freak goal at the end from 30 yards skipped on the backup goalie (who had played great until that point) and he couldn't push it over the crossbar...the usa shouldn't have lost...but they did. stinks they won't get the developemental time that the olympics would have given them...wish the usa was better at soccer internationally.

CBL?

It's a developmental road-bump and a shame to not be able to see the U.S. compete in the Olympics, but it's not a huge deal. The Euro Cup is also this year, so any under-23 who can crack the national team will be playing in Russia/Ukraine and the Olympic squad will be even more second-rate.

Klinnsmann already has a series of summer friendlies...I'd rather see guys like Shea, Boyd, Diskerud, et al get work in these international competitions and try and at least get training spells with some top European clubs. I think developmentally that would be more beneficial than playing second-tier Euro-nation internationals

Larger arenas or not, they still outdraw both. So much for a sport that no one watches, eh?

What about on TV, which sports have the better ratings. Not trying to say that no one watches, but in person attendance is usually the most passionate group. Demand for NBA and NHL games seems to be pretty high given the smaller number of seats and the higher price of admission. What is the average cost of a ticket for a soccer game?

What about on TV, which sports have the better ratings. Not trying to say that no one watches, but in person attendance is usually the most passionate group. Demand for NBA and NHL games seems to be pretty high given the smaller number of seats and the higher price of admission. What is the average cost of a ticket for a soccer game?

Depends on where you're living for the average cost, but its the 2nd most popular sport in the country after the NFL among 12-24 year olds. These old farts still think its cool to make fun of it though. Hilarious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-black/soccer-popularity_b_1328136.html

Depends on where you're living for the average cost, but its the 2nd most popular sport in the country after the NFL among 12-24 year olds. These old farts still think its cool to make fun of it though. Hilarious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-black/soccer-popularity_b_1328136.html

Still doesn't cover TV ratings. Also, the 12-24 demo is important, but there are still more baby boomers than there are 12-24 year olds and the boomers have more buying power, making it arguably a more key demo at this point. Soccer is betting on the future and will likely become more lucrative as these young people grow up and gain buying power. Your article kind of rebukes the concept that soccer is the second most popular sport right now, but suggests that it likely will be in the future.

Still doesn't cover TV ratings.

For whatever reason, people aren't watching soccer on TV. The few matches that Fox showed on Sunday morning got good ratings, but cable tells a different story.

Also, the 12-24 demo is important, but there are still more baby boomers than there are 12-24 year olds and the boomers have more buying power, making it arguably a more key demo at this point. Soccer is betting on the future and will likely become more lucrative as these young people grow up and gain buying power. Your article kind of rebukes the concept that soccer is the second most popular sport right now, but suggests that it likely will be in the future.

I didn't make the argument that its the 2nd most popular sport, I just linked the article showing it was 2nd among that demographic.

Well, that was bad! Hard to believe the U-23's are out of the Olympics. Still cannot figure why the Olympics has such an age set-up. I don't recall other sports having an age limit...but it's not the world cup and perhaps that is why...FIFA may not have allowed a competition against the make-up of the World Cup...the greatest sporting event in the world based on attendance, TV viewership, radio audience levels, ticket sales, memorabilia sales, jersey sales, etc., etc.

U-23's SHOULD have beaten Canada and certainly El Salvador. Don't know what happened (other than the other teams scored more goals) but perhaps the make-up of this squad just never jelled...don't know, but it really is a shame, but as has been said...no real biggie in the world of soccer.

I just do not like seeing the US out of any of these international competitions....

For whatever reason, people aren't watching soccer on TV. The few matches that Fox showed on Sunday morning got good ratings, but cable tells a different story.

That is interesting. Would be curious to see what the reason is behind it.

I didn't make the argument that its the 2nd most popular sport, I just linked the article showing it was 2nd among that demographic.

Fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...

...Just as well. Might as well only be in sports we're good at and that people will actually watch. We'll still dominate like normal. Fear not.

MLS outdraws the NBA and NHL. Sorry I just killed your anti-soccer boner.

You don't suppose he might have been talking about the Olympics do you? We never win a medal in soccer while we often do dominate other events. Since we are talking about our country failing to qualify to the Oympics in soccer it doesn't have to be anti-soccer, it can just be Olympic related.