See What Happens When You Talk Up The Green...

meanJewGreen

I was at a networker tonight with a guy who said he was from Iowa. Said he went to Iowa State. Told him I went to UNT and said you know who our new coach is right???

He said "yeah, McCarney. Nice guy. If it werent for our damn kicker he'd still be here. "

THen he goes "I need to check out UNT next season, interested to see what McCarney can do."

Told him I'd email him a schedule.

All about word of mouth gentleman/ladies. All we need to do is everyone on this board bring one new fan per game.

A plus 1 can't equal telling you I agree! Thanks!

Excellent...just excellent. This is what everyone needs to be doing. Talking positively about the Mean Green to everyone (even if you have some personal challenges with the program) will, indeed, help to win people and the press over, one person, one reporter at a time. If the loyal members of the Mean Green Nation don't make it a rule to speak in positive terms when out in the general public, well, then who will?

Way to go...nice job!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's easier now that we have an equal commitment from UNT. I've wanted to wear UNT gear in public, to work, etc. forever, but it just wasn't worth the agony. It wasn't so much ridicule, as it was the questions/comments like, "Don't you guys have that high school coach?", "Ya'll are Division II, right?", etc.

The facilities will be a BIG help in this area. I expect to get more comments like, "Yeah, I drove through Denton a few weeks ago and man that stadjum looks great!" Andi if not, I can still say to those who question our status with, "Have you seen the new stadjum?".

Bottom line though, is W-Ls. If coach Mac gets us winning again, along with the other positives, it'll be tons easier to chat up UNT.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

At my office, I am a well known Mean Green fan. I certainly take lots of crap for it, but I still have UNT stuff in my cube and wear some apparel when appropriate. It is all about persistence.

I'm sporting the Mean Green up here in northern Iowa... :P

It's a good conversation starter for sure. Hawk fans remember the Hayden Fry connection, so i'm sure with Mac down there now you will have more than one Iowan (me) following the progress.

• Upvote 7

I'm sporting the Mean Green up here in northern Iowa... :P

It's a good conversation starter for sure. Hawk fans remember the Hayden Fry connection, so i'm sure with Mac down there now you will have more than one Iowan (me) following the progress.

Are you making a game down here this year?

Are you making a game down here this year?

I'm certainly going to try. This looks like it's going to get real fun for you guys real soon. I had such a good time witnessing the remarkable turnaround Mac orchestrated at I-State - I want to live it again :P The optimism you guys have now is catchy, and not unwarranted. I remember the feeling well. Seriously... good stuff.

Anyway, we have away games the following weekends (so i won't have a game in Ames):

9/17 at UConn

10/8 at Baylor

10/15 at Missouri

10/29 at Texas Tech

11/12 at Oklahoma

11/26 at Kansas State

When will your schedule get finalized. I'd be able to get down to a game on any of these weekends.

And, guess what happens when you teach at the University of Arkansas....even my students give he heck....especially when I give away my U of A tickets and then attend a UNT football game....it's always GREEN in my office! GO MEAN GREEN

My eldest son and daughter-in-law are U of A graduates and currently live in Fayetteville and my middle son is a Jr. at UNT so my loyalties are somewhat divided, especially being a life long Hogs fan but, I do my best to talk up both schools. I was at the Fouts finale and plan on being at the Houston game for the opener this fall. I want great things to happen with the program and I think the pieces are in place to do so. WPS & GMG!!!

My eldest son and daughter-in-law are U of A graduates and currently live in Fayetteville and my middle son is a Jr. at UNT so my loyalties are somewhat divided, especially being a life long Hogs fan but, I do my best to talk up both schools. I was at the Fouts finale and plan on being at the Houston game for the opener this fall. I want great things to happen with the program and I think the pieces are in place to do so. WPS & GMG!!!

I live in Bentonville area now....just moved up here...hoping to spread the mean green to arkansas. my dad lives here and is a Hog fan, he is trying to turn me into one but it wont happen! :sword:

As a 2-time alumn and former employee, my closet is full of Mean Green gear - especially T-shirts. It is kind of a running joke with my colleagues that I always have one on. In fact, the few times I haven't worn something UNT people actually noticed and asked where my Mean Green shirt is.

UNT is well represented in Honduras. In fact, my facebook profile photo is me wearing a Mean Green claw t-shirt sitting on top of a Mayan pyramid with my wife.

My master plan is to get all the taxi drivers in the tourist towns here to put UNT bumper stickers on their cars.

Just as long as the Hondurans don't think they can replace the Mexians, everything will be OK.