Vito - Thoughts On CUSA/MWC Merger

MeanGreen61

I was thinking that too. I'm wondering where the stab at Dodge is though? Missing that signature reference to the dark years...

But in all seriousness, it's time for these types of articles to be flowing from all the Denton folk!

I am waiting for the article to come out that blames Mac's stroke on Dodge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely no disrespect to UTSA, but how could a program like that be even on the same candidate list for the CUSA/MWC conference merger? Again not bashing UTSA they have done a tremendous job as of late, but when you compare it to UNT's resume and recent efforts in improving their athletics I can't understand how they are even in close competition.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely no disrespect to UTSA, but how could a program like that be even on the same candidate list for the CUSA/MWC conference merger? Again not bashing UTSA they have done a tremendous job as of late, but when you compare it to UNT's resume and recent efforts in improving their athletics I can't understand how they are even in close competition.

3 words -- Location, location, location!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So the San Antonio market is more valuable than the DFW market? Sorry for the questions I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to conferences picking schools.

I guess it depends on how/who is looking. The DFW area already has UNT-TCU-SMU, not to mention the love for the Big 12. San Antonio is somewhat an untapped market.

A few comments about UTSA:

UTSA is not a FBS university yet. They begin their transitional year in 2013 and will be a member in 2014. They haven't played an FBS opponent yet, much less a full schedule. Further, no one knows how long it will be before they have a winning season. As I understand it, the Alliance will have its members set to begin operation in 2013. UTSA should be fine in time but they are not ready for a conference where most of the members have been at the highest level for 30, 40, 50 years and up.

San Antonio is the 38th largest market. It is a good market but it is roughly 1/3 the size of the Dallas-Fort Worth market. As someone posted in another thread, TV networks are mostly looking for people. One reason is that people do not usually watch one team only. Many college football fans will watch any game telecast in the area.

UT-San Antonio should move up the ladder much faster than their counterparts. They have a veteran coach kicking off their program and San Antonio is a great destination city so they will attract a lot of roadies. They need to be careful scheduling many highly ranked teams until they can be competitive. I know that the timing stinks but UTSA is still 3-4 years away from a mid-level conference.

• Upvote 1