North Texas Chant

Rudy

Look, The alumni on this board are the ones who want to cheer. Yes, there will be some alums who are not into it. This needs to be a new tradition. It will take a few years for it to become something similar to what KSU, Arkansas, etc do. The point is, the time is NOW to start a new tradition.

And as told rjmunthe last season, if you don't like the alumni side's participation, then bring a group of students over and HELP US.

Ok so I grew up in an Aggie family and their yell leaders have hand signs that everyone mimics up the stadium all the way to the upper tiers. Couldn't we do the same thing with cheerleader printed signs? Call it the "NT CHEER" put that on cheerleader boards. On top of all that make pep rallies at Apogee a huge event that students want to attend. Free stuff, food, bands, but teach new cheers there for the students. It may take pouring money into it, but Midnight Yell is a hugely attended event at A&M. Get the students on board with a new cheer, have some very eager alums on the alum side following and hope the alumni side follows. We have to build new traditions right now with this new push for our athletic program's relevance. The program excellence that was built when I was attending during our early SBC years is dead. The late 80s era program is dead, The Hayden Fry era program is dead. We need to forget all that. Hold on to the traditions that are still being kept and build new ones NOW.

Edited by SAGreenFan

We did, and it was presented to the the Spirit Committee, the cheerleaders and the AD Dept just prior to Dodge's first season, with a suggestion to have the camera on Scrappy to get it started like Kansas State uses their mascot to prompt it. The chant was very simple with a 7 beat rythm like the JETS chant. In fact two different options were presented.

Go!-Mean!-Green!-Eagles!-Fight!-Fight!-Fight!

(say eagles fast enough that it counts as one beat)

Or,

Let's!-Go!-Mean!-Green!-Fight!-Fight!-Fight!

Both use our long standing traditional yell of "Go Mean Green".

Both are short, quick and easy to learn and easy to get started.

And most importantly,.......both have an ENDING!

Everyone in the room seemed opened to the idea until the AD Dept rep shot it down stating "We already have several prompted chants in place with the band", despite being unable to repeat a single one of them.

Then it was like, "Well, anybody else got any other ideas?, ok well thanks for coming",..... and out the door I walked.

Rick

And this sort of bureaucratic mind-set is why the North Texas culture hasn't changed all that much in the last 40/50 years. What that is all about is that someone doesn't want to bother with anything new.

Spirit committee.....I laugh every time I hear someone mention that misnomer. What a colossal fail.

Yeah, one of these is the one they've been trying to push on us for years that goes...

dunt, duh-nuh, nunt, duh-nuh, nunt...NORTH TEXAS

dunt, duh-nuh, nunt, duh-nuh, nunt...NORTH TEXAS

dunt, duh-nuh nunt, duh-nuh, nunt....NORTH TEXAS

and then what sounds like "Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiites"

This ones gotta go.

It's the third down cheer. It's awesome! They're saying fight btw.

I think it works, but as FFRick and others have said ad-nauseum(with good reason), it needs a freaking ending. It just trails off. Sounds so silly at the end.

I love it - just find a way to end it. We are all college grads... Is this really that challenging? Who is the maestro of game day events?

That was a rhetorical question by the way.

I am not sure I agree that it needs an ending. They do it at Hog games and it trails out up there and I never really noticed it till I read it here.

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread-why not just use the cheerleaders to coordinate it?

Obviously, but it sounds like bites.

Never knew it was done for third downs.

On 3rd downs, we should all just be screaming our heads off, not doing a cheer...or is it done when we're on offense?

We start doing the cheer when the second down play ends. Usually we start yelling "FIIIIGHT" (or biiiiite) by the time the players are setting up on the line. Most times the FIIIIIIGHT is usually going by the time the announcer says "It's thiiiirrrrddd down!"

We start doing the cheer when the second down play ends. Usually we start yelling "FIIIIGHT" (or biiiiite) by the time the players are setting up on the line. Most times the FIIIIIIGHT is usually going by the time the announcer says "It's thiiiirrrrddd down!"

I had no idea about this... the band doesn't play their ditty every time though. I'll start chiming in on 3rd downs over on the alumni side though.

This would be great if EVERYONE participated. It would be nice to incorporate "FIGHT!" on the jumbotron or something to let us know. I think it would be awesome if instead of random yells and whistles on 3rd & 4th downs, everyone was in-unison yelling "FIIIII...IIGHT!"

If people don't know what to do and when to do it, how will we ever participate?