BCS to end AQ schools

mgfan

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18843675/bcs-recommends-four-team-playoff-format-for-2014

"The BCS also announced there will no longer be automatic qualifier and non-AQ conferences, but the power leagues (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC) likely will still earn more revenue than other leagues. A big unknown is whether the Big East will still be compensated as an AQ conference."

What does this mean for us? And does this mean schools like Boise State, Smu, and UH may be heading back to the conferences that they were in?

What does this mean for us? And does this mean schools like Boise State, Smu, and UH may be heading back to the conferences that they were in?

Could mean a lot of things...

1. The Alliance is dead.

2. Boise could go back to MWC. Doubt Houston and SMU come back.

3. The Big Six has devised the murder of the heads of the Five Families in New York, to assume and consolidate their nefarious power.

I don't get why they don't do it similar to how they do NCAA basketball. Win your conference and your into the playoffs, and still have at large bids to make it a 16 team playoff. Each game can be a different "bowl". how hard is that?

• Upvote 2

How great would if be if Smu came back to Cusa with us in it? I would love to see that.

That is so possible... If we are moving fast enough now..

I am nervous for our CUSA move to become official as soon as possible, because of the fear that without the AQ boise turns a TCU on the Big east and then SMU and houston might want to come back too (for what is the Big least without Boise football-wise but a long travel conference) ! If UH and SMU try to move back before contracts are signed, it might still screw UNT. If CUSA feels that it is becoming more and more realistic that their members come back, they might think once more about letting new teams in. Particularly if those are in the same market.

Edited by outoftown

That is so possible... If we are moving fast enough now..

I am nervous for our CUSA move to become official as soon as possible, because of the fear that without the AQ boise turns a TCU on the Big east and then SMU and houston might want to come back too (for what is the Big least without Boise football-wise but a long travel conference) ! If UH and SMU try to move back before contracts are signed, it might still screw UNT. If CUSA feels that it is becoming more and more realistic that their members come back, they might think once more about letting new teams in. Particularly if those are in the same market.

I think if SMU and Houston decided to move back to C-USA (and leave millions of dollars on the table), then you would miraculously see a MWC invite in UNT's queue.

TV money for the Big East will still be better than it is in CUSA. No way Houston or SMU come back. But the gap between the Big East and CUSA has closed. Without the AQ, the dream of having a decent team that sneaks into a BCS game is gone.

I think if SMU and Houston decided to move back to C-USA (and leave millions of dollars on the table), then you would miraculously see a MWC invite in UNT's queue.

Well TV money may be better for the moment, but you also spend nicely on the non-revenue sports, and all that travel... tiring. What is more: if Boise should go back to the MWC, because without the WAC they'll have a hard time parking their non-revenue sports anywhere, then where is the big easts football perception gonna be? Are recruits gonna see much of a difference between big east and MWC and CUSA?

In any case, if there is no AQ anymore, that is bad for the Big east... and $MU :devil:

I would just feel more comfortable if we finally had an official statement about the CUSA thing.

Edited by outoftown

"...diminish the regular season..." my ass!

What the football powers are always trying to protect against is the March madness type of upset. God forbid that we have an 8- or 16-team format with conference champions and an 11-0 Oklahoma/Texas/Ohio State/Alabama, etc. gets upset in the opening round by a "mid-major."

Duh.

Hey, being a champion means preparing every week - even during the playoffs. The only thing diminished would be those schools and their conference earning more money during that particular playoff. Dopes.

These guys know that because the pre-season polls will always have traditional powers ranked more highly than others, there will not be even more of a chance of not having to include Johnny-come-latelys like Boise State and TCU. It may be a bigger screw job than the BCS. Boise, TCU, and Utah forcing their way in once the Top 8 rule was established made the big boys have to split money with little guys.

The biggest cowards in America run the college football post-season. And...the NCAA just sits by acting as though it can do nothing about it.

• Upvote 2