The Biggest UNT Donation Ever!

UNTLifer

OK, so I am back from the announcement, and as I was shamed into doing, I have turned on the computer to report. Yes, indeed the gift is $22,000,000.00 to be split between the Colleges of Music, Engineering and Business. I posted a bit more about this in the UNT News thread.

The interesting thing was that the announcement was handled via teleconference from Thailand where Mr. Charn Uswachoke spoke. The Dean of the School of Music was also present with Charn in Thailand for the event (Mr. Uswachoke actually prefers to be called simply Charn...and he was referred to simply as Charn the entire evening.

A high point for me came when Charn spoke about it being time for others to also start supporting UNT in its quest to become a major Tier One International University.

Representatives from The Alumni Association, the Board of Regents (past and present), the Athletic department (RV, Cooper, Matt), development and various other administrative and academic areas were well represented.

It was a great evening in Denton (morning in Thailand) and an even better look at the future of the greatness of what UNT is and will become. This donation is a pivotal moment in the history of UNT...history was indeed made!

Edit: Waiting to see if a certain poster "man's up" or shows to be "all hat and no cattle".

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This is a great month for North Texas and I could not be more proud of our school!

The College of Music really needs this gift and I know Dean Scott will put this to good use. 10 million is a great deal of money but other schools have benefited from similar gifts. Rice University received 8 million in 1950 and let it grow until 1975 when they finally opened their school of music! Yale University's school of music recently received a gift of 100 million which has enabled them to eliminate tuition for all music majors. Yale's Dean is a North Texas graduate (twice) by the way.

Video of the announcement.

Thank you, Sir!