The Morning After

H-towngreen

some short simple thoughts on the game:

1) it still hurts this morning. They should make a pill for things like this, call it the "morning after pill"

II) Thank God this game wasn't on TV. Listening to it was bad enough

3) We get outrebounded by a D-II school and yet Coleman gets what? 5 min of pt? just looked it up 8 min 3 boards and 2 pts. WE LOST THE BOARDS 45-40!!!!!!

D) At least JW showed up to play, hopefully his ankle isnt too bad

5) Why are shifting lines like we're a hockey team? I know this team is deep and you want to get everyone some run but it's best to do that once you've opened up a lead. Leave the guys in for longer then 20 sec to get some rhythm!!!

6) Is this the worst loss in NT basketball history? serious question. WIth the talent and expectations I would think so

7) I was so excited about this team. I EVEN TOLD ALL MY FRIENDS TO WATCH OUT FOR US THIS SEASON!!!!!!! Man do I look like a fool

163) Really....did this really happen.

Z) Where is Benford on this? Haven't heard a peep. "Oh we're going Tourny media rules so he's not available"

AA) Tony and CJ, not sure if you know this but you do more good when you're on the floor and not on the bench in fould trouble

10) CJ and Alzee a combined 4-21. I think this was actually an improvement over the first game

Edited by H-towngreen

This is the second most upset I have ever been about a basketball team. When the Mavs lost the Finals in 2006 to the Heat + refs, I was furious, mainly because the Mavs were completely screwed by the refs. There are no excuses for this debacle. If this is what I think it is, RV needs to be fired, along with Benford.

• Upvote 3

I'd really love to hear from Benford on this. And also find out why the F he feels he needs to rotate players at every whistle.

From what I've seen and heard in 3 games, my guess is that he realized about an hour into the first practice that he has no idea how to install and implement an offensive system, so he's trying to trick up the game with this gimmicky line-changes to give off the appearance that he's coaching.

There is a reason no one else in the country does this.

According to dahbeed, who has been one of my suicide hotline counselors... Ken McDonald did the same thing.

I remember a bit of this with McDonald, but not to the extent that we've seen through 3 games.

It made sense to me in the exhibition. It even made sense to me at the start of the Creighton game...the Jays had little film on us and I felt our depth for stretches could match theirs. When it stopped making sense was when I started seeing players hit shots (rare, I know) and immediately being subbed out. It happened to Holman and Franklin against Creighton and it happened to Franklin (who may well have been last night's MVP) at least twice against UAH.

At this point, this line-up should be CJ, Alzee, Franklin Mitchell and Coleman. CJ on a short leash, but he did seem to wake up late last night...Mitchell could roam in the offense and possibly keep him out of cheap fouls on the defensive end with an actual 5 on the floor.

If ever UNT has had a "6th man" thy name is Jordan Williams. Bring him off the bench, let him gun against 2nd teamers...if he's on he stays on the floor, if not he sits.

If shooting percentage was based not on made shots but only hitting the rim, Clarke Overlander would only be shooting 67%. I'm in the camp that believes he'll turn into a fine player, but he is not ready to go from a 3A high school power forward to a division 1 shooting guard...not against Creighton or in the final moments of close game like he was last night.

• Upvote 3

At this point, this line-up should be CJ, Alzee, Franklin Mitchell and Coleman. CJ on a short leash, but he did seem to wake up late last night...Mitchell could roam in the offense and possibly keep him out of cheap fouls on the defensive end with an actual 5 on the floor.

If ever UNT has had a "6th man" thy name is Jordan Williams. Bring him off the bench, let him gun against 2nd teamers...if he's on he stays on the floor, if not he sits.

If shooting percentage was based not on made shots but only hitting the rim, Clarke Overlander would only be shooting 67%. I'm in the camp that believes he'll turn into a fine player, but he is not ready to go from a 3A high school power forward to a division 1 shooting guard...not against Creighton or in the final moments of close game like he was last night.

All of this.

I remember a bit of this with McDonald, but not to the extent that we've seen through 3 games.

It made sense to me in the exhibition. It even made sense to me at the start of the Creighton game...the Jays had little film on us and I felt our depth for stretches could match theirs. When it stopped making sense was when I started seeing players hit shots (rare, I know) and immediately being subbed out. It happened to Holman and Franklin against Creighton and it happened to Franklin (who may well have been last night's MVP) at least twice against UAH.

Jordan Williams was our best player last night 8-16, 3-8 on 3's, 7-7 FT's for 26 points. Alzee is 4-20 so far this season. Chris Jones is 3-19 so far.

Jordan Williams was our best player last night 8-16, 3-8 on 3's, 7-7 FT's for 26 points. Alzee is 4-20 so far this season. Chris Jones is 3-19 so far.

Jordan is a gunner, though, and you only use one basketball at a time...he's either gonna catch and shoot, score in transition or he's gonna try and create (or force) his own look. Next to none of his points seem to come as the result of good work within an offense...assuming of course that Benford actually has one.

If not, I say let's just go with CJ, Overlander, Jordan, Mitchell and Holman and run Grinnell and try and get up 100 shots a night. Hell, we've already got the line changes down.