Alumni/ Others

mgfan

Really getting a bit tired of people telling me how I should and should not enjoy a UNT home or away football game.

Bottom line...I had a great time...as I always do at Mean Green Games and I don't go there looking for something to complain about before or after the game. Especially not to complain about how folks like to watch the game after they actually buy tickets and get their rear ends into the stadium.

Saw several fans on the Alumni side so full of themselves that they stood near the front rows in the bowl for most of all the game while blocking the view of all those behind them...an sure those standing had a great time...not sure about the folks behind them....whatever floats your boat, but there is no right or wrong way to enjoy a football game...get over yourself and how about appreciating those who show up...lots of empty seats on both the student and alumni side last night.

I cant believe we are having this discussion again? The same point has once again been missed. Several of us (myself included) are some of those "full of themselves" Alums who stand during the games on the Alumni side. We deliberately pick seats as close to the field as possible so we do not block the views of people behind us, but that should not matter. The point made was that the energy and involvement from the student side of the stands influences the game. The student side was very much a part of it, and the Alumni side was not. Many of us, myself included, ARE a part of it from the Alumni side. We stand and scream and cheer, as many fans do in stadiums all over the country, and it not an attempt to be full of ourselves. We are doing what we have always done. We make the opposing teams feel the pressure of playing in our stadium. It's normally called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE, and it seems to again be an issue on the Alumni side. Our own football players walk around the sidelines waving towels asking for the Alumni side fans to stand, but those of us who do are full of ourselves? Texas A&M fans (Alums and students) stand for the entire game..and it is a great tradition! I didnt graduate from A&M, I graduated from UNT. I am proud to wear my Mean Green Jersey while screamin from the Alumni side of the stands. If it really bothers some of you that much, ask the AD to let us buy our season tickets on the student side of the stadium and we will stand and cheer over there. Until I get that phone call, I will yell, scream, cheer, and be a part of the game right where my seats are now. Those of you who want to sit, please just sit. You paid for your tickets, just like I did. But dont ask us to sit because we will not. We are there for the players, and they dont have to wave towels to get us to stand up.

GMG!!! :crazysmile:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I cant believe we are having this discussion again? The same point has once again been missed. Several of us (myself included) are some of those "full of themselves" Alums who stand during the games on the Alumni side. We deliberately pick seats as close to the field as possible so we do not block the views of people behind us, but that should not matter. The point made was that the energy and involvement from the student side of the stands influences the game. The student side was very much a part of it, and the Alumni side was not. Many of us, myself included, ARE a part of it from the Alumni side. We stand and scream and cheer, as many fans do in stadiums all over the country, and it not an attempt to be full of ourselves. We are doing what we have always done. We make the opposing teams feel the pressure of playing in our stadium. It's normally called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE, and it seems to again be an issue on the Alumni side. Our own football players walk around the sidelines waving towels asking for the Alumni side fans to stand, but those of us who do are full of ourselves? Texas A&M fans (Alums and students) stand for the entire game..and it is a great tradition! I didnt graduate from A&M, I graduated from UNT. I am proud to wear my Mean Green Jersey while screamin from the Alumni side of the stands. If it really bothers some of you that much, ask the AD to let us buy our season tickets on the student side of the stadium and we will stand and cheer over there. Until I get that phone call, I will yell, scream, cheer, and be a part of the game right where my seats are now. Those of you who want to sit, please just sit. You paid for your tickets, just like I did. But dont ask us to sit because we will not. We are there for the players, and they dont have to wave towels to get us to stand up.

GMG!!! :crazysmile:

We are having this discussion because some one who stands and blocks views brought it up by criticizing those who have learned to respect others around them by not standing the entire game...we stand when it's appropriate to stand and cheer...but, what some folks forget is that WE are there....we pay as well...so have as much "rights" as anyone else with a ticket. I personally don't care what you do...if you want to stand great! It's wasn't those who might sit more than YOU would like who started this thread I remind you...so, "full of themselves" is a fair description....telling others how they should act at a football game is pretty "full of oneself".

Again...do as you wish...block as many views as you want while you stand for every tv time out if you wish...but stop the criticism...no one here came on with a rant about folks who stand...seems it was one who has learned very little common courtesy that started this thread...just saying...don't want this discussion...don't start it. That simple.

By the way...buying tickets on the front rows and standing does indeed block views...don't want to block views...move...lots of empty eats last evening...would have been the courteous thing to do and you could still stand...but........I, myself, moved a row or two and a seat or two last evening because someone who thought they were the only person in the stadium chose to stand most the game it seemed...didn't call the security folks...didn't ask the three guys to sit...just moved. AND...then...didn't go start a thread on GMG.com about it either.

Bottom line for me...I had a great time...I yelled, I cheered, i got mad at the refs a couple of times, I stood, I sat...and never once felt I needed to tell anyone else how to enjoy a football game. When you find the law book regarding how one must watch a football game...please pass it along.

And, if you support UNT for as many years as some of us have...I hope you keep these posts of yours and read them back in about 30 years. Just another 'sign of the times" I guess. Next time, go find some folks who were not at the game and make sure they actually get to the game and you can "school" them on how to cheer before they buy a ticket. Some of us have probably been buying tickets and going to UNT games loner than you have been alive.....I think we have found our own ways to support the team and enjoy the game. And, even see the field!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Everyone watches the game differently. As long as they are at the game, and get loud at the right times in the game, I'm okay with how they cheer.

My biggest problem is people that bring their kids to the game and let them run all around hiting people in the head with towels and pom poms. Bring your kids. We need more Mean Green fans. Let them be as loud and cheer all they want, but let them do it at their seats.

• Upvote 2

I think there is a happy medium here. I sit on the second row from the top in section 104 and while I'm not a very vocal person in life, but at football games I try to make as much noise for the team in what I deem the appropriate times. As far as standing goes, I would probably stand every minute of every game if I could, because of nervous energy more than anything. However I have some elderly fans behind me and try to be respectful and conscious of theirs and others sight lines during the game, usually asking if I'm in their way and if I find myself blocking them from play, I sit down. But, there are also times that I don't think anyone should expect others to stay seated or get mad at when other fans stand (3rd/4th downs, kickoffs, etc.).

Basically, if you're lucky enough to be in an area where you can stand and be loud all the time and that's the style of fan you are, then do it. If you're in a seat that doesn't allow you to stand and yell the entire game, then only do it in those critical/called for times of the game.

The thing is is that everyone who's on the alumni side is a fan of the school (also donors, for the most part) and the team and can choose to show their support however they want. And if we want to keep growing this program to the levels that we all want, then we will need all of our fans to do it, the loud and crazy ones, the calm and quiet ones and everyone in between.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps an option to provide a positive outcome for both the "I want to stand up and cheer" as well as the "I watch closely but sit and enjoy myself quietly" crowds, without them pissing one another off, would be to ask for a creation of a "Stand and Yell" portion on that side of the field? Then nobody could really say much about any degree of excesses in enthusiasm unless they were in the wrong seats.

I bought four front row seats for just the varied reasons given in the prior postings, and by doing so:

1. I stand when appropriate and do so while remaining respectful to those around me.

2. I sit on my butt when i damned well please! Great talent I have: I can cheer/jeer; I can be obnoxious to the opposing team, and still sit on my butt at the same time. Ask those around me.

3. I don't have to worry about some idiot with a 10-gallon hat or other such visual distraction sitting in front of me to block my view.

4. I enjoy the games without the irritation and frustration that comes from other's selfishness and self-centered behavior.

5. If I wanted to stand the entire game then I would have purchased four seats in an area of the stadium where standing throughout the game is the norm. I did so for years - I no longer choose to do so.

6. I suggest that those of you who insist that you will stand regardless of the fact that you are blocking the view of those behind you...

.....i.e., blocking the view of those fans and financial supporters who paid the same ticket price you did (plus significant contributions to the Athletic Department of UNT) in order to support The Mean Grean.....

I suggest you file this thread away and review the topic/your postings in 30 - 40 years and see if your attitude has changed!

In the meantime I am enjoying watching the games without engaging in or having to deal with the selfish crap some of you call "supporting the team"!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I have season tickets on the alumni side and had the opportunity to watch Saturday's game in the suites (we visited many during the game.) Many folks are bringing donors and potential donors to their suites and season ticket seats. While we are enjoying a game, we are also doing a little business for the University. It would be unprofessional to yell, stomp feet, etc. during most of the game, in this situation. It is good to see the excitement by others; especially the students. In this case, having a pleasant time at the game and discussing university opportunities is much more important than, "getting loud," although we do enjoy others getting loud. Be aprised that this is going before getting upset that many alumni aren't yelling, stomping, and the like. I AM glad that the noise occurs. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Agreed.

Age has nothing to do with it. My mom is 69 and she screams all the time.

Good for her, but does she stand and scream? The wear and tear on knees after age 55 often results in being unable to readily get up and down or to stand constantly. When you are standing constantly you block the view of that person and deprive them of being able to watch the game. I have no objection to anyone standing as long as it doesn't obstruct anyone else so ideally those in the alumni section would be on the back rows of the lower tier. And, since I'm hard of hearing, crowd noise does not bother me and I doubt that it does others. It doesn't bother my wife and I accuse her of having ears so sensitive that she can hear a rat peeing on cotton.

Now, if everyone was meant to stand then why go to the expense of having seats? If you want to stand I have no objection as long as you are considerate of others. They may be enjoying the game just as much in a more subdued manner. At least they are there.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I personally have a hard time getting too excited and yelling at appropriate moments when the seats in front of me and beside me are empty. Get butts in seats on the west side and there would be a better chance of everyone there being louder. I remember going to Mavs games in the 90s where there were 5-6 thousand people in Reunion Arena and people not being very loud even in close games and exciting moments. The contrast to a sold out AAC is drastic. Sure, winning has a lot to do with it there, but it's a lot easier to get excited and loud when you are elbow to elbow with others doing the same thing.

My season seat selection for Apogee Stadium last year was a piece of unexpected genius...

I chose section 204 at the very top on the aisle...

That accomplished 2 things I wasn't aware of during the buying process:

1) I am always in the shade for games in the sun and always under cover for bad weather games...

2) There is no one directly behind me so I can do whatever I want during a game and there are no complaints...

I admit I sit down for a good portion of the game due to poor health, but emotion and excitement cause me to rise to my feet throughout the game...

And as one poster earlier put it, we are all there to support the Mean Green... Why complain...??

• Upvote 1

I bought four front row seats for just the varied reasons given in the prior postings, and by doing so:

1. I stand when appropriate and do so while remaining respectful to those around me.

2. I sit on my butt when i damned well please! Great talent I have: I can cheer/jeer; I can be obnoxious to the opposing team, and still sit on my butt at the same time. Ask those around me.

3. I don't have to worry about some idiot with a 10-gallon hat or other such visual distraction sitting in front of me to block my view.

4. I enjoy the games without the irritation and frustration that comes from other's selfishness and self-centered behavior.

5. If I wanted to stand the entire game then I would have purchased four seats in an area of the stadium where standing throughout the game is the norm. I did so for years - I no longer choose to do so.

6. I suggest that those of you who insist that you will stand regardless of the fact that you are blocking the view of those behind you...

.....i.e., blocking the view of those fans and financial supporters who paid the same ticket price you did (plus significant contributions to the Athletic Department of UNT) in order to support The Mean Grean.....

I suggest you file this thread away and review the topic/your postings in 30 - 40 years and see if your attitude has changed!

In the meantime I am enjoying watching the games without engaging in or having to deal with the selfish crap some of you call "supporting the team"!

Bingo

• Upvote 3