, would be totally different. When a city sees the school as one of its key reasons for being, and then fully commits resources to the goose that lays the golden eggs, all win. Examples: Waco, Lubbock.

Simplistic...perhaps.

We are what we are in Denton...under-supported, under-funded, under-achieving.

Until North Texas and Denton decide to be something else, it is a misnomer to term this team, this university the "sleeping giant."

All that said, I chose to attend North Texas (after a misguided detour through Austin). I graduated from North Texas. I love my school and my team.

GMG

This is probably the best summation of the Denton/UNT situation.

Are we even sure UNT plays UTSA next year?

If so, I would circle this game on the calendar if I'm RV and McCarney. Should be a lot riding on this game.

Yep. UNT is taking SMU's spot and UTSA is taking Houston's in the rotation so UNT is playing at the Alamodome.

source

• Upvote 1

I like how this UNT/UTSA thing is beginning to shape up. Finally UNT will have someone close to home and in Texas to have some fun with on an annual basis in both FB and BB. How great will that be...FINALLY? It is A-OK with me if the UTSA folks wants to brag...they deserve some credit for what they have accomplished to date, but UNT will be "all in" for these games...the tailgate atmosphere and the stands should be full and lively at both places. This is going to be fun and it is what helps make college football and basketball so much better than the pro game.

So, bring it on UTSA folks....let's build a friendly rival game and make this a MUST ATTEND affair home and away.

Hope to see you in 2013, and as my earlier post stated, UNT takes down UTSA in 2013! Book it, Danno!

• Upvote 4

The UTSA saga parallels very few programs in the country, certainly not ours.

From afar, this is what seems different about UTSA vs my favorite team:

• School, from administration to athletic department to students, appears "all in."
  • Large metropolitan city without a pro football team appears fully committed to supporting its school and the school's efforts to expose its product through athletics.
  • Unlike Dallas (SMU) or Denton (UNT), UTSA is "San Antonio's (football) team." Fort Worth gets close with its support of a WINNING program, but SA fully committed up front. An aside: I suppose support for the basketball team is lacking at least in part because the Spurs are "San Antonio's (basketball) team.
  • UTSA benefits from the "Waco effect." If NT were 50 or more miles further from Dallas, its past, present and future, from academics to athletics, would be totally different. When a city sees the school as one of its key reasons for being, and then fully commits resources to the goose that lays the golden eggs, all win. Examples: Waco, Lubbock.

Simplistic...perhaps.

We are what we are in Denton...under-supported, under-funded, under-achieving.

Until North Texas and Denton decide to be something else, it is a misnomer to term this team, this university the "sleeping giant."

All that said, I chose to attend North Texas (after a misguided detour through Austin). I graduated from North Texas. I love my school and my team.

GMG

Great post untcampbell!!

I have posted on this subject over the last few years, as well. UTSA has the opportunity to be the next South Florida. They are a large public school in a large city with no other FBS team to compete with. They seem to have city, university, and citizen support on a much larger level than we will ever get. They have the media to cover them and give them extra credibility. They have a coach with great name recognition and a national championship on his resume. The only question is if UTSA will take advantage of all of this. Its there for the taking, much like UTEP has the same advantages. It wouldn't surprise me to see them get bumped up the conference ladder very fast if they find success, just like South Florida did.

Or they could just suck and be Texas' version of UAB, a public school in a big town that is just ignored because of performance and the T-shirt fandom of the AQs in the state won't lower themselves to support a non-traditional power. You know, kind of like us, without the big city presence...

• Upvote 1

The MWC board folks that someone linked to (since we are quoting message boards) all listed UTSA as someone they would want.

ZERO listed UNT. Tells you all you need to know about how we are perceived.

Well thank goodness message board participants make these decisions. I remember all of the Big East posters clamoring for Tulane.

The MWC board folks that someone linked to (since we are quoting message boards) all listed UTSA as someone they would want.

ZERO listed UNT. Tells you all you need to know about how we are perceived.

Our football team sucks. That is how we are perceived and its well earned after always getting the crap beat out of us.

• Downvote 1

UTSA...regarding the crowds..San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US. San Ant wanted a football team as much as a I want a beer right now. They have basketball and thats it.

UTSA...UNT has the upper hand on recruiting just for the simple reason that UNT has a football facility... UTSA has no practice facility except what is on a drawing and has been on a drawing for 3 years; they practice on a high school football field.

And I'm sorry, I go back to their schedule and the d2 schools and d1aa schools that they beat. OK...they beat USA and Tx State. Wow, that would impress me if I were a recruit....

GMG

• Upvote 4

Im quite looking foreward to the road trip to SA....Id predict a win.....and when San Antonio gets their NFL franchise in the future...watch the UTSA attendance fall....my .02,like free advice,worth what ya give for it.

San Antonio will never get an NFL team. Jerry Jones will see to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1