WBRZ: Resume Questions Arise after LSU Coaches resignation

Harry

BATON ROUGE - One day after LSU Assistant Men's Basketball Coach Shawn Forrest stepped down, questions have been raised as to why.

He had only been an assistant coach for the Tigers for 40 days before leaving abruptly.

Forrest said in a statement Monday, "I appreciate the opportunity given to me by Coach Jones and LSU. There are some personal matters that have taken a priority that I need to give immediate attention."

Last month in a news release issued through email and posted on their website, LSUSports.net, a spokesperson for the athletic department wrote of Forrest's basketball and life accomplishments.

One paragraph read, "Forrest received a Bachelor of Arts from The University of Arkansas Pine Bluff in 1998 and a Master's of Education from Troy [university] in 2000."

But Troy University has no record Forrest ever completed the program.

Read more: http://www.wbrz.com/news/resume-questions-arise-after-lsu-coach-s-resignation/

I hate to think that's the reason he resigned. He doesn't need his masters to be an assistant. Hope everything is OK. Still have much love for the Guy. I've told a coupla fibs on my resume to make it look good...lol

I really hope that's a joke. Seriously, most companies should and will fire you for it. It shows a lack of integrity. I really hope that's not the issue with Forrest and that it's some misunderstanding about his degree. But it's on him to correct it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

False statements on a job application is tantamount to lying under oath. And, in many cases, a master's degree entitles one to higher pay so that would be taking money under false pretenses.

Sometimes, enhancing what you accomplished may work for you but if you get caught it could hurt future job opportunities. In Shawn's case I hope that this breach is not considered to be substantial because he did a great recruiting job while he was here and I think that he would be a highly capable assistant.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It looks like Troy is claiming he did not receive a Masters. This info was updated from the earlier article on their website:

Last month in a news release issued through email and posted on their website, LSUSports.net, a spokesperson for the athletic department wrote of Forrest's basketball and life accomplishments.

One paragraph read, "Forrest received a Bachelor of Arts from The University of Arkansas Pine Bluff in 1998 and a Master's of Education from Troy [university] in 2000."

But Troy University has no record Forrest ever completed the program.

In a statement, Cliff Lusk with media relations for the university said, "According to our records, he did not receive a masters. He did take classes, but he did not complete the requirements for graduation."

News 2 asked the LSU Athletic Department for Forrest's resume and an on camera interview. We wanted to know if Forrest had listed a masters from Troy in his resume given to LSU, what type of background checks, if any, LSU performs with new hires, and if Forrest was forced out.

None of it was answered, and in an emailed statement, LSU Senior Associate Athletic Director Herb Vincent said, "as stated in the press release issued Monday, Coach Forrest has resigned for personal reasons and LSU has no further comment. LSU looks forward to completing our men's basketball coaching staff very soon and preparing for the upcoming season."

LSU's website isn't the only publication citing Forrest as having a master's degree from Troy. He spent the past three years as an assistant to Johnny Jones at the University of North Texas. That school's athletic website lists the same accomplishments.

Read more: http://www.wbrz.com/...-s-resignation/

Adding a fake degree to your resume is much different than simply embellishing your resume. A pretty hefty percentage of people have used resume verbage in regard to past positions that make them sound as if they had higher level responsibilities and such, but adding a non-existent degree to your resume is more than a little over the top.

Not the smartest thing to do either, because it's very easy to get caught these days. I wish the guy the best, but I think we dodged a major bullet here. Not only could his hiring have resulted in some big-time negative press, but we could very well have had some pretty serious problems in the player personnel area. It could have been embarassing for a bunch of people if we had to start this new coaching staff thing all over again.

• Upvote 1