Karl Benson ready to get to work on new-look Sun Belt Conference

Harry

Look, I want to make it clear that I have nothing against Texas St. or UTSA. I hope you are successful in the WAC. My position here is based soley on what is best for the University of North Texas, which doesn't include conference membership with either TSU or UTSA. Pay your dues in the WAC and maybe we will see you in 10 years in CUSA.

There won't be a WAC in a couple years.

I think it's pretty clear that the conference commissioner who invited UTSA and Texas State to the WAC will be adding them to the Sun Belt. If we get the MWCUSA invite and can climb one rung on the ladder, great.

But if not, having two more Belt schools in Texas will help us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm guessing no. You have to make them happen by putting in the work. Getting Apogee built and hiring McCarney were two steps in that direction. Actually filling the place would be a third.

And the argument would be that if you can't sell the improvements we've made in facilities, this media market, the improved and more competitively compensated coaching staff, the huge alumni base, a lot of alums in the huge market that you have to offer, then you just can't sell. And there should be consequences for that.

Who knows, by May, we may all be happily humming our way to CUSA. If we are passed over, we deserve to know every reason why.

I get the sense that many would accept getting passed over without any need for an explanation or any demand for consequences. The posts tend to support that feeling. That is a symptom of the football insecurity of which I speak.

If you never expect to get any better, you won't. Set goals, work to achieve them, and don't accept excuses.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There won't be a WAC in a couple years.

I think it's pretty clear that the conference commissioner who invited UTSA and Texas State to the WAC will be adding them to the Sun Belt. If we get the MWCUSA invite and can climb one rung on the ladder, great.

But if not, having two more Belt schools in Texas will help us.

Well, let them form a conference with the remains of the WAC after the Belt takes more established schools.

I think we all know what the new comissioner is. Like I said, can't get out of here fast enough!!!

Great, lets take in Sam Houston (whose team is better than either UTSA or TSU, and, hey, they have the HOUSTON market. It's even in their name!!), and Stephen F. Austin (what a great road trip!!). We could call it the Sunland Conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And the argument would be that if you can't sell the improvements we've made in facilities, this media market, the improved and more competitively compensated coaching staff, the huge alumni base, a lot of alums in the huge market that you have to offer, then you just can't sell. And there should be consequences for that.

Who knows, by May, we may all be happily humming our way to CUSA. If we are passed over, we deserve to know every reason why.

I get the sense that many would accept getting passed over without any need for an explanation or any demand for consequences. The posts tend to support that feeling. That is a symptom of the football insecurity of which I speak.

If you never expect to get any better, you won't. Set goals, work to achieve them, and don't accept excuses.

Most of the insecurity I see in this thread is coming from another poster who seems intent on converting us all to become honorary TSU-SM alumnus with an over-sell of his product. I think TSU-SM has a fine school as I believe the rest of you do as well as it is.

I get your point, though, UNT90, but if we get left out of this Alliance (and I really don't see it happening because of our location and their need for our TV market) I would want to have Craig Thompson come to campus (wearing his bullet proof vest and all):blink: and explain each and every reason why to a tee.

GMG!

r

This is a football board, not couples counseling. Stick to the facts and leave out the psychobabble.

Wanting to improve the Sun Belt doesn't mean you want UNT to be a member forever.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a football board, not couples counseling. Stick to the facts and leave out the psychobabble.

Wanting to improve the Sun Belt doesn't mean you want UNT to be a member forever.

When you don't hold anyone accountable for crappy athletics performance for 40 plus years, and then show no real intent on holding anyone accountable at one of the most important moments in the school's athletics history, it's not psycholbabble.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When you don't hold anyone accountable for crappy athletics performance for 40 plus years, and then show no real intent on holding anyone accountable at one of the most important moments in the school's athletics history, it's not psycholbabble.

I don't know how you get from "I think UTSA should be in the Sun Belt" to "I don't want to hold anyone accountable." One has nothing to do with the other. Try to focus.

I was in favor of firing Dodge earlier than he was fired. I don't think RV deserved a contract extension until McCarney became a proven winner.

None of that has anything to do with the Sun Belt looking at new Texas members from the dying WAC.

• Upvote 1

None of that has anything to do with the Sun Belt looking at new Texas members from the dying WAC.

First, it's not just your posts I'm talking about. Being OK with staying in the worst conference in college football and then being ok with adding FCS teams (which will make sure you are perceived as the worst conference in college football) just for a close road game and some misconception that they will boost attendance or provide a rivalry should be completely unacceptable to fans of this program.

Fans should expect inclusion into CUSA (afterall, we have done everything they asked us to do last time when we were 2nd choice) from OUR leaders. Like I said, this may be on the way to becoming a reality. But if it doesn't happen, serious questions need to be answered by our leaders.

I guess what I am trying to say is that after all that has been invested in athletics, we can't afford, and don't deserve to be a bottom feeder anymore.

If we do get stuck in the Belt, we need to take a leadership role in elevating that conference. Only established programs with history get admitted. Cherry pick from the WAC, if you like, but no 1or 2 year or provisional FBS programs.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

LOL! We have Texas State trolls now? Where are you getting your numbers and statistics? We're ahead of you in endowment dollars and yeah, your graduation rates are higher because a 4th grade reading level are all that's needed to gain entry into your school. Texas State has the WORST name in the state of Texas. "Who?" Literally. Did you switch from Southwestern Texas State to Texas State to make it seem like you were more legitimate? Bro, nobody cares about Texas State. You are the worst school in the worst conference in the FBS, you were mediocre in the FCS, you'll be pitiful in the FBS. And please, don't even compare your stadium to our stadium. You'll be lucky to get 27K in your stadium for Tech, and if you do get more, it'll be 50/50 Tech and State. Go back to your hole, you're more irrelevant than us.

• Downvote 5

Did you switch from Southwestern Texas State to Texas State to make it seem like you were more legitimate?

Of course they did. I've heard before that NT officials in the '60s or '70s wanted that name for our school.

Being able to call themselves Texas State is going to be huge for that school over time.

• Upvote 3

Of course they did. I've heard before that NT officials in the '60s or '70s wanted that name for our school.

Being able to call themselves Texas State is going to be huge for that school over time.

The biggest problem they have is being located in San Marcos and having such terrible academic standards. Oh, and shedding that party school label. Screw Texas State. UTSA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Texas State. Let SWTSU flounder. (I'll pull an SMU on them.) If SWTSU thinks they're better than us, they'll learn the hard way. They're more irrelevant than us, that's an accomplishment. They aren't even "Texas State". Officially they're "Texas State-San Marcos". You couldn't even sell out a 15K stadium last year. Who signed that lease for the 34K renovation?

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 2

The biggest problem they have is being located in San Marcos and having such terrible academic standards. Oh, and shedding that party school label. Screw Texas State. UTSA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Texas State. Let SWTSU flounder. (I'll pull an SMU on them.) If SWTSU thinks they're better than us, they'll learn the hard way. They're more irrelevant than us, that's an accomplishment. They aren't even "Texas State". Officially they're "Texas State-San Marcos". You couldn't even sell out a 15K stadium last year. Who signed that lease for the 34K renovation?

Don't know where you get your information from, but we averaged over 15,000 last year in attendance.

What are these low academic standards you speak of?

• Upvote 1

So, we're Hogwarts, UTSA is Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and Texas State is Durmstrang Institute?

Who wronged you at Texas State? Was it that wicked Larry Teis?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LOL! We have Texas State trolls now? Where are you getting your numbers and statistics? We're ahead of you in endowment dollars and yeah, your graduation rates are higher because a 4th grade reading level are all that's needed to gain entry into your school. Texas State has the WORST name in the state of Texas. "Who?" Literally. Did you switch from Southwestern Texas State to Texas State to make it seem like you were more legitimate? Bro, nobody cares about Texas State. You are the worst school in the worst conference in the FBS, you were mediocre in the FCS, you'll be pitiful in the FBS. And please, don't even compare your stadium to our stadium. You'll be lucky to get 27K in your stadium for Tech, and if you do get more, it'll be 50/50 Tech and State. Go back to your hole, you're more irrelevant than us.

um...

the endowment information was linked....TxState has had a larger endowment since 2008....they are 10% higher now at 110 million VS 100 million for UNT

the admissions requirements for UNT are 950 SAT for 16-25% of HS class ranking.....they are 930 for TxState.....1050 for second quarter at UNT 1010 for TxState......they are both 1180 for 3rd quarter

http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/future/freshman/getting-accepted.html

http://www.unt.edu/vwbk/admission.htm

those are hardly significant differences considering those are not extremely high scores and that puts UNT pretty much below UH and TxState right below UNT in the emerging research and public universities in Texas

the name TxState is a great name and it was a wise decision to make the change and many UNT fans are upset they got the name when UNT had wanted the name and been denied in the past

UTSA has a much lower admissions standard and they were near open enrollment until recently when the TAMU-K-SA campus opened and it became TAMU-SA and that will be the university to take students with lower admissions while UTSA will move towards higher selectivity and higher graduate enrollment

and isn't it hard for a school that is 36K, with 5 million plus in the metro area, and 100K+ alumni in the area, a brand new stadium, and decades in D1-A to call out a school on attendance that is in a much smaller market, with lower enrollment, and fewer alumni nearby that is just moving up to D1-A for the first time...especially when the difference is only a couple of thousand

and it is not trolling when factual information with verifiable sources is provided

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also expect UTA to announce football returning sometime this year.

Great. Make it the WACCY Southland.

Don't worry, I'm sure some of our fans will want UTA in whatever conference we end up in to have a "metroplex rivalry." :rolleyes:

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

You would have to agree though, that adding a start up and a 1AA does not improve what's already considered the worst conference in country right?

Fun road trip? Sure.

But it takes an already perceived bad conference and waters it down more...which is why we had all better be hoping with all hope that we're out of here.

• Upvote 1

You would have to agree though, that adding a start up and a 1AA does not improve what's already considered the worst conference in country right?

Fun road trip? Sure.

But it takes an already perceived bad conference and waters it down more...which is why we had all better be hoping with all hope that we're out of here.

UTSA is another USF in the making. There's no doubt in my mind it would improve the Sun Belt to have them as a member.

Texas State is a closer decision. But having them in the Belt would improve things for UNT. One more game in Texas every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

UTSA is another USF in the making. There's no doubt in my mind it would improve the Sun Belt to have them as a member.

Texas State is a closer decision. But having them in the Belt would improve things for UNT. One more game in Texas every year.

I see this so often and just don't agree. I may be proven wrong, but USF was in an different position from the outset. Their basketball was already in CUSA and had a decent following and they were able to recruit based on upcoming CUSA membership. UTSA has never had a sports following of any kind. Even now they are relying on the community to go to KFC to get tickets. Not sustainable in my opinion. If S.A. gets and stays behind the program, I will be surprised and incorrect on my assumption.

By the way, I have no ill will toward UTSA, just don't think the USF comparison will prove valid.

• Upvote 1