Trying to Find the Silver Lining

cl_1_2008

so he is missing a starter (Patton), he has a guard who has 2 played 2 games since last January, outside of Rec Center Street Ball, one of his best shooters (Walton) is out, your star player is apathetic and does not takeover as a leader like he should. Yeah Fuck it, just fire Benford now, we can not wait 5 years for him to get his own players like other programs at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

so he is missing a starter (Patton), he has a guard who has 2 played 2 games since last January, outside of Rec Center Street Ball, one of his best shooters (Walton) is out, your star player is apathetic and does not takeover as a leader like he should. Yeah Fuck it, just fire Benford now, we can not wait 5 years for him to get his own players like other programs at UNT.

So stupid.

Maybe we should make a special "I love JJ/I hate JJ" forum and you and P1, CMJ, and the others can go in that forum and try to hash out past history.

That way the rest of us don't have to see it interlaced in every thread.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Admittedly, and gladly, I did not view, nor listen to this game.

1. because I expected it to be a blowout UNT win,

2. work... ugh (1st half).

3. when your 3-week old gives you sleep, you take it (2nd half).

But looking at the stat lines...

This is a problem:

Name Min FG

C. Jones 26 3-15

T. Mitchell 31 2-4

Why is our PG taking 15 shots and our NBA Lottery pick only taking 4?

Nice game by Jordan and Roger.

Where the HECK is Coleman?!?! If he's in some kind of 'doghouse' with Benford, it's time to bury that bone. Enough is enough.

I'm thinking some of you who are saying that the team is buying into the hype too much are probably right.

UNT ballers: You ain't playing in the rec anymore. Time to get to work.

Benford: You're in the hot seat already. Time to get to work.

Silver-lining: They get to redeem themselves tonight against Lamar. I fully expect them to go at Lamar like a punching bag. This score should reflect frustration from last night. UNT = 80+ pts. Lamar = 50-60pts.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking some of you who are saying that the team is buying into the hype too much are probably right.

Hype doesn't make you lose to a D2 team.

Mitchell, Alzee, Holmen, Franklin... Somehow, that core four was enough through the end of last season to get us one minute away from the NCAAs. And now we're losing to a D2 team? For the first time in almost 3 decades?

Give us back Jones and Jordan? Throw in Hardwick and Coleman? And we're so much WORSE, we lose to a D2 team?

The last time this happened to our program was FOUR DAYS after President Reagan met Gorbachev for the first time. Calvin and Hobbes had just finished it's FIRST WEEK IN NEWSPAPERS. Tetris and forensic DNA testing didn't exist yet. The original Nintendo was a month old.

Hype doesn't make you lose to a D2 team.

Mitchell, Alzee, Holmen, Franklin... Somehow, that core four was enough through the end of last season to get us one minute away from the NCAAs. And now we're losing to a D2 team? For the first time in almost 3 decades?

Give us back Jones and Jordan? Throw in Hardwick and Coleman? And we're so much WORSE, we lose to a D2 team?

The last time this happened to our program was FOUR DAYS after President Reagan met Gorbachev for the first time. Calvin and Hobbes had just finished it's FIRST WEEK IN NEWSPAPERS. Tetris and forensic DNA testing didn't exist yet. The original Nintendo was a month old.

It's very early in the season, so there is still hope for a turnaround, but with the panic button pressed by the fan base, I wonder if the players will buy into Benford's system? Or, will this be a <10 win season with lots of quit?

• Upvote 1

This was about a team thinking that wins would just be handed to them because they are god's gift to basketball. Well, now I think they're quite aware that is not the case. You gotta go out there and play your ass off whether you're playing against Duke, Kentucky, or yes, even Alabama-Huntsville. I'm not making excuses. You should NEVER lose to a Division 2 school. But, in the end, maybe it's a good thing that we did, because hopefully it will wake them up.

This always puts me in mind of one of my favorite scenes from the original Rocky. From Apollo creeds handler......"He doesn't know it's a damn show. He thinks it's a damn fight. Now finish this bum and let's go home."

There have been soooooo many times that I have wanted to yell this at the football team when we are underachieving against an opponent that we should be "handling" and are not.....like South Alabama.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

The team isn't ready. We have enough athletes to play defense and hustle. From what I saw of JJ's teams, we always did these things. We sometimes got lost on defense (Kedrick), or had middling offense, but those guys always hustled or were benched for it (Tristan).

All that said, there are a number of plausible reasons for this terribleness. I don't want to hop off this train and break the bank for Fran Fraschilla just yet, though. If MTSU can drop a game against McNeese St and come back to challenge for the conference title I think we can get our shizzle together and win this conference especially with this talent, however underwhelming it has been through two games.

I wrote about 1000 words more on MGN if you care to read it.

• Upvote 1

So stupid.

Maybe we should make a special "I love JJ/I hate JJ" forum and you and P1, CMJ, and the others can go in that forum and try to hash out past history.

That way the rest of us don't have to see it interlaced in every thread.

Quit lumping me in. I just hate Benford.

CJ needs to know his role and start playing like a point guard, or step aside and let PJ show him how it's done. TM and JW should be featured, but not sure CJ is a willing facilitator.

I guess when you're spending your time thinking of your NBA millions, it's kind of hard to concentrate on the matters at hand. :rolleyes: What ever happened to the Texas Tech CJ?

• Upvote 1

Fudge analogies, too.

We lost to a Division 2 team. That's a fact. No analogy necessary.

Not even Trilli. Not even Trilli sank this low.

And we're 2 games into it.

Enough with the Trilli, he may not have lost to Div 2 but he did have to rally a couple of times to beat non-scholarship schools at Denton and NT has recently lose to worst teams than AL Huntville.

Not that makes the lost any easier to handle, NT lost to a D2 with a team that was touted with a chance to be top 25. Horrible way for team and new HC to start out.

• Upvote 1

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure I've ever been more disappointed by a loss, and we have had more tough losses on the gridiron than I care to count.

Okay, hear me out. I think by now it's pretty clear that this team bought into their own hype. That is the worst thing you can possibly do as a basketball team. With that being the case, if a loss to a freaking Division 2 school doesn't wake them up, then nothing will. This team better start playing with a hell of a lot more urgency, or things aren't going to get much better. This loss is flat out embarrassing, but I'm not giving up on a basketball team in November. That's foolish. There's way too much basketball left to be played.

Keep calm, and Go Mean Green.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there's no silver lining in losing to a DII team, talk about a silver lining in a loss to Creighton maybe, but not a DII team. Right now, based on their first two games, if somebody told me UNT would go winless in Sun Belt play, I wouldn't bet on it, but I also wouldn't rule it out either.

• Upvote 1