No front four

Harry

We really need some defensive linemen. Other than that proud of the the defense. Thompson disappointing but against a great d.

Thompson needs to quit throwing off his back foot. I understand when you have someone in your face, but he does it all the time

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 2

Again, we have what we have: Our starting QB had offers from us and Eastern New Mexico.

I and you - we - have to accept what is on this roster right now. It's very difficult to do. This thing was low when Dickey left. But, I can see now that it was gutted the past four years.

I count Dunbar and Chancellor as two of the very, very few hits Dodge & Co. had in recruiting. If you watch other schools around the country, you have to realize it.

At this point, I feel that if McCarney & Co. pulls out four or five wins, they're miracle workers.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

NT has played "three" .....undefeated..... teams to begin the year.

Who would have thought that FIU would be 3 - 0. FIU may go undefeated this year. They are big, strong, and well coached. UH & Alabama .... well what can ya say other than they are just really good with a great deal of talent.

It would be difficult to really judge the true talent that NT has based on the first three games against FIU, UH, and Alabama.

We all want Coach Mac to do well only because NT does not want to become known as the graveyard of college coaches and be known as the NMSU of Texas.

I agree. Our front seven are so small that our rush defense and pass rush are below average at best. Although! I think we got to the qb and hurried some decisions more than our previous games, some of the blitzes were getting through tonight. Go figure.

Yes, we were out manned on both sides of the ball. But, compared to 2009, the mindset of the team/defense was night and day different (give credit to Mac & Canales for playing to win)! It was obvious that the defense was playing much more aggressive, showing Bama different looks, disguising coverages and moving guys around. We had at least 3 three and outs against their first team O. McCarron was knocked down, hurried and hit numerous times. We had success late in the game also which showed we never quit. That is very encouraging!! Yes they hit some quick strike/big running plays on us but there were numerous times that I felt we were playing with them step for step and I could tell Saban was some kind of pissed. Pretty sure Saban gave his guys an earful at halftime and they will be punished early this week. The veins in his neck were bulging on the sidelines. Overall, a great character, confidence building game that we hopefully did not sustain any serious injuries!!

• Upvote 4

SIDE NOTE RE: Praising our defense-

I was happy to see the three and outs versus the Bama first team. That's one of the things I was looking for.

What I want to bring up is the final play of the OU-Florida State game. OU's linebacker pressured FSU's QB into making a bad throw that ultimately was the real last play of the game (OU took over on downs and took a knee three times).

As that LB was coming off the field, OU's DC/LB coach Brent Venables stopped him and started yelling at him, pointing to the field, and gesturing to the kid what he could have done better on the play. It looked like he wasn't happy with the angle the kid took on the play despite the fact that his pressure forced a bad throw anyway.

Why do I bring this up? Some mentioned Saban not being happy at points despite his team thrashing us. This all leads to a point I've made in the past: Great coaches are not satisfied with just getting by.

Saban, Venables, any of the great head coaches or assistants, they never seem to be happy. They are always looking for teaching points. They understand that if they do not demand technically sound play, their players will develop bad habits.

Venables' point to the kid was probably that a more experienced QB (FSU was playing a freshman at that point because the starter had been injured in the third quarter) could have beaten his angle.

The bottom line is, we can be happy our defense did some nice things against Alabama. But, let's hope our coaches are staying in their ears and not just writing the game off as "we were going to lose anyway, so thanks for fighting for four quarters."

Again, fighting is for boxers. Technically sound football is for football players and teams. Let's hope our coaches are instilling the discipline that other great coaches around the country demand of their squads.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Fact, NT has played three good teams including maybe the best in the country. Making wholesale comparisons based on the first three games versus prior years is a bit foolish at this point. I don't know anyone who thought NT would win any of those games. Although I believed that the Houston and FIU games would have been closer, the record is exactly what most predicted. The most important factor to me is the team is getting better and they have shown a lot of fight in the last two games.

I thought the offensive line play against Alabama was promising. No sacks and I didn't expect many holes against that defense. Dunbar hasn't excelled but I don't detect any changes in his running style, that hesitation and direction change that looked so futile against Alabama worked well against lesser opponents. I really can't point out any units that are good based on their play in the first three games. QB, offensive line, receivers and running back have all looked bad. I am not sure how you would rate them. The same is true for the defense. There have been some individual players that have had their moments such as Atterberry, Orr and Chancellor but overall the team is just not there yet.

The team is not going to face any team this year that is remotely close to Alabama. Right now I am not sure the Green can beat any team in the Belt but if they keep improving I think they can compete with all of them. I still marvel how everyone is so quick to criticize Dodge's recruits and expect some substantial upgrade from McCarney which there is currently little evidence of that occurring. McCarney and staff are huge improvements and I think that will be illustrated on the field this year, but that is going to come from coaching not talent upgrades.

• Upvote 1

I like the improvement that the defense has showed week to week. I expect a breakout performance by the offense next week and to witness the first home victory since WKU 2 years ago and turning around an abysmal 1-16 home record since the start of the 2008 season (my first as a season ticket holder).

Here we go again...After a dismal performance by our offence people choose to blame the D-line. If you keep putting them out there without the offence making a first down, that’s what you get....A BEAT DOWN AND TIRED LINE. By the way we faced a formidable offence. …Running backs and wide receivers, ready for the league. I’m tired of seeing uniforms on defensive players looking very dirty and those on players on offense looking like they just got on the field. We have a Bentley in the back field and we can't get him in a position to be successful…that sucks! Our play calling stinks...It is Dodge era-ish

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't think I've ever seen him step into a throw. EVERY THROW is off his back foot falling away.

I've noticed this as well as him getting happy feet a lot against Houston. I thought in the early part of the game against Alabama he was doing better stepping into throws until he got hit. Then he seemed to want to just get rid of it, and the back foot thing may be him trying to stay away from the rush, kind of backing up to clear space before he throws so he doesn't get smacked.

I'd agree with Slugg and LongJim. The d-line had couple of sacks, forced a fumble in the game had some 3 and outs, stopped them in the two minute drill, but the offense did nothing the entire 1st half. That gets the defense a pass in my book.

I agree, I only wish we had not given Alabama a new record first time they had two running backs run for over a 150 yards each in one game.

I'd agree with Slugg and LongJim. The d-line had couple of sacks, forced a fumble in the game had some 3 and outs, stopped them in the two minute drill, but the offense did nothing the entire 1st half. That gets the defense a pass in my book.

I was trying and failing to be snarky.

The OL could not run when it absolutely had to. The DL could not stop the run when it absolutely had to. These deficiencies escalate and magnify each other due to factors such as fatigue, field position, and score. OL can't stay on the field. DL can't get off of it.

Probability was high that this would eventually happen. It's nobody's "fault". It was the #2 team in the nation. UNT is well-coached and will improve quickly. Better to let this game go.

Edited by LongJim

For four years, emphasis was on recruiting skill players. It seemed linemen, both off. and def., were an after thought. It will take awhile to overcome the lack of depth in these areas.Look for the staff to go the JC route to try to shore up these areas quickly.

It would be difficult to really judge the true talent that NT has based on the first three games against FIU, UH, and Alabama.

No, it's actually quite easy to judge the true talent we have, based exactly on these three games.

If we want to be an Alabama, a UH... or even just an FIU, we know we have a lot of work to do. We'd like to get back to the days of winning the Belt, but that alone isn't enough. We didn't build that stadium to go back to 2001-2004. We built that stadium and brought in McCarney to one day be able to square off against the UH's of the world, playing competitve games against the Alabama's of the world, and to be favored against the FIU's of the world.

• Upvote 1

No, it's actually quite easy to judge the true talent we have, based exactly on these three games.

If we want to be an Alabama, a UH... or even just an FIU, we know we have a lot of work to do. We'd like to get back to the days of winning the Belt, but that alone isn't enough. We didn't build that stadium to go back to 2001-2004. We built that stadium and brought in McCarney to one day be able to square off against the UH's of the world, playing competitve games against the Alabama's of the world, and to be favored against the FIU's of the world.

I agree with you that that level of play should be our goal, but considering we have not won more than 3 games since 2004, I am 100% satisfied to just see a step forward this year (hopefully to 4 wins or more), especially considering we have a very young team. I can't wait for this Saturday!

• Upvote 1