Special Teams

El Paso Eagle

I know we tend to focus on the Defense and Offense improving, but after watching the replay on ESPN3 our Special teams are in need of help. We are lucky to have a great punter, but we lose a lot of that benefit with our coverage. I think this is an area where once we see improvements we will see a lot more success, especially in Belt play.

I've been nervous for a long time now when anyone's foot besides Atterberry's touches the football. Anyone else notice the consistently low trajectory on extra points? Thought he had that problem taken care of last year.

So, maybe there is truth to the rumor our coaches went to an off-season kicking clinic at the U. of Alabama :startle:

Seriously, if you haven't noticed the difference in special teams (especially kick coverage) from last year to this year, then you aren't paying attention.

Last year, extra points were an adventure.

Coverage teams are better. Return teams are unacceptable. Placekicking is still an adventure.

Is this a flashback thread to last year??

Seriously, if you haven't noticed the difference in special teams (especially kick coverage) from last year to this year, then you aren't paying attention.

Last year, extra points were an adventure.

Do not get me wrong there has been improvement, but to be honest the bar was very low. If you look at the coverage from this past weekend, there were many missed tackles and it seemed like they were a step or two away from breaking away. The more we improve the longer we make the field and the better our chances are.

Last year our kicker didn't get every other FG blocked. The FG blocking has been the worst special teams group I have seen in my entire life. Punt return is not much better. We have probably lost 300-400 yards in field position this year because we can't run under a punt and catch it. Letting a punt hit the ground is one of the worst special teams mistakes you can make, and we make it 3 times a game.

Edited by glick1980

Almost every punter MG has played against is kicking rugby style.... nearly impossible to get under and extremely dangerous to try to catch..

KO returns are down because 80 is not an unknown anymore.

The kickoff coverage is 50 50. More often than not MG coverage get a blowup shot.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Coverage teams are better. Punt Return teams are unacceptable. Placekicking is still an adventure.

Fixed.

For those who have forgotten, teams routinely returned kicks to at least their 35 yard line, many times to midfield. Aside from FIU and ULM returns, the kickoff coverage unit is routinely getting stops at the 20-30 yard line, which I don't think we did one time last year. Hyperbol, but you get my point.

We don't have anyone on this team that can return punts. We know this because we keep running Chancellor out there when he has proven that he can't do the job.

Ay least extra points are a given in the field goal unit department. Other than that, about the same as last year.

Edited by UNT90

Fixed.

For those who have forgotten, teams routinely returned kicks to at least their 35 yard line, many times to midfield. Aside from FIU and ULM returns, the kickoff coverage unit is routinely getting stops at the 20-30 yard line, which I don't think we did one time last year. Hyperbol, but you get my point.

We don't have anyone on this team that can return punts. We know this because we keep running Chancellor out there when he has proven that he can't do the job.

Ay least extra points are a given in the field goal unit department. Other than that, about the same as last year.

The problems with our punt return unit do not lie primarily with Chancellor. How many times has he even had a chance to make a return?

The problems with our punt return unit do not lie primarily with Chancellor. How many times has he even had a chance to make a return?

Not bashing Breland. He has been great on kick returns and has really emerged as a receiver, but punt returning just isn't his strong suit.

I'm just glad that all we have to gripe about is the punt return unit. ;)

Not bashing Breland. He has been great on kick returns and has really emerged as a receiver, but punt returning just isn't his strong suit.

I'm just glad that all we have to gripe about is the punt return unit. ;)

Hey, glad to see your positive take on our season at this point. I'm now doubling down on the green koolaid. Compared to where we were, 4 wins is a big turnaround. Next up, beat someone who is having a very big turnaround, WKU.

Edited by eulessismore

Fixed.

Not sure what you "fixed". UNT is last in the conference in punt returns and kickoff returns. UNT is #119 in PR, and #111 in KO returns in the country.

To me, last in the conference in any category is unacceptable. When your KO return average is less than 19 yards, it's better to take the touchback. I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by LongJim

Not sure what you "fixed". UNT is last in the conference in punt returns and kickoff returns. UNT is #119 in PR, and #111 in KO returns in the country.

To me, last in the conference in any category is unacceptable. When your KO return average is less than 19 yards, it's better to take the touchback. I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

BUT, we are not allowing long kick and punt returns (for the most part), giving our defense a fighting chance to make stops. It's slowly improving, but it is MILES ahead of last year, when every special teams unit was in the crapper.

On another subject, have you made those GMG.com payments for our bet on Ohio St. and Miami? :P

Care to go again on Penn St.? Although I think I'm gonna have to hold out for the death penalty on this one.

BUT, we are not allowing long kick and punt returns (for the most part), giving our defense a fighting chance to make stops.

What part of "Coverage teams are better." did you not understand, 90? :P

On another subject, have you made those GMG.com payments for our bet on Ohio St. and Miami? :P

Thanks for the reminder, and the answer is yes. B)

Care to go again on Penn St.? Although I think I'm gonna have to hold out for the death penalty on this one.

NCAA won't do anything. The students will hold a candlelight vigil and sing sad songs and weep for the children and emote about how Penn State will rise above the tragedy, and there will be a lot of finger-pointing and head-rolling. There may be huge legal consequences, but the NCAA won't do much.