Stadium Journey Rates The Super Pit

I've given up in my crusade to stop people from referencing the old men's gym as "The Snake Pit". The Snake Pit was indeed used but very infrequently. At least in my days. it was normally called The Pit. I looked through all my NT Daily's and Yucca's from the era and could not find one reference to "The Snake Pit"...always "The Pit",

As far as the reporter's story about "The Snake Pit" (sic) getting its name from those frequent floods and snakes found in the aftermath, that sounds about right to me.

At any rate, looking forward to some great basketball at The Super Snake Pit this season.

I've given up in my crusade to stop people from referencing the old men's gym as "The Snake Pit". The Snake Pit was indeed used but very infrequently. At least in my days. it was normally called The Pit. I looked through all my NT Daily's and Yucca's from the era and could not find one reference to "The Snake Pit"...always "The Pit",

As far as the reporter's story about "The Snake Pit" (sic) getting its name from those frequent floods and snakes found in the aftermath, that sounds about right to me.

At any rate, looking forward to some great basketball at The Super Snake Pit this season.

The old Men's Gym is on a hillside and I can't recall water or snakes in the gym. It was dubbed the "Snake Pit" by then Drake coach Maury John. He likened having to play here was like going into a snake pit. He said something like there's danger at every turn and you have to be very careful. We were a tough place to play because of a pressing defense and crowd noise.

I believe that it was mostly sportswriters who used the term "Snake Pit". We always called it "the Pit." Had it been very popular I guess we would have dubbed our new digs "the Super Snake Pit."

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn since it was well before my time, but I was under the impression that "The Pit" was just shorthand for "The Snake Pit." Kind of like how your average Joe never utters the complete phrase, "The Ballpark in (or is it "at"?) Arlington."

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm pretty sure the origin of "Snake Pit" is from an opposing coach who called it the most terrible place in the world to play, adding, "The place is like a snake pit!"

I vaguely remember seeing this review for the Super Pit before, but it's good to see it again.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Sorry, I was indeed being a little sarcastic. You are correct, the term "Snake Pit" did come from the Drake coach during the old MVC days. And as Gray said, there is no way for the Men's Gym to have flooded. I suspect the writer of the Super Pit review just made this up as it sounded pretty good!

I'm not surewhere the "Super Pit" moniker came from. But it was Women's Basketball announcer and former Sports Information Director Robb Coffey that dubbed it "The Fabulous Super PIt." It was once refered to by Playboy Magazine as the "Best named arena in College Basketball."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

guys i would love to see the Super PIt packed this season! Can we break the attendance record? for a single game and for the whole season?

Assuming Coach Benford has his team ready to play--and I firmly believe he will--we ought to have very good attendance for every game. There is a huge buzz around NT hoops that I have never personally witnessed this long before the season even starts. But I doubt we'll touch the single game record, since we won't be playing any marquee opponents. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong on that.

• Upvote 2

Assuming Coach Benford has his team ready to play--and I firmly believe he will--we ought to have very good attendance for every game. There is a huge buzz around NT hoops that I have never personally witnessed this long before the season even starts. But I doubt we'll touch the single game record, since we won't be playing any marquee opponents. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong on that.

It be nice to set the season attendance record this year. I'd say that is very attainable.