The allegations at Miami are so outrageous. The more I read about this and the fact that this happened while already on probation as a repeat violator, the more I think Miami deserves a ban. And not just a one-year ban. I think something along the lines of a 3-year ban, plus 2 years of limited scholarships will send a message to the entire system - clean it up.

If this situation isn't "deserving" of the death penalty... then I can't imagine what it would take to impose one.

A Non AQ school committing anything similiar would net the death penalty. What better way to seperate the haves from the have nots than by eliminating their program and hiding behind major rules violations.

Pat Forde on ESPN makes the case in a big way for Miami getting the Death Penalty, but also points out (like me) they very well could be sued if it's dropped.

http://espn.go.com/c...g-death-penalty

Fine, then let them sue. As a member of the NCAA, these schools have an obligation to follow the rules. If Miami fails to follow the rules, then the issue is between ESPN and Miami. Miami failed to follow the rules to ensure their eligibility to play and be on TV.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The NCAA is talking like it will hit Miami hard . . . for real this time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-miami_violations_statute_of_limitations_081811

The NCAA informed University of Miami administrators it will consider invoking its “willful violators” clause and make an exception to the traditional four-year statute of limitations in the Nevin Shapiro case, a university source told Yahoo! Sports.

Traditionally, the NCAA’s bylaws would only allow it to sanction the Hurricanes for infractions that occurred during the four years prior to receiving a letter of inquiry from investigators. . . .

Applied to the Shapiro allegations, it means the NCAA could reach as far back to early 2002, when the booster said he began funneling benefits to Hurricanes players. And if the probe stretched back to 2002, it would overlap with Miami’s two-year probationary period from the baseball program, which was leveled from February 2003 to February 2005. That could potentially tag the Hurricanes athletic program with a “repeat violator” label and make the school further susceptible to the NCAA’s so-called death penalty. . . .

. . . NCAA president Mark Emmert said that despite the penalty being used only once before in college football – against Southern Methodist University in 1987 – the association isn’t shying away from such a drastic sanction.

“We need to make sure that we’ve got, for the committee on infractions, all the tools they need to create those kinds of deterrents,” Emmert told USA Today. “If that includes the death penalty, I’m fine with that.”

You're out of your damn mind if you think the NCAA is gonna throw the death penalty at Miami. When the NCAA threw it at SMU they thought it would have only taken 5-10 years to get back on track, but it's over 25 years since the death penalty and SMU is just a mediocre university. And you're also an f*cking idiot if you think Miami's the only one doing this kind of $hit. College sports is all about winning and nothing else, by any means necessary. The adults should be the ones held more responsible than the students.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

You're out of your damn mind if you think the NCAA is gonna throw the death penalty at Miami. When the NCAA threw it at SMU they thought it would have only taken 5-10 years to get back on track, but it's over 25 years since the death penalty and SMU is just a mediocre university. And you're also an f*cking idiot if you think Miami's the only one doing this kind of $hit. College sports is all about winning and nothing else, by any means necessary. The adults should be the ones held more responsible than the students.

uh, did you actually graduate from Miami?

• Upvote 1

---SMU wasn't all that great at anything ... except when they were cheating.

• Upvote 1

Negative.

Looks kinda cheesey to go on a hardcore fan board (we have no T-Shirt fan.. yet?) and start throwing out mad props to a school that you have never even seen in person. I'll give you a break on this because of your age and the fact that you have yet to pick a college after CC. But let me share a story:

September 2003 - Norman, Oklahoma - outside the gates of OU stadium talking to 3 guys dressed in OU gear with good natured trash talk about who will win. One of the OU guys then rats out one of the others. The guy, fully dressed head-to-toe in OU gear is a UNT grad. OU grad school? No. OU law? No. Just a complete Dbag who showed up to root against his Alma Mater because being a fan of a winner was more important than loyalty. COMPLETE DBAG!!

Whatever school you end up at, enjoy live sports that that school offers. Build a real connection with real people at your school.

OR, be a complete Dbag. Your choice.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

Looks kinda cheesey to go on a hardcore fan board (we have no T-Shirt fan.. yet?) and start throwing out mad props to a school that you have never even seen in person. I'll give you a break on this because of your age and the fact that you have yet to pick a college after CC. But let me share a story:

September 2003 - Norman, Oklahoma - outside the gates of OU stadium talking to 3 guys dressed in OU gear with good natured trash talk about who will win. One of the OU guys then rats out one of the others. The guy, fully dressed head-to-toe in OU gear is a UNT grad. OU grad school? No. OU law? No. Just a complete Dbag who showed up to root against his Alma Mater because being a fan of a winner was more important than loyalty. COMPLETE DBAG!!

Whatever school you end up at, enjoy live sports that that school offers. Build a real connection with real people at your school.

OR, be a complete Dbag. Your choice.

Maybe he's a DFW local who used to enjoy a trip to the "White House" with Michael Irvin and Russell Maryland back in the day?

Maybe he's Anthony Reddick and has taken to swinging words rather than his helmet?

Maybe he's Gino Torretta (I've 5:1 odds this guy hasn't even heard that name) and has nothing better to do?

Or...yeah...maybe he's a complete DBag.

• Upvote 1

You're still here? Why should the adults be held more responsible than the students? By law, the students, over 18 years old, are adults. They know there are consequences to their actions. Nobody had ever heard of Miami until Jimmy arrived and started buying players. Miami's so bad, that their style is now hurting schools like North Carolina since Butch Davis learned under the tutelage of Jimmy.

You're still here? Why should the adults be held more responsible than the students? By law, the students, over 18 years old, are adults. They know there are consequences to their actions. Nobody had ever heard of Miami until Jimmy arrived and started buying players. Miami's so bad, that their style is now hurting schools like North Carolina since Butch Davis learned under the tutelage of Jimmy.

I know how to make him go away.

LET'S ALL PAY ATTENTION TO HIM!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not entirely true. A current Sunbelt coach is who first put Miami on the map.

• Upvote 1

Ok, but I think I;m gonna need a little more on this one. Should we go death penalty you win, non-death penalty I win? Thoughts?

And, of course, proceeds to the board... In about 2018.

Well, they're not going to get the death penalty. How about we make it simple: 4 year TV ban for Miami, or you win the bet? Any other penalties superfluous?

Well, they're not going to get the death penalty. How about we make it simple: 4 year TV ban for Miami, or you win the bet? Any other penalties superfluous?

You got it.

what we should do is put this $20 in a money market account. Even though they are earning less than 1% annually, we wil probably double the money by the time the penalties are assessed.