Great Hire!

So, Rawlins tagged along with RV to Florida just to get out of the office? Ah...........ok.

I didn't say that. But when the AD and the President both go to visit the coach RV wants it gives a much better impression of the committment the university has. This makes hiring the right coach much more likely. I also bet Rawlings never told RV you need to hire a certain coach - I bet he allows RV to do his job.

I didn't say that. But when the AD and the President both go to visit the coach RV wants it gives a much better impression of the committment the university has. This makes hiring the right coach much more likely. I also bet Rawlings never told RV you need to hire a certain coach - I bet he allows RV to do his job.

So then, what you're saying is Rawlins has played a major role in the last three hires with his influence?

So then, what you're saying is Rawlins has played a major role in the last three hires with his influence?

Yes, I never meant to imply otherwise. I believe Rick did the work of identifing the candidates, interviewing, and recommending the choice. I believe Rawlins has provided the support that RV needs to hire that person.

I don't believe Shanice RV's was his first choice at the time. I don't believe he would have hired Todd Dodge if he had the money and new stadium in progress that he had when he hired McCarney. RV has done so much during his time to make this a more attractive university for coaches and Rawlings is adding onto and reinforcing that.

• Upvote 2

Look, RV is responsible for ALL hires. Seems there are 2 factions. One faction wants to blame RV for all the bad hires and credit Rawlins for all the good hides. The other faction wants to blame past presidents for restricting RV on hires and credit RV now that his hands are supposedly untied.

Here is the deal: If RV was forced to hire Stephens and Dodge, then it's his cault for not being able to sway the university president away from those hires, just like it will be his fault if Mac and Benford turn out to be failures.

And he deserves credit for the JJ hire (amazing how a university president didn't affect that one way or the other, isn't it? Why? Because the anti-JJ faction are the same people wanting to blame RV and credit Rawlins for everything, but JJ doesn't fit neatly into that box), the Aston hire. He deserves blame for the Dodge and Stephens hire.

Really not more complicated than that., people.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I never meant to imply otherwise. I believe Rick did the work of identifing the candidates, interviewing, and recommending the choice. I believe Rawlins has provided the support that RV needs to hire that person.

I don't believe Shanice RV's was his first choice at the time. I don't believe he would have hired Todd Dodge if he had the money and new stadium in progress that he had when he hired McCarney. RV has done so much during his time to make this a more attractive university for coaches and Rawlings is adding onto and reinforcing that.

Fair enough. I agree RV has done some wonderful things over the last 10 years for UNT and against all odds. I also think that an individual who had the vision and was instrumental in establishing a new conference, that being CUSA, is far more involved in the selection process of "finding" new coaches than some may believe. Wake Forest, Marquette and Florida?

And you know what? It's just my opinion, nothing more.

However, one must admit that the bar has been raised and the expectation for UNT athletics has been raised since Rawlins took over as President at UNT. I just think Rawlins is a more on hands type of guy than some might think. That's good for RV, the athletes, the fans and the Univeristy.

• Upvote 1

Look, RV is responsible for ALL hires. Seems there are 2 factions. One faction wants to blame RV for all the bad hires and credit Rawlins for all the good hides. The other faction wants to blame past presidents for restricting RV on hires and credit RV now that his hands are supposedly untied.

Here is the deal: If RV was forced to hire Stephens and Dodge, then it's his cault for not being able to sway the university president away from those hires, just like it will be his fault if Mac and Benford turn out to be failures.

And he deserves credit for the JJ hire (amazing how a university president didn't affect that one way or the other, isn't it? Why? Because the anti-JJ faction are the same people wanting to blame RV and credit Rawlins for everything, but JJ doesn't fit neatly into that box), the Aston hire. He deserves blame for the Dodge and Stephens hire.

Really not more complicated than that., people.

And, don't forget the great hires that RV made for our other woman's programs. Not sure about when the men's golf coach was hired but look at his success.

Edited by meangreenbob

Fair enough. I agree RV has done some wonderful things over the last 10 years for UNT and against all odds. I also think that an individual who had the vision and was instrumental in establishing a new conference, that being CUSA, is far more involved in the selection process of "finding" new coaches than some may believe. Wake Forest, Marquette and Florida?

And you know what? It's just my opinion, nothing more.

However, one must admit that the bar has been raised and the expectation for UNT athletics has been raised since Rawlins took over as President at UNT. I just think Rawlins is a more on hands type of guy than some might think. That's good for RV, the athletes, the fans and the Univeristy.

You may be right ... we just don't know for sure. With Rawlings and RV we have our best opportuntiy to move the program forward than we've ever had.

You know, I'd bet that every AD has made a bad hire somewhere in their tenure. That likely applies to those with pretty good budgets to work with. If you're pretty much operating on a shoestring you can't afford to go after ones that should be no-brainers; you have to work within your budget.

We have the good students of UNT to thank for a little capital to make some good hires. Do you really think that we would have gotten Dan McCarney at Todd Dodge's salary or Karen Aston at Stephens'? We wouldn't have gotten Tony Benford at JJ's original salary.

Great Hires are the result of homework and selling but you also need resources. RV may just now be scratching the surface to get the money that is necessary for salaries of highly qualified coaches. Hopefully, there will be no further long shots due to budget constraints.

If you see a North Texas student, tell him or her how much you appreciate their sacrifice.

• Upvote 1

Checks and balances e.g. Todd Dodge

Two things about that hire.

1) There was no way in hell the president at that time was going to let the football coach have a higher salary than the president.

2) When you've got a checkbook with cobwebs and dust in it, you hire out of high school.

I don't think Rick set out to hire such a buffoon, nor do I think he makes that mistake again. As for Shanice Stephens, the other gaffe, I've got to say that I was impressed as hell the first time I met her after the girls came from behind to beat Valparaiso. It was all down hill from there, so I'm giving Rick a mulligan on that one.

In spite of people's best efforts to prove that Rick is either incompetent or uncaring towards UNT, I would argue that he is quite the contrary to both, and I'm glad he's here in Denton.

• Upvote 3