Darius Carey Dismissed

as fans who paid for his ship we should know what he did to violate it. it would also set the tone to recruits and their parents about what coach mac expects in the classroom or off campus from his players.

I think we're all just as curious as you are, but this is not sound logic. Not everyone who reads this board are MGC members either.

Best of luck to Darius. Time to move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Getting yourself kicked off a team is the same as quitting.

Adios Darius.

We don't need quitters.

Carey must have used bad judgement in order to get kicked off the team, but I wouldn't call the young man a quitter. I will always be grateful for the wonderful plays he made for North Texas, and I wish him the best with his life. I hope he learns from this moment and becomes a better young man for it. I'm sure McCarney feels the same way.

• Upvote 3

I think we're all just as curious as you are, but this is not sound logic. Not everyone who reads this board are MGC members either.

Best of luck to Darius. Time to move on.

This is a very good point. +1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Chancellor was a game changer on special teams. We will need him to be a game changer at WR this season too.

My exact thoughts and I fully expect him to step up and produce. He has the talent and ability, just needs a little time running routes with Thompson.

as fans who paid for his ship we should know what he did to violate it. it would also set the tone to recruits and their parents about what coach mac expects in the classroom or off campus from his players.

Good Programs use discretion. He violated team rules. That's the explanation.

Dismissing your returning leading receiver, a sr, set's a tone throughout the program that reverberates all the way to each recruit and their parents and potential recruits.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We're going to find out in a hurry what kind of coaching staff we have. Do we have one that will make excuses? Or, do we have one that takes lemons and makes lemonade?

Personally, if the offense is ticking along, I don't see how Carey's 37 or so catches from a year ago aren't replaced. The 3-star tight end, and the 6-5ish receiver signed in February should be able to help make up.

With or without Carey, though, the truth about the 2011 offense remains the same as before - will the OL coach be able to get his young charges to create enough holes to make Dunbar the constant threat that will force defenses to commit a safety to play up to stop the run, thereby opening up the pass game a little more?

You've got to look back and see how McCarney did it at Iowa State. He had 2,000+ yard rushers. This is a coach who will let a tailback take the ball 30-40 times a game and win ugly.

I really don't give a flying fark how it's done, as long as we start winning. A team isn't made of one player. These are a different breed of coaches than we've seen at anytime since Hayden Fry was here. And, I still say this is the Belt, and the climb from the bottom isn't steep.

As Howard Schnellenberger has famously said, "The only variable now is time." Damn right, Howard! Sun Belt...get ready for your beatings! Uglyball is back in Denton to wear your asses out one rush at a time on offense, one hard hit after another on defense, and a vicious, relentless, and efficient special teams to knock your dicks fully in the dirt when the clock hits four zeroes!

Adios, Carey. One player does not a team make.

KA-TANGA!

• Upvote 4

Back in 1997, we had to dismiss a player from the high school team I coached for MIP.

I explained to him that one of two things were happening:

1) He couldn't quit drinking had therefore had a drinking problem that needed to be addressed or 2) He was VERY selfish and put his wants/needs ahead of the team.

Either way, he had to go.

A violation of team rules severe enough to warrant a dismissal kinda falls along with the logic I used back then.

He needs to solve whatever the problem is, but either way, he needs to be gone.

We're going to find out in a hurry what kind of coaching staff we have. Do we have one that will make excuses? Or, do we have one that takes lemons and makes lemonade?

Personally, if the offense is ticking along, I don't see how Carey's 37 or so catches from a year ago aren't replaced. The 3-star tight end, and the 6-5ish receiver signed in February should be able to help make up.

With or without Carey, though, the truth about the 2011 offense remains the same as before - will the OL coach be able to get his young charges to create enough holes to make Dunbar the constant threat that will force defenses to commit a safety to play up to stop the run, thereby opening up the pass game a little more?

Agreed and a better explanation than I attempted earlier.

You've got to look back and see how McCarney did it at Iowa State. He had 2,000+ yard rushers. This is a coach who will let a tailback take the ball 30-40 times a game and win ugly.

I really don't give a flying fark how it's done, as long as we start winning. A team isn't made of one player. These are a different breed of coaches than we've seen at anytime since Hayden Fry was here. And, I still say this is the Belt, and the climb from the bottom isn't steep.

As Howard Schnellenberger has famously said, "The only variable now is time." Damn right, Howard! Sun Belt...get ready for your beatings! Uglyball is back in Denton to wear your asses out one rush at a time on offense, one hard hit after another on defense, and a vicious, relentless, and efficient special teams to knock your dicks fully in the dirt when the clock hits four zeroes!

Adios, Carey. One player does not a team make.

KA-TANGA!

Counting on a true freshman to not only start, but produce the numbers Carey did last year is a recipe for disaster. Maybe the answer is on the roster, maybe it isn't. But this isn't the answer. Losing Carey will hurt this team, no if, ands, or buts about it.

As for everything you said about the coaching staff, I hope (and think) you are right. Coaching can overcome a lot in this conference, which is why I am still hanging onto hope for a 5 win season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And the MCG members don't even give enough to cover the player's scholarships. So there is that.

Interesting concept, but I don't think it's the current MGC members who don't "care enough" to cover the scholarships. They ARE donating and they ARE doing what they can to help cover the costs of scholarships. What is needed is for a lot of the folks who are not MGC members and who do not donate to step up and help as best they can. It's not on the backs of the current members who are helping. It's on those who are not!

• Upvote 3