Update from the Middle

Harry

As for the men, the Blue Raiders made their conference record 7-0 with a win over the Red Wolves, 59-46, Thursday night at the Murphy Center.

All season, the Blue Raiders have relied on pressure defense during this winning streak. Thursday night was no different as it held the Red Wolves to 21 percent shooting from the field in the second half.

“I think Arkansas State got a little bit tired and I think our bench players contributed to that,” MTSU men’s head coach Kermit Davis said in the post game press conference.

Also, the Blue Raider bench outscored the Red Wolves 28-0 led by junior Kerry Hammonds 13 points off the bench. He nailed three key three-pointers to lead MTSU in scoring.

“The bench was a critical factor tonight like it has been in many games that we have won this season,” Davis said.

The win equals the school’s best start in school history at 18-2, which was originally set during the 1974-75 season. The Blue Raiders ended that season 23-5, and won its first ever Ohio Valley Conference regular season and tournament title. Also, MTSU made its first ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament, which it fell to Oregon State in the first round.

“It feels nice, but we are not satisfied,” MTSU junior guard Marcos Knight said after the game. “We work hard everyday. They say that if you work hard in practice, it pays off during games. We are going to continue to stay hungry and continue to work hard.”

This year’s Blue Raiders extended its winning streak to 10 in a row, and 14 out of the last 15. Member of the national media and fellow coaches around the nation are starting to take notice. In the latest ESPN/USA Today coaches’ poll that came out on Monday, the Blue Raiders are inching closer and closer to the Top 25, but not transfere there yet. Instead, MTSU is ranked in the others receiving votes category.

Read more: http://www.murfreesboropost.com/mtsu-teams-still-perfect-in-sun-belt-cms-29872

Highly overrated, but I sure as heck hope they get that ranking for when they come to the Super Pit.

I don't think they are overrated at all...They are freaking good, they destroyed Ole Miss. We have to play our very best to have a chance to beat them.

Tend to agree with glick. I don't think they're overrated, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how their fans are handling this run. Very humble, very happy, not obnoxious (so far).

If we want to get respect when we accomplish things (starting a turnaround under McCarney, the 13-2 start last year), we have to give it when our conference mates do, too (hiring Malzahn, Middle's run this year).

Tend to agree with glick. I don't think they're overrated, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how their fans are handling this run. Very humble, very happy, not obnoxious (so far).

If we want to get respect when we accomplish things (starting a turnaround under McCarney, the 13-2 start last year), we have to give it when our conference mates do, too (hiring Malzahn, Middle's run this year).

I want to wish them nothing but the best in getting an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Failing that I hope they win the NIT (as they should get an auto bid for the regular season title).

• Upvote 1

The numbers of their record are the only reason they are getting votes. I don't see them competing with top 25 teams...UCLA doesn't count in my opinion. Whether or not the rest of the Sun Belt respects us is irrelevant to me.

They beat Kentucky which is 18-2 and ranked 6th in the nation. I agree that UCLA doesn't count in part because they haven't played UCLA.

Far from overrated, best womens team in the Sun Belt since we have been in the league.

I'd rather them not , but if means we beat them in the finals I'd be all for it.... If only I could see the future

I don't know man...I think I'd trade an MTSU at large bid and marry Gus Malzahns crazy a$$ wife if it meant we beat a ranked team at home.

EDIT: Of course if we could only win one or the other, I'd pick the SBC title game. I'd love both.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I think he is saying that he doesn't consider that a top caliber win. I tend to agree.

Whether it is legit or not, there are valuable national media perceptions to be considered when Belt teams take these boys down.

You're allowed to disagree regarding Ole Miss; consider for a moment, though, what the LSU win last year meant for many fans here. I think it can be likened to that.