To Those Questioning The Love Affair For The Tight End

FirefightnRick

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

wKY's Jack Doyle, #82. 9 catches for 89 yards. He was that big bastard who kept catching and converting the third down and 5 or 6's over the middle all damn night long. They finished 9 for 16 on third down conversions. We finished 0-6.

I give huge props to their FIRST YEAR offensive coordinator Zachary Azzanni for the lesson he spooned out to us on how to use the tightend and calling an all around great game.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

wKY's Jack Doyle, #82. 9 catches for 89 yards. He was that big bastard who kept catching and converting the third down and 5 or 6's over the middle all damn night long. They finished 9 for 16 on third down conversions. We finished 0-6.

I give huge props to their FIRST YEAR offensive coordinator Zachary Azzanni for the lesson he spooned out to us on how to use the tightend and calling an all around great game.

Rick

I swear they only ran 2 plays. Rainey off tackle or throw to the TE. I guess if we can't stop either they didn't need to do anything else.

• Upvote 1

I swear they only ran 2 plays. Rainey off tackle or throw to the TE. I guess if we can't stop either they didn't need to do anything else.

Right. And I'm willing to bet there were three to four of those conversions to Doyle in which he caught the ball then had 3 to 5 yards after catch because the defender grabbed him up high around the shoulders and he drug them for the conversion?

I'd hate to be in the film room this morning.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Right. And I'm willing to bet there were three to four of those conversions to Doyle in which he caught the ball then had 3 to 5 yards after catch because the defender grabbed him up high around the shoulders and he drug them for the conversion?

I'd hate to be in the film room this morning.

Rick

He certainly wasn't juking any out of their shoes. It was arm tackles only. None of our defenders wanted to get in front of him.

jack doyle is a very good tight end.

i doubted our offense last year but things are clicking right now with it.

mitchell henry #80 is a true freshman tight end that caught a well thrown ball by jakes for a td. these guys aren't fast but they're big, have good hands, and more importantly do a good job blocking for the running game.

running up the middle and using the tight ends is old skoo and a little boring but it also is a clock eater and keeps our dee off the field.

our receiving corps is 5 freshman and a sophomore so we're somewhat locked in to the tight ends. the kid that caught the long pass is a freshman and it was his first catch of the year. he's also a converted tight end. (6'5)

I will say Power showed better hands than any of our receivers. Was kinda hoping we woulda gone to him play action on the goal line.

Yup, especially for the second try. Play action there and they would have bought it hook line and sinker because for what ever reason they seemed to know it was another dive up the middle?

Rick

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

Rick

Doyle is 1 inch taller than Power, weighs 10 pounds less and is not near as fast. Doyle has 46 receptions for 513 yards. WKU knows how to use the TE. Its not rocket science.

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

Rick

He reminds me of that big tight end for Idaho back in the mid-90's. The Vandals threw to that bruiser all night. He caught everything thrown his way and ran over anyone even thinking of tackling him. Idaho put the hurt on us that night.

Can't really complain after the last two games. Power had three catches Saturday, four the week before. I think Chico has it down.

What happens from here on out is that we've got to recruit tight ends that are receiving threats. I think we're on top of that already.

Also, I will always keep wishing for a Tulsa-like H-Back. I know we call ours a U-Back. But, I thought Tulsa was cooked with Charles Clay graduating. But, Willie Carter picked up right where Charles Clay left off.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch