Apogee Stadium vs. Ford Stadium vs. Robertson Stadium

GreenGuy123

Here are my rankings (I am biased, but honest)

1. Apogee Stadium (Do I really need to explain why?)

2. Ford Stadium (Nice stadium, but it doesn't feel like a college football game when you are there...maybe if it was packed)

3. Robertson Stadium (Palm Trees? Please...they should just blow smog into the stadium to give it a real Houston touch)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like Apogee because it it ours. I have always said Ford Stadium is the nicest small stadium in America. There new locker room will also be a plus with recruits. But, where do Athletes LIVe, TRAIN, and PLAY all within one complex. The attention to detail at Apogee is incredible. I like our new baby the best!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ford is a very nice stadium. However, Apogee is better in every way that I can think of. Apogee is more open, which allows for a breeze when it's 100 degrees. The concourse is open as well, which aside from keeping you from burning up when going to a concession stand, doesn't make you feel like you are a pack of sardines. Apogee is easily expandable. Apogee has 2 crystal clear video boards. The acoustics are tremendous. When the crowd cheers, it creates a home field advantage. I've been to some SMU games, and I never felt that same advantage when at an SMU game. Maybe its because I was never there rooting for SMU, maybe it's just cause I don't want to feel it. Either way, I didnt. Apogee has not one, but two fan stores inside the stadium. It can be seen from the highway. Actually, 2 of them. The area around Ford is very pretty. Actually, the whole SMU campus is very pretty, but it is slightly secluded from the highway. Apogee is easily expandable. Also, it has the feel of many big and small stadiums with one end of the facility housing the "field house". That, to me adds flare.

I think that both schools have a stadium they can be very proud of. The biggest diffrence is the parking and tailgating amenities. Ford has no parking. You must park either north of campus in University park, or south in Highland Park. There are a few obscure parking lots on campus, but good luck getting to them. Tailgating? Forget it. They have a nice little scene on the Boulevard, but it is one small area. Are you ready for the kicker? I hear that you have to pay $750 to tailgate. let me restate that. You have to pay $750 per GAME to tailgate. Apogee has several parking lots on stadium property. You can tailgate at your car. If you want to take your gear, you can tailgate on the grass right outside the stadium. If you have a parking pass, you can park and tailgate right there.

Bttom line, both stadiums are very nice, but Apogee has Ford beat in amenties, parking, atmoshpere, and giving the home field advantage.

Ok, so I do like Ford's seats. They have backs.

Ford is a very nice stadium. However, Apogee is better in every way that I can think of. Apogee is more open, which allows for a breeze when it's 100 degrees. The concourse is open as well, which aside from keeping you from burning up when going to a concession stand, doesn't make you feel like you are a pack of sardines. Apogee is easily expandable. Apogee has 2 crystal clear video boards. The acoustics are tremendous. When the crowd cheers, it creates a home field advantage. I've been to some SMU games, and I never felt that same advantage when at an SMU game. Maybe its because I was never there rooting for SMU, maybe it's just cause I don't want to feel it. Either way, I didnt. Apogee has not one, but two fan stores inside the stadium. It can be seen from the highway. Actually, 2 of them. The area around Ford is very pretty. Actually, the whole SMU campus is very pretty, but it is slightly secluded from the highway. Apogee is easily expandable. Also, it has the feel of many big and small stadiums with one end of the facility housing the "field house". That, to me adds flare.

I think that both schools have a stadium they can be very proud of. The biggest diffrence is the parking and tailgating amenities. Ford has no parking. You must park either north of campus in University park, or south in Highland Park. There are a few obscure parking lots on campus, but good luck getting to them. Tailgating? Forget it. They have a nice little scene on the Boulevard, but it is one small area. Are you ready for the kicker? I hear that you have to pay $750 to tailgate. let me restate that. You have to pay $750 per GAME to tailgate. Apogee has several parking lots on stadium property. You can tailgate at your car. If you want to take your gear, you can tailgate on the grass right outside the stadium. If you have a parking pass, you can park and tailgate right there.

Bttom line, both stadiums are very nice, but Apogee has Ford beat in amenties, parking, atmoshpere, and giving the home field advantage.

Ok, so I do like Ford's seats. They have backs.

wrong on the tailgating cost...everything else is spot on

SMUt site

Ford Stadium:

The biggest plus they have with Ford is its classic horse shoe look. I do prefer this look over Apogee even though the winged end zone looks great in person... Now, this stadium's amenities pale in comparison to Apogee. Parking was a pain(when I was there for the UNT game). And, he atmosphere wasn't very rowdy... then again, they were terrible, and we were terrible. I'm sure this had something to do with that.

When I was there, I remember thinking that their stadium was excellent, and at the time, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Apogee Stadium:

I've been a couple of times to look around prior to the opener, and it still dazzled me on the first day. Lets start with the look. It is obviously a bit more unconventional, but this does give us a uniqueness that is pretty cool. The winged endzone really does look cool in person inside the stadium(I hope to see this filled soon...that will look even better).

The amenities are FAR superior to Ford(concourse on the alumni side, tons of concessions, gear shops, almost too many bathrooms)... Just nice. Plus the stadium is surrounded by parking and tailgating areas. The layout is better than I have ever seen around a college stadium. All the areas available to park and tailgate were far superior to stadiums that are in the middle of dense buildings etc... We have so much room for more tailgating and more attendance... and we were almost full in the opener(almost is disappointing, but when you consider the product right now, attendance should go up, right?)

The traffic flow in and out could use some work. I bet that this will be addressed in the next year or so with the bridge and maybe some road expansion projects... We could easily accommodate more people right now though...you know, give that we had the demand and increased the seating capacity in the stadjum.

Robertson Stadium:

abstain, never been there. When I watched the UCLA at UH game on TV, the atmosphere looked pretty enthusiastic and appeared to be loud. I hope we have our stadium busting at the seems like it appeared they did...but then again, if we had one of the, if not the best mid-major football team with a top 5 QB in the country, I would expect we would also be busting at the seams and rowdy when hosting a beatable UCLA team. Hopefully we can achieve this in the next couple of years...

Robertson is a true erector set stadium. It almost looks unstable in places. The crowd is on top of the field, so I would assume it can be loud and rowdy. Not in a good part of town, but it is on campus, so I would think tailgating is fine, but not near the setting of Apogee. I haven't attended a game there, but have driven by there a number of times. The neighborhood is just scary around there.

Ford has no parking. You must park either north of campus in University park, or south in Highland Park. There are a few obscure parking lots on campus, but good luck getting to them.

The last time I went to a game at Ford (2 years ago), they had free "overflow" parking on the other side of the highway. Maybe a little longer walk than from Fouts to Apogee, but an easier walk in my opinion without the hills and better sidewalks. I made the walk after the game, but you don't have to because they have free shuttle service to and from the lot which I used before the game. Very convenient.

Robertson is a true erector set stadium. It almost looks unstable in places.

I've heard Robertson called plenty of things, often quite bad, but I've never heard of it called an erector set. What is your definition of an "erector set stadium"?

When I think erector set stadiums I think UCF's Bright House Stadium. No concrete anywhere. It is often called the Bounce House because the stands bounce when the students jump up and down. They actually had to do an engineering study to make sure it was sound because there was so much concern about the stadium motion.

UCF_Football_Stadium_2.jpg

UCF_Football_Stadium_4.jpg

UCF_Football_Stadium_1.jpg

Here's Robertson including a photo of the original construction. Plenty of concrete everywhere.

3864258174_8752a5e8ff.jpg

interior.jpg

Houston Dynamo game

5-28-2011dynamovsdallas_gamepics_0017.JPG

Original construction (we've made several upgrades since 1994)

robertsonstadium_2.jpg

Really?? How do expect this board to rank these? That's like asking to rank your kids against the neighborhood kids. Everyone is going to be just a bit biased.

But Ok, I'll play your reindeer game. From the bottom up:

I've often heard of Fouts referred to as a high school stadium but Robertson actually WAS a high school stadium. It was built by the Houston ISD. As constructed Fouts and Robertson were nearly identical. Today's Rob is what Fout's would have been if we decided to lower the field and expand the stadium. THANK GOD we didn't go that route.

Ford is a partial erector set. The lower bowl is below grade and based on concrete but the upper bowl is metal decking and seats surrounded by a brick facade. I like that Ford has ALL the seats with chairbacks, something I wish we had done. SMU has great tailgating on the boulevard but prime spots cost $ and space is limited. The parking at SMU is terrible. At Apogee at least there is SOME parking close to the stadium.

Apogee is ours so I like it best. i.e., my kids are better than your kids.

Apogee>Ford>Robertson

Edited by Baby Arm!

The last time I went to a game at Ford (2 years ago), they had free "overflow" parking on the other side of the highway. Maybe a little longer walk than from Fouts to Apogee, but an easier walk in my opinion without the hills and better sidewalks. I made the walk after the game, but you don't have to because they have free shuttle service to and from the lot which I used before the game. Very convenient.

Interesting. I didn't venture north of 35, nor did I get a sense for the walk required... I have heard it was about 10 minutes. But nobody every mentioned difficulty due to hills or bad sidewalks... As long as it is not 107, a walk doesn't really bother me...but then again, if it is 107, I'm not sure there is any relief at all except for air conditioning and my couch...

I'm hopeful that the bridge project(3.5 Million already approved) and some additional road improvements will make this a more pleasant walking experience from over 35. Time will tell here.

I always try to walk around the tailgating area to soak in the atmosphere when I am a visiting fan. How was your overall experience doing this?

I've often heard of Fouts referred to as a high school stadium but Robertson actually WAS a high school stadium. It was built by the Houston ISD. As constructed Fouts and Robertson were nearly identical. Today's Rob is what Fout's would have been if we decided to lower the field and expand the stadium. THANK GOD we didn't go that route.

I hate the whole "Robertson is a high school stadium" thing. It was also home for the Houston Oilers and hosted 2 AFL championships. Why don't you call it a pro football stadium? It's also home of the Houston Dynamo. Why not call it a pro soccer stadium?

When it was built as a high school stadium, it only seated 14.5K. It was expanded to 35k when it hosted the Oilers. Hardly the same stadium.

That's all part of it's history so to only look at the high school part of its history is really skewing the story.

I hate the whole "Robertson is a high school stadium" thing. It was also home for the Houston Oilers and hosted 2 AFL championships. Why don't you call it a pro football stadium? It's also home of the Houston Dynamo. Why not call it a pro soccer stadium?

When it was built as a high school stadium, it only seated 14.5K. It was expanded to 35k when it hosted the Oilers. Hardly the same stadium.

That's all part of it's history so to only look at the high school part of its history is really skewing the story.

When Houston gets the go ahead on their new stadium, where is it going to be?

Interesting. I didn't venture north of 35, nor did I get a sense for the walk required... I have heard it was about 10 minutes. But nobody every mentioned difficulty due to hills or bad sidewalks... As long as it is not 107, a walk doesn't really bother me...but then again, if it is 107, I'm not sure there is any relief at all except for air conditioning and my couch...

I'm hopeful that the bridge project(3.5 Million already approved) and some additional road improvements will make this a more pleasant walking experience from over 35. Time will tell here.

I always try to walk around the tailgating area to soak in the atmosphere when I am a visiting fan. How was your overall experience doing this?

I had no problem with the walk, just saying SMU's walk was easier.

Walking to the stadium from Fouts over the bridge and up the hill to the student side of the stadium wasn't much of an issue. I too checked out most of the tailgating areas all around the stadium. I walked around and entered the stadium on the Bonnie Brae side.

The walk back was a little more interesting. Leaving the stadium on the Bonnie Brae side, I went through the open field to the highway service road. Not the best idea. In the dark, the unimproved hill and walking on the side of the service road wasn't the best idea. I was following other groups of people so it wasn't like I was exploring a path by myself. I can easily see someone blowing out an ankle or knee trying that.

My advice, stick to the roads and sidewalks and avoid the service road, and all is well. I think the pedestrian bridge and associated paths will help. I also think that's one of the quirks of first time at the stadium. Learn the best ways to go and ways not to go and the experience just gets better.

• Upvote 1

Whoa, sensetive much? Must have touched a nerve there huh? My point was that while Fouts wasn't built as a high school stadium it was often referred to as such. While Robertson actually was built for and by the HISD. I didn't say Rob IS a high school stadium, I said WAS.

Whoa, sensetive much? Must have touched a nerve there huh? My point was that while Fouts wasn't built as a high school stadium it was often referred to as such. While Robertson actually was built for and by the HISD. I didn't say Rob IS a high school stadium, I said WAS.

Trust me, plenty of people who enjoy putting down UH say it IS a high school stadium pointing out only that point in history.

My first Houston Oiler football game was in Jeppesen Stadium aka Robertrson Stadium. Back then the Oilers had these names on their team: George Blanda, Billy Cannon, Charlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar, Charles Frazier, Don Floyd, Sid Blanks, Mac Haik, etc, etc, etc...No, none of that group in the NFL Hall of Fame but Blanda should be on their list.

Let's let UH start & finish their new stadium and then get back to this survey albeit I know these are mostly for fun.

Ford versus Apogee? IMHO, Apogee just has that more college football stadium look as I think of college football stadiums. SMU's entire oval stadium makes it look small to me. It they double decked one side then it would look more like a big time college football stadium IMO.

If you're gonna be a season ticket holder at Apogee, why would you not pay the nominal price for the seatback? Those things do pretty nice.

At the time I didn't know how nice they would be, or how much, as I was struggling to pay for the tickets and MGC membership as it was. Plus, I prefer to stand whenever possible.

At the time I didn't know how nice they would be, or how much, as I was struggling to pay for the tickets and MGC membership as it was. Plus, I prefer to stand whenever possible.

That's a fair enough answer. I was shocked at how inexpensive they were, and was fortunate enough to see them on display in the athletic department over the summer. I'm sure I would love to stand if I still had knees, but alas, I likes my sitting these days.