2011 University Endowments

This is an area of emphasis for UNT in it's march to Tier One status. It's an area of need and lots right now is being done to focus on just this very area. UNT should be "moving up" this ladder in the very near future...that's why ever donor and every dollar counts. It's not just the amount it's the NUMBER of donors who count as well. In the "numbers count" a $25 annual donor counts the same as a $1,000,000+ donor.

Did you know that by joining the UNT Alumni Association that you are considered a donor for Tier One purposes? Joining the Mean green Club counts as well...as does making a donation to a scholarship at UNT or a department, etc.

YOU can help...and you can help in a very meaningful manner...and you don't have to be rich to do so!

Worth thinking about.

• Upvote 2

This is an area of emphasis for UNT in it's march to Tier One status. It's an area of need and lots right now is being done to focus on just this very area. UNT should be "moving up" this ladder in the very near future...that's why ever donor and every dollar counts. It's not just the amount it's the NUMBER of donors who count as well. In the "numbers count" a $25 annual donor counts the same as a $1,000,000+ donor.

Did you know that by joining the UNT Alumni Association that you are considered a donor for Tier One purposes? Joining the Mean green Club counts as well...as does making a donation to a scholarship at UNT or a department, etc.

YOU can help...and you can help in a very meaningful manner...and you don't have to be rich to do so!

Worth thinking about.

this is incorrect

the number of donors is meaningless for "tier 1" (NRUF) funding...the only thing that matters towards the goals for NRUF funding is 400 million in endowment as one of the 6 metrics with 4 out of the 6 needed.....the total number of donors has nothing to do with it

and in the T.R.I.P donor matching incentive program that was passed as part of the HB51 that created the NRUF program it is not the number of donors that matter it is the amount of each individual donation

donations from 100,000 to 999,999 are matched 50%

donations from 1,000,000 to 1,999,999 are matched 75%

donations from 2 million up to 10 million are matched 100%

so you are correct that even 25 dollars donated specifically towards the overall university endowment will help meet one of the NRUF funding goals, but it is not based on the number of donors it is based solely on total dollar amount in the endowment being over 400 million

if you are discussing US Snooze rankings then yes total number of individual donors matters for those rankings, but the US Snooze rankings have nothing to do with the Texas NRUF funding goals

in the former UNT Strategic Plan For Research 2011-2020 the goal was to obtain NRUF funding by 2017 and it was specifically stated that 400 million in total endowment by 2017 was not feasible on page 51 and the goal for the total endowment was 215.4 million by 2020 in the chart on page 52

the new Green Light To Greatness "plan" has no specific goals or dates anywhere that I have seen and nothing as detailed as the Strategic Plan For Research 2011-2020 that was originally submitted to the THECB as required for the NRUF/T.R.I.P program ("tier 1")

so every dollar specifically donated to the endowment helps, but total number of donors does not and UNT believes they will obtain NRUF funding by 2017 without having met the 400 million endowment criteria and they believe they will be at 108.6 million in endowment in 2011, 117.6 in 2012, 172.2 in 2017 and the previously mentioned 215.4 million in 2020

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

this is incorrect

the number of donors is meaningless for "tier 1" (NRUF) funding...the only thing that matters towards the goals for NRUF funding is 400 million in endowment as one of the 6 metrics with 4 out of the 6 needed.....the total number of donors has nothing to do with it

and in the T.R.I.P donor matching incentive program that was passed as part of the HB51 that created the NRUF program it is not the number of donors that matter it is the amount of each individual donation

so you are correct that even 25 dollars donated specifically towards the overall university endowment will help meet one of the NRUF funding goals, but it is not based on the number of donors it is based solely on total dollar amount in the endowment being over 400 million

if you are discussing US Snooze rankings then yes total number of individual donors matters for those rankings, but the US Snooze rankings have nothing to do with the Texas NRUF funding goals

in the former UNT Strategic Plan For Research 2011-2020 the goal was to obtain NRUF funding by 2017 and it was specifically stated that 400 million in total endowment by 2017 was not feasible on page 51 and the goal for the total endowment was 215.4 million by 2020 in the chart on page 52

the new Green Light To Greatness "plan" has no specific goals or dates anywhere that I have seen and nothing as detailed as the Strategic Plan For Research 2011-2020 that was originally submitted to the THECB as required for the NRUF/T.R.I.P program ("tier 1")

so every dollar specifically donated to the endowment helps, but total number of donors does not and UNT believes they will obtain NRUF funding by 2017 without having met the 400 million endowment criteria and they believe they will be at 108.6 million in endowment in 2011, 117.6 in 2012, 172.2 in 2017 and the previously mentioned 215.4 million in 2020

You must be a peach at parties.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

Yourself?

Sorry, too easy.

when 2017 gets here and UNT has still failed to qualify for additional funding from the NRUF we can all entertain ourselves with another new marketing and branding campaign and then tell ourselves we are "just this close" and that we had all expected that UNT would not qualify so soon because Texas Tech, UH, UTD and probably several others had a "head start" and then when TxState is closer we can make up some excuse about that as well.....it will be GREATNESS! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

when 2017 gets here and UNT has still failed to qualify for additional funding from the NRUF we can all entertain ourselves with another new marketing and branding campaign and then tell ourselves we are "just this close" and that we had all expected that UNT would not qualify so soon because Texas Tech, UH, UTD and probably several others had a "head start" and then when TxState is closer we can make up some excuse about that as well.....it will be GREATNESS! :thumbsu:

troll

• Upvote 2

+1

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hard to say UH and Tech had a "head start" when North Texas was established in 1890, Tech 1923 and UH 1927.

Once you meet the Research Funding threshold, you only need 4 of the other 6 categories. Endowment is just one of the 6. We are going to have the 4 areas covered before we get to the research dollars needed (which are rising, just not as fast as we'd all like).

Tech and UH already had a head start on the research funding. No surprise that they reached this status first.

this is incorrect

Well, if I am incorrect about number of donors, I stand corrected, but if I am so are two members of the Texas State Legislature that were very specific in a talk before several Alumni members recently. I'll not name the two Texas Legislators here, but I was not alone in hearing these comments directly from the "horse's mouth" as they say. They both mentioned that "numbers of donors count as well as total dollars and that alumni membership numbers were very important...and that alumni memberships count as donors.

If I am incorrect then so our two of our very prominent Texas State Legislators. I have been wrong before, will be again I am sure. Appreciate your feedback. No matter the deal....numbers count and they count big in what UNT is trying to accomplish. If you want to help, join the Alumni Association, join the Mean green Club, give to your department, your college or two any of the numerous scholarships that UNT handles each and every year...every dollar and every donor counts.

While UNT has had it's share of shortcomings in the past, 5 years from now is quite a ways away. UNT is on an uptick and things are starting to be done right in Denton. I don't have any doubt we'll get to Tier 1 status at some point in the near future.

And yes numbers do count in the end. The way I look at it is if someone starts out donating even 25 bucks a year and stays connected to the university then I don't doubt that same person will increase the donation as time progresses and he/she makes financial advancements in life. I don't disagree that at the end of the day it's a whole total number these people are looking for but regardless of how you're generating donations it all makes a difference in the end.

• Upvote 1

the people I socialize with actually know what they are talking about and don't need smoke blown up their butt to be entertained

So, what avatar name do you use on another forum?? Sounds like you might fit right in over there.......

I don't doubt that KRAM might have heard a member of the legislature make that statement....that only shows how uninformed some members of the legislature are when it comes to important issues

who I am or what forums I post on does not change the validity of what I am saying and trying to figure out who I am or where I post is just laughable when the reality is what I am stating is correct

if people want to believe something that is incorrect fine by me and if members of the legislature are going around spreading misinformation to UNT alumni that will only serve to cost UNT in the long run and if they are doing that to other emerging research university alumni I am positive someone there will correct them so that donations can be properly channeled to help elevate their university to either get a T.R.I.P match or T.R.I.P and U.T.R.I.P matches and to make sure those donations help towards NRUF funding

number of donors is not a direct factor in getting NRUF funding.....only total endowment dollars over 400 million dollars is a factor....unless mean green club and or alumni association donations are specified to be placed in the university endowment they will make little if any difference unless in the case of the alumni association it is large enough to do something that will make a difference towards restricted research which is one of the other factors and that would be something like attracting a new faculty member or purchasing a piece of research equipment or outfitting a research lab and I don't believe the alumni association handles those types of donations that would be university development and as for scholarships unless they are going to attract a student that will make a meaningful difference in the "freshman class" metric (and a single student at a 36K university will make little difference) again that will play only a small part unless it goes into the university endowment....and when UNT needs 290 million more in endowment to make the 400 million dollar threshold it is going to take a lot of 25 dollar donations and even a lot of 10,000 scholarship donations to get there

is someone is mislead into believing that a 100,000 donation to be immediately spent towards building a baseball facility will make a difference in obtaining NRUF (tier 1) funding or that it will be eligible for a T.R.I.P match then they will be disappointed when they find out that athletics donations are not eligible for a T.R.I.P match and they will be disappointed to find out it will not count towards NRUF funding because it was spent immediately on an athletics facility and not placed into the endowment where it would count towards the 400 million needed

so you might contact those two representatives and correct them because they are spreading false information and apparently doing it to a large number of UNT alumni

and who I am or where I post does not change that

• Downvote 9

I don't doubt that KRAM might have heard a member of the legislature make that statement....that only shows how uninformed some members of the legislature are when it comes to important issues

who I am or what forums I post on does not change the validity of what I am saying and trying to figure out who I am or where I post is just laughable when the reality is what I am stating is correct

if people want to believe something that is incorrect fine by me and if members of the legislature are going around spreading misinformation to UNT alumni that will only serve to cost UNT in the long run and if they are doing that to other emerging research university alumni I am positive someone there will correct them so that donations can be properly channeled to help elevate their university to either get a T.R.I.P match or T.R.I.P and U.T.R.I.P matches and to make sure those donations help towards NRUF funding

number of donors is not a direct factor in getting NRUF funding.....only total endowment dollars over 400 million dollars is a factor....unless mean green club and or alumni association donations are specified to be placed in the university endowment they will make little if any difference unless in the case of the alumni association it is large enough to do something that will make a difference towards restricted research which is one of the other factors and that would be something like attracting a new faculty member or purchasing a piece of research equipment or outfitting a research lab and I don't believe the alumni association handles those types of donations that would be university development and as for scholarships unless they are going to attract a student that will make a meaningful difference in the "freshman class" metric (and a single student at a 36K university will make little difference) again that will play only a small part unless it goes into the university endowment....and when UNT needs 290 million more in endowment to make the 400 million dollar threshold it is going to take a lot of 25 dollar donations and even a lot of 10,000 scholarship donations to get there

is someone is mislead into believing that a 100,000 donation to be immediately spent towards building a baseball facility will make a difference in obtaining NRUF (tier 1) funding or that it will be eligible for a T.R.I.P match then they will be disappointed when they find out that athletics donations are not eligible for a T.R.I.P match and they will be disappointed to find out it will not count towards NRUF funding because it was spent immediately on an athletics facility and not placed into the endowment where it would count towards the 400 million needed

so you might contact those two representatives and correct them because they are spreading false information and apparently doing it to a large number of UNT alumni

and who I am or where I post does not change that

So, as Kram1 so reasonably might ask, what have you done to help?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You must be a peach at parties.

Bit of a reach there pal. People would actually have to like GL2G in order to invite him/her to a party. Ol' TodgeRodge wouldn't have time to socialize at a party (contingent on invite) anyway as he/she spends all day writing thesis length diatribes about a Univiersity that he/she hates.

I do agree with the peach part.

How feeble can a mind be if it's only joy is to go on internet football forums and trash a university out of spite?

I've never really paid attention to him, but from his posts I gather that we suck, and he wants us to know that we suck.

As for the topic, $288,000,000.00 away from Teir 1. I don't think that's going to happen in the next ten years.