ESPN Blog: Fran strong candidate for UNT job

KoldBeer

Count me in favor as well, solid hire all around. The coaches we have in place are impressive to say the least compared to what we had in place in 2000, we have come a long way and this will be another hire we can impress people with.

With all three schools(SMU, TCU, UNT) hiring new coaches it's imperative that we strike first and get in to the NCAA tourney and win a game or two this season, it would go a long way with recruits in the area to be the only metroplex team in the tourney. I just hope if we get in our OOC showing will be strong enough to net us a 12 seed or higher, that seems unrealistic though.

• Upvote 1

If Fran is hired, it would be cool if he could convince SMU to play us this year or maybe just an exhibition game. I'd be down for having it at Moody...shorter drive for me. I imagine that he might get some interesting teams and tournaments on the schedule given his contacts etc... his connections couldn't hurt.

Got to hang out with a few of the basketball players after the spring game over at my house. Not going to drop names but those three that were there all said they were 100 percent sure that they were staying. And they also did say they were Team Fran all the way as am I and as we all should be.

GMG

Are they black?

• Upvote 4

I think there are pros and cons to hire 3 candidates. Fran (head coach exp) yes, but his last stop at New Mexico was not that impressive. Benford (no head coach exp), but high upside. Forrest (no head coach exp), but knows the players, very well. I think RV will make the best choice. Interesting hire!

Good post. On the outside you would think Fran is a slam dunk but it sounds like Benford is making a strong run.

A couple of really interesting lines from story:

* Multiple sources said Jones has endorsed Fraschilla for the job.

* North Texas is on the verge of possibly moving to Conference USA, according to multiple sources.

* Mitchell could still declare for the NBA draft by Sunday's deadline. Sources said Mitchell is waiting to see who gets the head coaching job before making a decision.

I guess the endorcement of our former winning coach along with Fran's head coaching experience couldn't overcome a guy with neither.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1