Good Realignment Article by Arkstfan

Harry

If reports are correct, Big East has invited three C-USA teams, two MWC teams, and Navy to join. With the departure of West Virginia the Big East likely extends one more invite and the likely candidates are probably Army, Navy, BYU, and East Carolina.

Assuming the Big East avoids C-USA for that last slot, C-USA is down to 9 schools. If C-USA operates in a logical manner, they would invite one school, probably North Texas to get back to 10 and to keep UTEP in the fold by continuing to give them access to the DFW area.

If C-USA panics they add three, probably adding FAU and FIU to the mix.

Read More:

http://www.arkst.com/?p=1492#more-1492

This post has been promoted to an article

That sounds like a pretty realistic scenario. I don't know that I necessarily agree with his assessment of UTEP:

MWC probably makes a play for UTEP but if UTEP talk the past few years about how essential it is to play in Houston and Dallas is true, they have no incentive to accept.

I don't think UTEP likes playing in DFW and Houston so much as playing against the old Southwest Conference teams. In that regard, I don't think UTEP would see UNT as an adequate replacement for UH and SMU.

That sounds like a pretty realistic scenario. I don't know that I necessarily agree with his assessment of UTEP:

I don't think UTEP likes playing in DFW and Houston so much as playing against the old Southwest Conference teams. In that regard, I don't think UTEP would see UNT as an adequate replacement for UH and SMU.

I think that UTEP likes to play games in Dallas and Houston so their alumni in those areas can see them. I also think it helps them in recruiting those areas. My guess would be that UTEP without Boise and Air Force would stick with CUSA but I could be wrong.

I think that UTEP likes to play games in Dallas and Houston so their alumni in those areas can see them. I also think it helps them in recruiting those areas.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but I think the quotes from UTEP's president that ArkStFan was alluding to had more to do with the specific schools in C-USA.

• Upvote 1

Let UTEP go to the MWC and CUSA pick up La Tech. 5 hours difference in driving time and not a huge difference in competitiveness or name recognition. both are 4-4 right now.

There is a big difference between La Tech and UTEP. UTEP is in a much better market and has a much better BB program that is always at the top of CUSA. I am also pretty sure that UTEP's attendance smashs la tech.

• Upvote 1

I think they are close enough to the Shreveport market just like we are "in" the DFW market and with the Monroe/Ruston/ El Dorado market makes them that much better. Plus Utep is way out there they would be a better fit for MWC.... and gambling

But in all honestly I don't care as long as we move out of the SB.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think they are close enough to the Shreveport market just like we are "in" the DFW market and with the Monroe/Ruston/ El Dorado market makes them that much better. Plus Utep is way out there they would be a better fit for MWC.... and gambling

From City-Data.com:

TV broadcast stations around Ruston:

• KARD (Channel 14; WEST MONROE, LA; Owner: QUORUM OF LOUISIANA LICENSE, LLC)
  • KAQY (Channel 11; COLUMBIA, LA; Owner: MONROE BROADCASTING, INC.)
  • KNOE-TV (Channel 8; MONROE, LA; Owner: NOE CORP., LLC)
  • KLTM-TV (Channel 13; MONROE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION AUTHORITY)
  • KTVE (Channel 10; EL DORADO, AR; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF MONROE/EL DORADO LICENSE LLC)
  • KMCT-TV (Channel 39; WEST MONROE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA CHRISTIAN B/CASTING, INC.)
  • KMNO-LP (Channel 22; MONROE, LA; Owner: GREAT OAKS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
  • KWMS-LP (Channel 17; WEST MONROE, LA; Owner: SONRISE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)

Oddly enough matches some info on StationIndex.com

(7) KNOE ID: "KNOE TV 8"

City: Monroe, LA

Owner: NOE Corp.

Web Site: http://www.knoe.com/

Station Info: Digital Full-Power

(27) KTVE ID: "Region 10"

City: El Dorado, AR

Owner: Piedmont Television

Web Site: http://www.region10.com/

(57) KAQY ID: "ABC 11"

City: Columbia, LA

Owner: Monroe Broadcasting

Web Site: http://www.abc-11.com/

12 KETZ ID: "AETN"

Owner: Arkansas Educational Television

Web Site: http://www.aetn.org/

Station Info: Digital Educational Full-Power

(19) KLTM ID: "LPB"

City: Monroe, LA

Owner: Louisiana Public Broadcasting

Web Site: http://www.lpb.org/

Station Info: Digital Educational Full-Power

(36) KARD ID: "FOX 14"

City: West Monroe, LA

Owner: Nexstar

Web Site: http://www.kard.com/

Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 1000 kW

(38) KMCT Religious City: West Monroe, LA

Owner: Louisiana Christian Broadcasting

43 KEJB ID: "My 43"

Owner: KM Communications

Web Site: http://www.kejb.com/

Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 1000 kW

49 KKYK This TV City: Camden, AR

Owner: Hallmark National Mortgage Corporation

None of those stations list Shreveport as where they broadcast from. :rolleyes:

Does that mean that no one in Shreveport watches LA. Tech? do you think it is comparable to how many people watch UNT in Dallas.

The DFW media market is many times larger than Shreveport and Monroe combined, so even if we got 21,000 to 53,000 people to watch a North Texas game in Dallas, I'd say we're doing quite well.

Also, El Paso gets no market credit for anything south of the border. If Juarez counted the way every other non-border city gets credit for territorial population... El Paso would be somewhere between market 24-26... Between Pittsburgh and Charlotte.

If "market" is the consideration, El Paso is a much BBD than Northern Louisiana.

Why is anyone comparing UTEP and La Tech? UTEP is already in CUSA, does someone think they are going to kick them out for La Tech or anyone else. Or is this some conjecture on UTEP leaving for MWC, something they might very well do if offered but don't see much relevance to the discussion who gets offers to CUSA at this time.

As far as preference making the big assumption NT gets a bid and CUSA replaces two in the Western Division. It is very possible that CUSA could move USM to the West and add two teams to the East. My preference would be that they would add ULL over La Tech or UTSA, even though that would give CUSA two teams in S. Louisiana.

Why is anyone comparing UTEP and La Tech? UTEP is already in CUSA, does someone think they are going to kick them out for La Tech or anyone else. Or is this some conjecture on UTEP leaving for MWC, something they might very well do if offered but don't see much relevance to the discussion who gets offers to CUSA at this time.

As far as preference making the big assumption NT gets a bid and CUSA replaces two in the Western Division. It is very possible that CUSA could move USM to the West and add two teams to the East. My preference would be that they would add ULL over La Tech or UTSA, even though that would give CUSA two teams in S. Louisiana.

It appears that some of the UTEP fans would prefer staying in CUSA a couple even mentioning UNT as an incentive to do so: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=527280

This is "old" news. The realignment theory is based on what the Big East was trying to do before they lost West Virgina.

The Big East wanted Army & Navy first, but Army says they don't want to be in a conference, which is what is keeping Navy on the fence. Any theory that has Army coming along as second thought fill in, doesn't understand their situation.

Yes the 12th spot in CUSA was between UTEP vs. UNT vs. LA Tach.

Yes UNT has done more to improve their overall program since then, but that doesn't mean that will be the same criteria CUSA is looking at for future expansion.

There still one great unknown...if the NCAA will allow 16+ team associations to have multiple post-season games.

If the NCAA says yes, CUSA & the MWC will want to get to 12 each to have a semi-final championship bracket. If NCAA says no, it makes sense for each "division" to stay at 10 each.

I think they are close enough to the Shreveport market just like we are "in" the DFW market and with the Monroe/Ruston/ El Dorado market makes them that much better.

No, if you look at any map Denton is in the DFW ADI/DMA. And maps show Ruston is in the Monroe/Ruston/El Dorado market. Getting a TV or radio station only at night or with an extra high antenna does not count. Sherman is "close" to the DFW market, but is a part of the Sherman/Ada/Ardmore market.

TV markets are not hand grenades - close does not count!

• Upvote 1

Pfft.

I worked in Shreveport from Aug 2010 to April 2011 and I made a conscious effort to keep up with how much Tech stuff I saw. If there are any supporters in Shreveport damn few of them care enough to buy a bumper sticker, car flag, magnet or license plate. I see more Arkansas State stuff each day in Little Rock than I saw Tech in a week in Shreveport and I've got a shorter drive to work in Little Rock than I had from where I lived in Bossier.

I don't claim ASU has a great presence in Little Rock, in fact I complain frequently about the poor TV and newspaper coverage but it's still better than the coverage Tech gets in Shreveport.

Ruston is 50 miles closer to Shreveport than Jonesboro is to Little Rock but you would guess the opposite driving around Shreveport and Little Rock.

This is "old" news. The realignment theory is based on what the Big East was trying to do before they lost West Virgina.

The Big East wanted Army & Navy first, but Army says they don't want to be in a conference, which is what is keeping Navy on the fence. Any theory that has Army coming along as second thought fill in, doesn't understand their situation.

Yes the 12th spot in CUSA was between UTEP vs. UNT vs. LA Tach.

Yes UNT has done more to improve their overall program since then, but that doesn't mean that will be the same criteria CUSA is looking at for future expansion.

There still one great unknown...if the NCAA will allow 16+ team associations to have multiple post-season games.

If the NCAA says yes, CUSA & the MWC will want to get to 12 each to have a semi-final championship bracket. If NCAA says no, it makes sense for each "division" to stay at 10 each.

Any plan based on the NCAA approving more games is a bad plan. They are giving serious consideration to cutting the regular season in football back to 11 games and have given a do not pass recommendation for conferences without a title game to have a inter-conference title game (vote hasn't been taken that I've seen).

The Alliance is simply the stupidest idea ever put forth. If it goes forward in the manner they have suggested CUSA and MWC lose their seats on the NCAA Board of Directors and each "division" has to play a full round robin within the division to get a title game without having to apply for a waiver.

I suspect a large part of their idea was to use the "it's a new conference" argument to tear up their TV contracts and start over but C-USA's is only a few months old and they've just lost their three largest TV markets and MWC has just lost their two biggest national brands.

• Upvote 1