why doesnt the team get to travel overseas to play internationally ove

angel1972

looking at the schedule of all the non bcs schools money could not be the issue. Are we that cheap. We have one if the best teams in the history of unt and it seems to me we are not taking advantage of the marketing side. I would love to drive up 35n and see a billboard with Tony or the team on the side of the road

I've asked the question for the last 3 years, but have never gotten a response. Last year would have been ideal w/ all the incoming freshman we had. It gives teams bonding experience & chemistry.

History shows that teams who get to participate in these summers events start out much better than those who don't.

If my memory is correct , MTSU played this past summer & FAU, Denver the year before

I don't know if it's money or not, but I would guess even a trip to Canada would be pretty expensive

As far as marketing this team so far , epic fail. If I wasn't such a huge fan I would have no idea how good this team is expected to be.

IMO season ticket sales should have been made available to the public as soon as Benford was named Head Coach and/or Tony Mitchell announced he was staying.

Had a co worker (someone who has only been To 1 UNT game) call ticket office right after TM said he was coming back only to be told to call back months later. Sorry, that can't happen. You have to capitalize on the opportunity.

It's not too late to market Tony Mitchell and this team, but if we aren't making an effort for near sellouts it will be a huge dissappointment

I think the students will show up for BB like never before , but we need to get the word out to the alumni & the DFW

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5

Sadly most people do not know who Tony Mitchel is. HS coaches in disdain do not, a majority of the students (from what I have gathered) do not, the average Denton citizen has no clue! I agree it is time for UNT to capitalize on this because no one sees this team as any different then 5 years ago...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I've asked the question for the last 3 years, but have never gotten a response. Last year would have been ideal w/ all the incoming freshman we had. It gives teams bonding experience & chemistry.

History shows that teams who get to participate in these summers events start out much better than those who don't.

If my memory is correct , MTSU played this past summer & FAU, Denver the year before

I don't know if it's money or not, but I would guess even a trip to Canada would be pretty expensive

As far as marketing this team so far , epic fail. If I wasn't such a huge fan I would have no idea how good this team is expected to be.

IMO season ticket sales should have been made available to the public as soon as Benford was named Head Coach and/or Tony Mitchell announced he was staying.

Had a co worker (someone who has only been To 1 UNT game) call ticket office right after TM said he was coming back only to be told to call back months later. Sorry, that can't happen. You have to capitalize on the opportunity.

It's not too late to market Tony Mitchell and this team, but if we aren't making an effort for near sellouts it will be a huge dissappointment

I think the students will show up for BB like never before , but we need to get the word out to the alumni & the DFW

I'm not surprised that he wasn't able to buy them when he called, but I am VERY surprised that they told him to call back instead of adding him to the list of people to call when season tix go on sale to the general public.

Maybe they are trying to push football right now, but if they don't really crank up basketball marketing after the first home game...

Edited by MeanMag

The extra competition and practice time would be invaluable to UNT this year. Crazy that we are not doing this.

If it's not money, then it's terrible planning not to have done this.

Does anyone know when basketball season ticket renewals happen? I want my seats!!

I'm not surprised that he wasn't able to buy them when he called, but I am VERY surprised that they told him to call back instead of adding him to the list of people to call when season tix go on sale to the general public.

Maybe they are trying to push football right now, but if they don't really crank up basketball marketing after the first home game...

Don't worry , I'm getting him squared away along w/ 2 possible others.

I love football too eventhough bball is my first love. I don't see very much marketing for football either. There is a unt Dallas right down the street from me and you can find some billboards about education which is wonderful. So with the revenue that sports bring in. Why can't we post some athletes. I'm really gonna dig into this. If I had someone sponsor a billboard for us would that be a problem

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love football too eventhough bball is my first love. I don't see very much marketing for football either. There is a unt Dallas right down the street from me and you can find some billboards about education which is wonderful. So with the revenue that sports bring in. Why can't we post some athletes. I'm really gonna dig into this. If I had someone sponsor a billboard for us would that be a problem

Be prepared to be told "thanks but no thanks" becaus they're already "discussing stuff in meetings".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

The list of schools doing this is really larger than the list in the linked stories. I know you can only go once every 4 years. I know most Big 12 schools do it every time they can. Plus KU and K-State are on these trips but not on list.

UNT got into the NIT this year so hopefully this is something we can start doing in the future. Next year would be a great year to do since we will have some new faces and have to learn to play without Mitchell.

These are the type of things the program needs to do as it continues to grow.

Looks like we're going to have one hell of a battle on our hands if their team is that physical. The gameplan will probably be "Get TM the F out of the game as fast as possible with foul trouble".