5. South Alabama

6. Louisiana

7. Middle Tennessee

8. Florida Atlantic

9. North Texas

10. Louisiana-Monroe

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/July12/DBJuly2.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

Interesting but not surprising -- when Dodge was allowed to sell out in that 4th year and signed 9 jucos combined with Mac reluctance to sign Jucos our youth tag was sealed.

A 4th year he should have never been given.

But I digress...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

And this is the reason why I think Mean Green Coach Dan McCarney's 3'rd year will be his best at North Texas and the timing of that could not be any better with our inaugural year in C-USA. I've checked other newbies coming into CUSA with us and one key newbie who will be a rival will lose 15 senior starters after this Fall. I think we lose 8 or 9, but will have many young players with more experience after this Fall.

I have no idea about this Fall, but Fry's 2'nd year disaster (2 wins) keeps coming up in my mind for some reason and (ultimately) I hope that's all it is--a false premonition. I hope that Coach Mac avoids or overcomes what many NCAA coach's have happen in their 2'nd year.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am more interested in % of starts from 2011 returning.

Pretty good for the O. The Line has solid starts now, everyone has at least one season and Fortenberry and Feeley have more, QB solid, Receivers solid, Running Backs weak, TE is solid. The D has some good starts on the line and LBs, but weak in Secondary.

We can't lose at LSU! If we get beat up, we all expected that. If we don't, it'll propel us into the rest of the season.

Edited by jimbob
  • Upvote 1

"I have no idea about this Fall, but Fry's 2'nd year disaster (2 wins) keeps coming up in my mind for some reason and (ultimately) I hope that's all it is--a false premonition. I hope that Coach Mac avoids or overcomes what many NCAA coach's have happen in their 2'nd year".

Plum eat lots more fiber- this too will pass!

• Upvote 2

More "GOBBLEDY GOOP" that press guys come up with to justify their jobs that doesnt have a thing to do about winning a football game. Per this spread sheet with all the pretty colors and columns, Fresno St. has the highest percentage of upperclassmen...go ahead and crown them Nat'l champs.

• Downvote 1

"I have no idea about this Fall, but Fry's 2'nd year disaster (2 wins) keeps coming up in my mind for some reason and (ultimately) I hope that's all it is--a false premonition. I hope that Coach Mac avoids or overcomes what many NCAA coach's have happen in their 2'nd year".

Hey "D" man! Well, on your advice.....I've been eating more oatmeal, granola bars, brocolli, turnip greens and guess what? I already feel better about this Fall and I sure as hell have been more regular (if you know what I mean). :) So I guess that says one thing: When one is full of $h&t it sure can cloud up the mind and create bad premonitions for upcoming football campaigns. :hair:

Happy 4'th again all! :abe:

GMG!

Very good point. How strong was the schedule back in 1974? How does it compare to our 2012 schedule, as far as stregth of schedule? I'd think it would be hard to compare.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Very good point. How strong was the schedule back in 1974? How does it compare to our 2012 schedule, as far as stregth of schedule? I'd think it would be hard to compare.

1974 (2-7-2)

9/14 ......L ..... SMU # ................................... 6-7

9/21 ......L ..... at Tulsa................................. 6-31

9/28 ......L .....LAMAR ............................... 7-27

10/5 ......T .... at Drake* ........................... 24-24

10/12 ...L .....LOUISVILLE* .................. 10-24

10/19 ...W ...NEW MEXICO STATE* 24-19

10/26 ...L .....MEMPHIS .......................... 0-41

11/2 ......W ...#20 SAN DIEGO STATE .. 14-9

11/9 ......T .... at Wichita State* ............... 10-10

11/16 ....L ..... at West Texas State* ......... 14-21

11/23 ...L .....LONG BEACH STATE ... 19-35

# game played at Texas Stadium (Irving, Texas

A positve was that they beat a ranked team.

1974 (2-7-2)

9/14 ......L ..... SMU # ................................... 6-7

9/21 ......L ..... at Tulsa................................. 6-31

9/28 ......L .....LAMAR ............................... 7-27

10/5 ......T .... at Drake* ........................... 24-24

10/12 ...L .....LOUISVILLE* .................. 10-24

10/19 ...W ...NEW MEXICO STATE* 24-19

10/26 ...L .....MEMPHIS .......................... 0-41

11/2 ......W ...#20 SAN DIEGO STATE .. 14-9

11/9 ......T .... at Wichita State* ............... 10-10

11/16 ....L ..... at West Texas State* ......... 14-21

11/23 ...L .....LONG BEACH STATE ... 19-35

# game played at Texas Stadium (Irving, Texas

A positve was that they beat a ranked team.

UNT's only win against a ranked team ever. Somehow I doubt a 5-1 SDSU team with a loss to Arizona and wins over Tampa, UTEP, Fresno, San Jose, and Cal St-Long Beach would be ranked these days.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, San Diego State Aztecs were tied with another school for a ranking of #19 in that Top 20 poll. I think SDSU came into Fouts that day as a Big West Conference member

but (as always) I stand to be corrected.

I had to check with one of my main Mean Green resources for confirmation on the #19 part, though.

Funny part was how the Aztecs "then" HFC Claude Gilbert after that game kicked the visiting team's water cooler off the wall destroying the cooler he was so mad. Our good friend

Rick Spears told me "A.D." Fry had to send them a bill for the damage, too. (I never heard if they paid it or not, though).

NTXCoog, it really seems to me that back in those era, you didn't seem to have to have a prior 50 year NCAA golden college football legacy or reputation to get ranked as it seems you do today. Our former conference-mate Boise State showed us all what it takes to get ranked and henceforth, we who are not in the Big 5 FBS conferences have to all aim high and follow their example.

If you're reading this, NTXCoog, do you remember how high Duffy Daugherty's Michigan State team was ranked back on that 1967 Fall Game Day when UH shocked the nation with a slobber-knockin' of the Spartans? Our HS football team was on the way to a game in Schulenberg, Texas, against Sacred Heart HS but we were all listening to that UH game on our, uh, "transistor" radios. Our HFC was a UH alum and had no problem with us doing that, too. LOL!

GMG!

• Upvote 1

UNT's only win against a ranked team ever. Somehow I doubt a 5-1 SDSU team with a loss to Arizona and wins over Tampa, UTEP, Fresno, San Jose, and Cal St-Long Beach would be ranked these days.

Not so sure of that, San Diego State was coming off a 9-0-1 year in 1973 when they beat NT 56-9. They finished 8-2-1 in 1974 and Arizona finished 9-2.