Pretty Interesting

emmitt01

Interesting he says SEC is better than big 12 bc there is no weak link. I guess he forgot about kentucky, vanderbelt, ole miss, auburn, and Arkansas this season. Colorado and Nebraska had already left before the longhorn network was launched too. SEC is overrated, especially this season. After over a decade of mediocrity in the big 12, A&M looks like world beaters.

• Upvote 2

Interesting he says SEC is better than big 12 bc there is no weak link. I guess he forgot about kentucky, vanderbelt, ole miss, auburn, and Arkansas this season. Colorado and Nebraska had already left before the longhorn network was launched too. SEC is overrated, especially this season. After over a decade of mediocrity in the big 12, A&M looks like world beaters.

The SEC and Big 12 are pretty even top to bottom, although the SEC is a little better at the top. Kentucky is worse than any Big 12 team, Kansas included.

• Upvote 2

I agree. Six straight national championships is clearly all smoke and mirrors.

And I'm salivating at the prospect of aTm and UT meeting in the Cotton Bowl.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 of the top 9 teams in the country are in the SEC. And not a single one of them has lost to a non-SEC team. But yeah, keep telling yourself they're overrated.

Yeah but the top teams don't play each other. The big 12 looked the same with two divisions. All I'm saying is an A&M team that got beat up on repeatedly for over a decade looks like world beaters. Sure Alabama and LSU have been good, but the whole conference isnt what its made out to be.

• Upvote 2

Yeah but the top teams don't play each other. The big 12 looked the same with two divisions. All I'm saying is an A&M team that got beat up on repeatedly for over a decade looks like world beaters. Sure Alabama and LSU have been good, but the whole conference isnt what its made out to be.

Ummm, the top teams do nothing BUT play eachother. Did you miss the games betwwen Bama and LSU, Florida and Georgia, aTm and Bama? And they arent just better than the Big XII at the top. The Big XII has, arguably, three elite teams this year in K-State, OU and Texas if you want to stretch. The SEC has Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina and yes aTm too. And aTm "looks like world beaters" because they knocked off the defending national champs in THEIR house. Wanna compare their two losses (LSU and Florida) to the two losses UT suffered (W. Virginia in Austin and a merciless beating by OU)?

No comparison.

i don't think that's his point in the article, the whole thing is about how A&M is getting more attention right now than UT is... so as an example he starts talking about viewership of games... so if you think the same amount of KU and ISU fans watch games as Kentucky or Vandy, you are probably pretty far off... because those schools still have a much better die-hard fanbase than the Cyclones or Jayhawks (at least in football)

Personally, I don't think atm could have dreamed up a better outcome from the move so far. They are competing well against the big boys from SEC, their recruiting is absolutely skyrocketing, ut is having down season, all the attention on atm and they know this is burning horn ass. They have to be giddy with excitement.

Would be a bad season the DeLoss Dodds' dog.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The SEC has for the past several years played very few BCS non-conference games. It may not seem like a big deal, but it gives any team a great chance to learn to jell and progress as a unit. No early losses mean everyone looks great when they get to conference sched.

Does anyone this Miss St was the 11th best team in the nation when they lost to Bama? They stand a great chance of losing out, but at the time being that were inflated in the polls due to polls and lack of losses. Then combine that with the argument that the conference is so good that they all beat up on each other instead of the fact that many of those loses should be considered bad losses that should drop a teams ranking and you have an built in bias that skews both the human rankings and to a smaller extent the computer rankings.

Its all math. I can't blame the SEC for how they do business, but they have gamed the system to an extent and have been living off the perception of strength across the board rather that true strength the last 2 seasons. They have had several very good teams, but the middle and bottom of the conference has been much poorer than the perception dictates.

More power to the SEC, but if you started ranking teams in all polls after 6 games instead of having a preseason ranking, things would be drastically different. It is much harder to fall out of the top 25 if you are ranked high to begin with and their is a much greater chance of regaining your ranking in the top 25 if you are ranked preseason. That is just human nature. People don't want to admit they made a mistake to begin with. Combine that with then ranking a much greater set of teams from the conference and you have a self-fulfilling prophecy of the SEC schools will rise to the top.

I think A&M/Bama game more than anything shows how much trouble Bama could have had with OSU last year. The spread, when you have a legit running threat, can really cause the SEC style defense fits because those big athletic guys wear out during a track meet. It is why Oregon will eventually win a title. The more plays you run on O, the less likely that the unforeseen or luck portion will balance out. Then it is "My O is better than your D and my conditioning is better than yours". Having LSU/Bama play again in the title game was a travesty.

If you go back and look, the fortuitous run of the SEC probably started in 2009 when the UT QB went out. If they lose that game there is no 6 peat string and we do continue perpetuating this inherent SEC bias. Then comes along Auburn and the best player money can buy (against an Oregon team that was probably a little overrated because they really didn't have a D yet) and then the all SEC BCS championship.

What ever. At this point, it is unlikely the SEC makes it to the title game unless 2 of KSU, ND, and Oregon fall. If ND or Oregon fall it strengthens the other due to common opponents.

This whole argement is moot because EVERY "Big Six" conference does this exact same thing. Who does UT play in their OOC? OU, who do they play outside the Big XII? Each and every year they throw OU and UT in the preseason top 25 regardless of the previous season and they usually underperform. It's actually close to impossible to get UT out of the top 25...even after they lost two straight. Look, I'm not saying you're wrong about the SEC feasting early on little programs...but it all comes out in the wash when everyone is doing it.

And, yes, UT would accept a Cotton Bowl bid. They're still clinging...by their fingernails...to the myth of their dominance over aTm. They have already been shown be wrong about the Aggies drowning in the SEC. If they ducked them in a bowl game the final nail in the coffin of their mystique would be hammered in. Their DREAM scenario would be to find a way to beat aTm at the end of the Aggies' "coming out party".

I know the Longhorns don't look great this year, and I know that several on this board have a hard-on for hating on UT, but I don't see this happening. I'd take the Aggies to win, but probably around 10-14 pts.

A&M has made some of the best defenses in the country look silly this year. They'd have 21 on the board before the UT defense had time to come out of their stance.

Edited by UNTcrazy727

This whole argement is moot because EVERY "Big Six" conference does this exact same thing. Who does UT play in their OOC? OU, who do they play outside the Big XII? Each and every year they throw OU and UT in the preseason top 25 regardless of the previous season and they usually underperform. It's actually close to impossible to get UT out of the top 25...even after they lost two straight. Look, I'm not saying you're wrong about the SEC feasting early on little programs...but it all comes out in the wash when everyone is doing it.

And, yes, UT would accept a Cotton Bowl bid. They're still clinging...by their fingernails...to the myth of their dominance over aTm. They have already been shown be wrong about the Aggies drowning in the SEC. If they ducked them in a bowl game the final nail in the coffin of their mystique would be hammered in. Their DREAM scenario would be to find a way to beat aTm at the end of the Aggies' "coming out party".

if you are so obsessed with UT you should have tried harder to get accepted there

and the idea that a single season somehow erases all that UT has accomplished over the last decade+ VS A&M is just a complete joke made by a fool

let me know when A&M has a national championship and plays for another one.....let me know when A&M plays in or wins a BCS game much less several

the last time A&M won more than 9 games in a season was 1998

UT has done it 9 times since then and could do it again this year with a win over TCU and a bowl win

A&M is 0-1 in BCS games from back in 1999....UT is 3-1 with two of them being for the national championship

if you think this single season will erase all of that you are just a fool

and the worst part of your post is that you pretend as though somehow A&M gives a crap about north Texas or does not try and "keep north Texas down" more than "UT does" and you pretend as though A&M would not trade places with UT in terms of athletics budget and revenues or that A&M was somehow looking out for the little guy when they went to the SEC

hell A&M cares so much about lil' ole' north Texas so much they are 7-0 against you, the only time they played you out of College station was in Irving 1 time and they have not bothered to play you since 1998 while UT is 9-0 against north Texas and has played them 3 times since 1998

*anyone see a pattern here quick Kevin get Rick on the scheduling hotline :thumbsu:

here is a huge clue SMU could fall off the face of the earth, UT could go win less and A&M could fall off the planet or win a MNC and it will have next to no effect on north Texas if any other than the fans will have a few less boogie men to try and slay while ignoring the realities of their own program

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

if you are so obsessed with UT you should have tried harder to get accepted there

and the idea that a single season somehow erases all that UT has accomplished over the last decade+ VS A&M is just a complete joke made by a fool

let me know when A&M has a national championship and plays for another one.....let me know when A&M plays in or wins a BCS game much less several

the last time A&M won more than 9 games in a season was 1998

UT has done it 9 times since then and could do it again this year with a win over TCU and a bowl win

A&M is 0-1 in BCS games from back in 1999....UT is 3-1 with two of them being for the national championship

if you think this single season will erase all of that you are just a fool

and the worst part of your post is that you pretend as though somehow A&M gives a crap about north Texas or does not try and "keep north Texas down" more than "UT does" and you pretend as though A&M would not trade places with UT in terms of athletics budget and revenues or that A&M was somehow looking out for the little guy when they went to the SEC

hell A&M cares so much about lil' ole' north Texas so much they are 7-0 against you, the only time they played you out of College station was in Irving 1 time and they have not bothered to play you since 1998 while UT is 9-0 against north Texas and has played them 3 times since 1998

*anyone see a pattern here quick Kevin get Rick on the scheduling hotline :thumbsu:

here is a huge clue SMU could fall off the face of the earth, UT could go win less and A&M could fall off the planet or win a MNC and it will have next to no effect on north Texas if any other than the fans will have a few less boogie men to try and slay while ignoring the realities of their own program

His post had nothing to do with UNT. Your obsession with forcing a negative shot at UNT in your posts no matter the topic is beyond pathetic.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ummm, the top teams do nothing BUT play eachother. Did you miss the games betwwen Bama and LSU, Florida and Georgia, aTm and Bama? And they arent just better than the Big XII at the top. The Big XII has, arguably, three elite teams this year in K-State, OU and Texas if you want to stretch. The SEC has Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina and yes aTm too. And aTm "looks like world beaters" because they knocked off the defending national champs in THEIR house. Wanna compare their two losses (LSU and Florida) to the two losses UT suffered (W. Virginia in Austin and a merciless beating by OU)?

No comparison.

They dont play everyone in the conference is all im saying. Florida and Georgia dont always play Bama and LSU. I give credit where credit is due, but the SEC has a had run of good luck by getting 1 loss teams in the title game. USC has been down because of sanctions and the big 10 was awful for awhile. There is more balance in college football now. I expect the SECs "dominance" is over. Florida, Bama, and LSU had some great teams along the way though.

• Downvote 1

What just happened?

Let me be clear, UT and ATM can go play in the Canadian Football League and far as I care and take the rest of the Big 12 and SEC with them. I don't have a dog in that hunt. However, from a non fan of either school (If I had to choose, I probably lean a little more pro UT), my perception is that a lot of UT wanted to see the ags go 0-forever in the SEC, but they seem to be holding up ok. Also, my uneducated perception was that ATM seemed to be doing pretty well on the recruiting trail ever since the announced the move to the SEC. However, I seemed to be able to summon a UT troll that felt he needed to set me straight, which had the unfortunate consequence of bringing out the anti UNT troll to troll on behalf of ATM. Apologies to the rest of the board.

Since my uneducated perception was pointed out to be completely off base, I decided to educate myself a little more and here is what I found:

According to Rivals, UT has had a higher ranked recruiting class than ATM going back to 2002 (as far as they go back) in all but 2 years. This year is the first in a long time that ATM is on track to have a better ranked class. Last year's class (2012) was the first class that included the knowledge that ATM would be in the SEC. It certainly has the appearance that ATM's recruiting has improved and UT's has declined. I wonder if the two are somehow related?

Year--UT--ATM

2013--11--09

2012--02--15

2011--03--27

2010--03--17

2009--05--22

2008--14--16

2007--05--43

2006--05--26

2005--20--08

2004--18--20

2003--15--10

2002--01--23

Lastly, my apologies for suggesting UT was having a down year. I don't know what I was thinking. Yes, if they win out, which includes beating the #1 or #2 team in the country, I am sure they will go to a BCS bowl. However, when they get pasted by OU, beaten by WVU, and require a last second score to beat KU, my guess is that they are having a down year.

Is there a way you can both go 0-12? Better?

Troll on...

• Upvote 1

What just happened?

Let me be clear, UT and ATM can go play in the Canadian Football League and far as I care and take the rest of the Big 12 and SEC with them. I don't have a dog in that hunt. However, from a non fan of either school (If I had to choose, I probably lean a little more pro UT), my perception is that a lot of UT wanted to see the ags go 0-forever in the SEC, but they seem to be holding up ok. Also, my uneducated perception was that ATM seemed to be doing pretty well on the recruiting trail ever since the announced the move to the SEC. However, I seemed to be able to summon a UT troll that felt he needed to set me straight, which had the unfortunate consequence of bringing out the anti UNT troll to troll on behalf of ATM. Apologies to the rest of the board.

Since my uneducated perception was pointed out to be completely off base, I decided to educate myself a little more and here is what I found:

According to Rivals, UT has had a higher ranked recruiting class than ATM going back to 2002 (as far as they go back) in all but 2 years. This year is the first in a long time that ATM is on track to have a better ranked class. Last year's class (2012) was the first class that included the knowledge that ATM would be in the SEC. It certainly has the appearance that ATM's recruiting has improved and UT's has declined. I wonder if the two are somehow related?

Year--UT--ATM

2013--11--09

2012--02--15

2011--03--27

2010--03--17

2009--05--22

2008--14--16

2007--05--43

2006--05--26

2005--20--08

2004--18--20

2003--15--10

2002--01--23

Lastly, my apologies for suggesting UT was having a down year. I don't know what I was thinking. Yes, if they win out, which includes beating the #1 or #2 team in the country, I am sure they will go to a BCS bowl. However, when they get pasted by OU, beaten by WVU, and require a last second score to beat KU, my guess is that they are having a down year.

Is there a way you can both go 0-12? Better?

Troll on...

Who are you refering too? Dont think any has said UT hasnt been down the past couple of years. The thing that surprises me is the success A&M is having after being a career .500 team in the big 12. Does that say more about the SEC or A&M? Thats up for debate.

Who are you refering too? Dont think any has said UT hasnt been down the past couple of years. The thing that surprises me is the success A&M is having after being a career .500 team in the big 12. Does that say more about the SEC or A&M? Thats up for debate.

They played a very close one against UT last year. They found a QB (who UT didnt't want) who has energized their offense, and they brought in a coach who is putting more than the vanilla "pound the rock" SEC philosophy out there. It's far more about what aTm is doing than the SEC being down. The SEC is still the nation's best conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1