Spoke with Coach Leonard

Good change of topic. My wild guess is that the starting lineup will be stocked with the more experienced players but will be changed quickly. Jones at pg, Franklin and A. Williams at the wings and Hogans and Holmen in the frontcourt. Then it will settle at Jones, Franklin, J. Williams, Patton and Hogans. Even wilder guess at tournament time: Jones, J. Williams, T. Mitchhell, Patton and Robinson.

Wow, I like Robinson's outlook, but a freshman starter by tournament time? Bold.

Edited by MeanMag

Robinson deadly from 3 pt. range. He won the 3 point shooting contest in his last All Star game playing some of the best players in the states. No just 3A players which some have consider a knock on him saying "he hasn't played against better players because 3A". A 6'10" 3pt shooter? This is why a bunch of Big 6 schools recruited him hard out of HS. Baylor was one that comes to mind, but many more.

It will be nice to see how Robinson plays once he gets in the weight room.

Go Mean Green!!!

Robinson deadly from 3 pt. range. He won the 3 point shooting contest in his last All Star game playing some of the best players in the states. No just 3A players which some have consider a knock on him saying "he hasn't played against better players because 3A". A 6'10" 3pt shooter? This is why a bunch of Big 6 schools recruited him hard out of HS. Baylor was one that comes to mind, but many more.

Go Mean Green!!!

I wish I had gotten the chance to see him play in something other than an All-Star game. Not the best venue as no one plays defense.

If he could put on 20 to 30 pounds and maintain his shooting touch, he could be a beast.

Edited by UNT90

Go Mean Green!!!

Which all star game did he win a 3 pt. contest at?

Hope this works. I'm not good at posting links in threads. Robinson seems to know he has work to do. His comments seem to be down to earth and realistic. Doesn't sound like some "full of themselves", sounds like he just wants to contribute and play well at the next level. JJ seems to recruit a lot of kids with this attitude for the most part.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/jul/25/easlands-robinson-helps-lead-north-to-victory-in/

Go Mean Green!!!!

Here's a list of all the school's Forest Robinson had offer's from. No way in the past could UNT compete with these school's for recruits, and JJ is winning. UNT basketball has come a long way indeed!!!!

North Texas COMMITTED (10/23/2010) Offered None

Arkansas None Offered None

Centenary None Offered None

Houston None Offered None

Iowa State None Offered None

Louisiana Tech None Offered None

Oklahoma State None Offered None

Southern Methodist None Offered None

Texas Tech None Offered 10/15/2010

USC None Offered None

Utah None Offered None

Virginia

I'm going to throw my guess in, too.

JJ doesn't generally like to start freshmen and he hesitates to start JUCO newcomers. Witness Howerton starting over Tramiel, Tristan seeing minimal early season minutes behind Dennis/Willingham/McCoy, among other examples. Even Josh White only started as a 2 guard, not at the point.

Hogans is an obvious starter. I think, given their previous D1 experience, Patton and Franklin both play as 2/3 hybrids. JJ hasn't been as reluctant to throw guys coming from other D1s (Colin Dennis, Odufuwa) right out on the floor as starters. That leaves point guard and the second post up for grabs.

Post looks like it'll be Holmen or Edwards. Even Tramiel didn't start right away as a JUCO transfer, and Stojilkovic seems like more of a roleplayer sub type than a starting option. I really like Edwards, especially after last year's SBC tournament. If he's healthy, I hope it's him. But JJ has shown a soft spot for Holmen, even at times when he seemed lost or made poor decisions. Gotta figure Holmen starts.

I really, really don't think we're going to see a true freshman starting as our point guard. I think it'll be Chris Jones starting there by the time we get back from Loyola Marymount, if not sooner... But I don't think we start the season with a freshman there.

That means either Alzee or Brandan Walton. I wish we knew how Alzee was doing in rehabbing his injury. I'll guess Walton. If Walton isn't starting off the top, I don't like what that says about how much he'll be contributing at the end of the year.

Hogans

Holmen

Patton

Franklin

Walton

There's my best guess.

Hope this works. I'm not good at posting links in threads. Robinson seems to know he has work to do. His comments seem to be down to earth and realistic. Doesn't sound like some "full of themselves", sounds like he just wants to contribute and play well at the next level. JJ seems to recruit a lot of kids with this attitude for the most part.

http://www.reportern...-to-victory-in/

Go Mean Green!!!!

Robinson's quote from this very article: "The competition was like a whole new level," he said. "These guys, every last one of them can play. The practices were very physical. I've got a lot of respect for these guys. They're good teammates, good people to be around, good relationships.

"It lets you know what you need to work on, what your weaknesses are and how you need to improve your strengths to get better. It lets you know that high school is over. It's a grown man's game now."

From the mouths of babes. Everyone needs to keep this in mind when this team struggles early, which it will. A lot of these guys are seeing competition the likes they have never seen before. Forrest was speaking of an All-Star game of high school seniors. Imagine when these guys are going up against 21 and 22 year old upper classmen night after night.

We are all excited, but let's just keep the challenge ahead in a little bit of perspective.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to throw my guess in, too.

JJ doesn't generally like to start freshmen and he hesitates to start JUCO newcomers. Witness Howerton starting over Tramiel, Tristan seeing minimal early season minutes behind Dennis/Willingham/McCoy, among other examples. Even Josh White only started as a 2 guard, not at the point.

Hogans is an obvious starter. I think, given their previous D1 experience, Patton and Franklin both play as 2/3 hybrids. JJ hasn't been as reluctant to throw guys coming from other D1s (Colin Dennis, Odufuwa) right out on the floor as starters. That leaves point guard and the second post up for grabs.

Post looks like it'll be Holmen or Edwards. Even Tramiel didn't start right away as a JUCO transfer, and Stojilkovic seems like more of a roleplayer sub type than a starting option. I really like Edwards, especially after last year's SBC tournament. If he's healthy, I hope it's him. But JJ has shown a soft spot for Holmen, even at times when he seemed lost or made poor decisions. Gotta figure Holmen starts.

I really, really don't think we're going to see a true freshman starting as our point guard. I think it'll be Chris Jones starting there by the time we get back from Loyola Marymount, if not sooner... But I don't think we start the season with a freshman there.

That means either Alzee or Brandan Walton. I wish we knew how Alzee was doing in rehabbing his injury. I'll guess Walton. If Walton isn't starting off the top, I don't like what that says about how much he'll be contributing at the end of the year.

Hogans

Holmen

Patton

Franklin

Walton

There's my best guess.

Pretty good guess. The only thing is, I don't think JJ has ever been in this situation before. I think you may see Chris Jones start from day one if JJ believes he is the future point guard of this team. Either way, it is going to be a really interesting season to watch.

I guess we will just have to wait until the 2 deep is released. :huh:

Edited by UNT90

I think everyone plays in the first 2 games and I would not read anything into it. JJ needs to establish an 8 man rotation soon after that with pressure to win @ Tech and UTA.

He has to compete @ Miss. St & UT. I think the question should be who starts against Tech? (a must win game)

Anyway, I believe he will start the guys who has hussled the most in practice:

Chris Jones

Alzee Williams

Roger Franklin

Kendric Hogans

?

Since JJ has never been in this situation, I think that it's anyone's guess on the starters. I hate to follow Cooley but here's mine...

1 Chris Jones - I don't see enough competition there

2 Brandon Walton - Shoots 3's pretty well and some experience beyond high school. I think that A Williams doesn't shoot well enough but he is likely our best defender and that could get him a start

3 Jordan Williams - Just a hunch that Williams scoring might win over Franklin's all-around play

4 Justin Patton - Proven at the Div. I level...just not here

5 Kedrick Hogans - Returning proven veteran

I agree with Cooley that he'll play everyone in the first two or three games. especially if we're ahead

Edited by GrayEagle

If you get some newcomers, either from JUCO or incoming frosh, that are experiencing an upgrade in competition, what typically transitions smoother: a good defender or a good shooter?

I ask this in response to the implication that a Jordan Williams (and the assumed good offense) will get the nod over Franklin's all-around play.

I don't know much about what Jordan brings to the table offensively, but I would be skeptical about it being enough to trump Franklin until I see them both in action wearing Mean Green unis. Especially given our current makeup (lack of D1 experience) and needs (defense, hustle). What does JJ traditionally prefer?

Edited by greenminer

1 Chris Jones - I don't see enough competition there

I disagree. Anyone who watched Alzee play before his injury, knows his game is pretty fluid and can distribute when needed. I don't see Alzee as much of a shooter, but if he can collapse defenses and pass, he won't need to.

Chris is, in my mind, behind a healthy Alzee at this point. (I haven't seen any game/practices).

Among other questions about the team, a big question mark is, how has Alzee recovered?

Well since this thread has taken a decidedly improved direction...I'll weigh in my best guess:

1. Alzee Williams

2. Chris Jones

3. Jacob Holmen

4. Justin Patton

5. Kedrick Hogans

My thoughts are that JJ brings Chris Jones along in a very similar manner to how he handled Josh (and similarly, I bet he handles Jordan Williams a bit like Tristan Thompson)...both were scoring point guards in high school and both may well need time to adjust to being both scorers and distributors at the college level.

Alzee has showed the ability to effectively run the point in stretches as a freshman...the year off, I'm hoping, has him now fully acclimated to the college game and he will be comfortable and confident on the ball for extended stretches...slashing, his strength, when need be, guarding the opponent 1,2 or 3 and masking a bit what was his glaring weakness as a frosh, his jump shot.

Up front, I'm not a Holmen fan, but I think the versatility of he and Patton being basically interchangeable at the 3-4 will cause match-up issues...and while Hogans exudes max-effort every trip, he has yet to prove himself a a consistent enough rebounder (3.7rpg in 10-11). Patton pulled 7.1 a night last season, playing the year at either the 3 or 4 for Grambling.

Also, while Hogans may well have beefed up in the off-season, 6'7" 235 is not a legit D-1 center. I think the added length of Patton and Holmen up front will help ease the lack of girth.