meangreener

"No playmakers,"

"Not enough scholarships,"

"Austin hates UNT"

"Mac has only had a year and a half"

"Thompson has no WRs"

"Can't play defense if your offense is helpless"

...And all the other excuses.

Seriously, this is like the Cowboys-syndrome. Everyone looks everywhere except Tony Romo and the coach.

Our defense knows how to play ball.

But TWICE, they've been caught with their pants down. That's coaching.

TWICE this year they've fallen behind and resorted to childish personal fouls.

This team is undisciplined. I'm extremely disappointed because this is ALL coaching. I've only seen Mac make second half adjustments ONCE in two years.

If your defense is good enough, they will keep your offense in the game and not kill moments with bad penalties, blown coverages, easy turnovers go, etc.

And Thompson is just NOT a "playmaker" no matter what you want to say.

Thompson had the best WR in the Sun Belt and he never got him the ball. EVER. Just toss the ball in Brelan's direction and he'll make a play. Thompson can't even do that. He's too busy launching balls into the wing zone.

This team is so inconsistent. They're young, undisciplined and, to be frank, pretty bad. Had we not played a FCS school, we'd probably only have two wins.

The flashes of good are nice, but McCarney's inability to prepare the team to play on the road is completely inexcusable and needs to be fixed. Now. Because it will cost him his job. This team cannot afford two more years of losing football. Apogee will struggle to pull 10K. With student spirit at an all-time high, a disasterous end to the season may hurt what's been built so far.

But for the love of God, enough with the excuses. McCarney has been AWFUL on the road this year and Thompson is just an awful QB.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 10

Thompson had the best WR in the Sun Belt and he never got him the ball. EVER. Just toss the ball in Brelan's direction and he'll make a play. Thompson can't even do that. He's too busy launching balls into the wing zone.

Best complaint thread ever?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

WHEN WILL THIS TEAM FIND ITS WADE PHILLIPS?

WHEN WILL RV THE OWNER FIRE RV THE COACH?

CAN DAN TRADE FOR PITCHIN'?

WILL SNAPE EVER FIND REDEMPTION FOR HIS HORRIBLE BETRAYAL OF DUMBLEDORE?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Thompson never looked Quinn or Fitzgerald's way either. They played one play less than Chancellor, but DT STILL refused to look their way!!!1!! BENCH HIM!! NO EXCUSES!!!!! GEORGE MARSHALL WAS OPEN!!!!!

... and who doesn't let Broderick McGrew return kicks in such a big game?!?!? EXCUSES!

• Upvote 7

UNACCEPTABLE.

EXPECT MORE.

NOT PUT IN POSITION TO SUCCEED.

OUT-COACHED.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

UNACCEPTABLE............................

• Upvote 4

I'm going to attempt to explain what I think the frustration from the "excuses" stems from.

Following Darrell Dickey's dismissal, UNT made a hire in Todd Dodge that was not just the worst hire in school history, but perhaps one of the worst hires in college football history. UNT gave Dodge 4 years (a year too long IMO but that's been discussed) and finally fired him and brought in Dan McCarney. McCarney has said and done lot of the right things especially with regards to changing the culture of UNT football. UNT opened a brand new stadium. However, despite the optimism surrounding McCarney and the talk that UNT made the right choice, the bottom line is the message sent by UNT following the Todd Dodge debacle was "Yes we're still rebuilding, but this time we're going to do it the right way." Fine, problem is, after the last year's of the Dickey era and the Dodge era, there's still a lot of skepticism regarding whether or not UNT has got it right this time. Whether or not McCarney is the answer to UNT's woes remains to be seen. SO I can understand fans that are tired of the excuses, because many of the same excuses being used now, were the same as early on when Todd Dodge was here (youth, injures, changing the culture). The only thing that's going to fix all of this is winning football games.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to attempt to explain what I think the frustration from the "excuses" stems from.

Following Darrell Dickey's dismissal, UNT made a hire in Todd Dodge that was not just the worst hire in school history, but perhaps one of the worst hires in college football history. UNT gave Dodge 4 years (a year too long IMO but that's been discussed) and finally fired him and brought in Dan McCarney. McCarney has said and done lot of the right things especially with regards to changing the culture of UNT football. UNT opened a brand new stadium. However, despite the optimism surrounding McCarney and the talk that UNT made the right choice, the bottom line is the message sent by UNT following the Todd Dodge debacle was "Yes we're still rebuilding, but this time we're going to do it the right way." Fine, problem is, after the last year's of the Dickey era and the Dodge era, there's still a lot of skepticism regarding whether or not UNT has got it right this time. Whether or not McCarney is the answer to UNT's woes remains to be seen. SO I can understand fans that are tired of the excuses, because many of the same excuses being used now, were the same as early on when Todd Dodge was here (youth, injures, changing the culture). The only thing that's going to fix all of this is winning football games.

Exactly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When we see the big turnaround next year, (yes, I think we will because of the influx of talent) what will everyone complain about then.

1. We only won by 7 points when we should have won by at least 3 touchdowns.

2. We won but there were too many rushing plays called.

3. If they would start the other running back, we could have had well over 300 yards rushing instead of just 250.

4. On our 3rd TD drive why did the qb throw short for a first down when there was clearly a man wide open down field.

5. We won, but how on earth did we let them get back in game.

6. We need to make some changes because we didn't deserve to win that game.

7. We made too many mistakes and it will eventually cost us a game.

8. We just got lucky. Our play calling sucked.

9. We won, but we wouldn't have had to make that 4th quarter comeback if we had be ready to play from the start.

10. Why aren't we in a better bowl?

I can make one prediction with absolute certainty. We will always find something to complain about.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

When we see the big turnaround next year, (yes, I think we will because of the influx of talent) what will everyone complain about then.

1. We only won by 7 points when we should have won by at least 3 touchdowns.

2. We won but there were too many rushing plays called.

3. If they would start the other running back, we could have had well over 300 yards rushing instead of just 250.

4. On our 3rd TD drive why did the qb throw short for a first down when there was clearly a man wide open down field.

5. We won, but how on earth did we let them get back in game.

6. We need to make some changes because we didn't deserve to win that game.

7. We made too many mistakes and it will eventually cost us a game.

8. We just got lucky. Our play calling sucked.

9. We won, but we wouldn't have had to make that 4th quarter comeback if we had be ready to play from the start.

10. Why aren't we in a better bowl?

I can make one prediction with absolute certainty. We will always find something to complain about.

I certainly agree there will be plenty to complain about, but I wonder where you see the big influx of talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I too wonder how people can bring themselves to complain simply because UNT remains a below average team in the worst FBS conference and got curbstomped by a team that was beaten handily by McNeese at home.

Is this product not good enough for y'all?

I certainly agree there will be plenty to complain about, but I wonder where you see the big influx of talent.

McCarney is bring in several transfers next year. Berglund at qb, Pegram (Purdue) at rb, Terrell (Texas) at wr and some others.

Plus he is redshirting a bunch of players this year. He will also get back some players from injuries and problems like Stojkovic at LB.

Next year we won't be such a young team as we have very few seniors on scholarships that graduate this year. McCarney will have worked through most of the scholarship mess he inherited. He won't be under as much pressure to redshirt as many incoming freshmen since we will finally have most of our scholarships back. All that should also give us some depth.

We will be more talented.

• Upvote 2

I see a lot of talent for next year, but this year is unacceptable, don't care how you slice it. And no, if we're good, you won't see me complaining about things...(as a Texans fan, I know).

Lot of incoming talent, going to be a completely new offense pretty much next year.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wow, I got negged for calling this season unacceptable.

Being a bottom tier team in the worst conference in the FBS and getting pasted by a team we beat 59-7 AND WHO ALSO lost to a FCS ballclub is UNACCEPTABLE.

Getting out recruited by Texas State and UTSA is UNACCEPTABLE.

Y'all's expectations are hilariously low. Content with mediocrity. Guess forty years of being a Rangers fan and the last fifteen years of Cowboys football have done that to y'all.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 5

Wow, I got negged for calling this season unacceptable.

Being a bottom tier team in the worst conference in the FBS and getting pasted by a team we beat 59-7 AND WHO ALSO lost to a FCS ballclub is UNACCEPTABLE.

Getting out recruited by Texas State and UTSA is UNACCEPTABLE.

Y'all's expectations are hilariously low. Content with mediocrity. Guess forty years of being a Rangers fan and the last fifteen years of Cowboys football have done that to y'all.

What changes should be made right now then? What is your solution?

• Upvote 2

What changes should be made right now then? What is your solution?

Well, first off, actually get your players READY to play. Against Houston and against MTSU we were NOT ready to play.

Sell the CUSA and our stadium to recruits. Sell Berglund to our recruits. Sell Jimmerson. Sell ESPN. Texas State is getting higher ranked recruits after getting pasted at home to Texas Tech in a glorified high school stadium that was 75% full with Tech fans. Sell the atmosphere. Sell the tailgating experience.

Stop letting Thompson throw away our season. There is NO WAY that anyone, even McNulty, is worse than Thompson has been this year. Brelan, Delgado and Jimmerson have bailed him out of bad decisions all season long.

Stop playing conservatively. At this point, what's to lose? We'd never have the balls to line up in a two QB set in the backfield like ULM or run trick plays or anything like that. We tried it against K-State, Thompson held us back, done deal.

I can go on and on to everything Coach Mac has botched this season. I don't get it. Where is he building to? We have an influx of talent coming in next year...but mostly transfers/eligibility issues, not recruits. Our recruiting is going to help us battle UAB yearly not ECU and Southern Miss.

If you only show up for home games, you can only win half (or in our UNACCEPTABLE case) 5 games out of 12.

Until we live up to our resources and our totally undeserved fan base, our play is unacceptable. Period.

This is our life:

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 3

Well, first off, actually get your players READY to play. Against Houston and against MTSU we were NOT ready to play.

I happen to agree with you...but what I don't agree with is your implied assumption that the coaching staff did not do it's best to have the team ready to play.

So, specifics please...tell me, how does a coach, from your vast experience, insure that the team will be "ready to play". What specifics would you put in place that you assume Coach Mac and Co. Did not try?

From what limited experience I have, I have seen this happen to teams..and some very good teams..from the high school to the pro level and in each and every sport I follow. Seems to me that sometimes teams just come out flat. Sucks, but it happens. Ask any experienced coach and they will tell you this is always a mystery as to why it happened. You seem to imply that you have the answer...so, would love for you to share your secrets so this will never happen to the Mean Green EVER again!

I can just see Coach Mac sitting in that Monday coaches meeting and saying...OK, guys, let' do all we can to make sure the team comes out flat this week. Anyone think that happens?

Stop letting Thompson throw away our season. There is NO WAY that anyone, even McNulty, is worse than Thompson has been this year. Brelan, Delgado and Chancellor have bailed him out of bad decisions all season long.

Stop playing conservatively. At this point, what's to lose? We'd never have the balls to line up in a two QB set in the backfield like ULM or run trick plays or anything like that. We tried it against K-State, Thompson held us back, done deal.

I can go on and on to everything Coach Mac has botched this season. I don't get it. Where is he building to? We have an influx of talent coming in next year...but mostly transfers/eligibility issues, not recruits. Our recruiting is going to help us battle UAB yearly not ECU and Southern Miss.

If you only show up for home games, you can only win half (or in our UNACCEPTABLE case) 5 games out of 12.

Until we live up to our resources and our totally undeserved fan base, our play is unacceptable. Period.

This is our life:

i will give you the first few points i quoted. I agree about Thompson and the conservativeness.

I disagree about where the future talent is coming from. Besides Berglund and maybe the UT transfer, the rest of who will be playing and competing for the depth will high school recruits. I know there are 3-5 dlinemen redshirting along with 2 wide revievers...among others.

If you look at last years recruiting class compared to other schools around the sun belt, UNT did quite well. The jury is still out on recruiting and talent evaluation IMO. If there is no success next season, I'll be in agreement with all points.

Edited by Greenhorn
  • Upvote 1

i will give you the first few points i quoted. I agree about Thompson and the conservativeness.

I disagree about where the future talent is coming from. Besides Berglund and maybe the UT transfer, the rest of who will be playing and competing for the depth will high school recruits. I know there are 3-5 dlinemen redshirting along with 2 wide revievers...among others.

If you look at last years recruiting class compared to other schools around the sun belt, UNT did quite well. The jury is still out on recruiting and talent evaluation IMO. If there is no success next season, I'll be in agreement with all points.

Yeah, on the recruiting and talent evaluation, we will see what happens next year. As of this year, I just don't see much improvement in the far future. I see us as being legitimately VERY good next year as our defense will be older, and our offense a lot stronger, but in the future, I just don't know yet. Prove me wrong, McCarney.

Pssssh... Like Cleveland Browns fans have anything on long suffering UNT fans.

After all, I think I would gladly move the football team to the UNT Dallas campus if it meant a BCS title...

Then again...

My Dad is a Browns fan.

His exact words, "UNT fits right in with the Munthe curse."

The Browns are just as miserable as we are.

• Downvote 4