College Football Epl-Style Table

Then let's do away with conferences!!!

My proposal is a 120 team un-conference. The English Premier League (as well as most foreign soccer leagues) is a 20 team table...no conferences or divisions or leagues...just 20 teams duking it out...and at the end of the season the 3 worst teams (right now West Ham, Wolverhampton and Wigan Athletic) are relegated to the next lower division, the League Championship, while the 3 best from the ELC are promoted to the Premier Leage (2 automatically, while seeds 3-6 are involved in a playoff for the 3rd promotion spot).

Under my proposal, the FBS is the equivalent of the premier League...FCS to the ELC...and then continue the pattern down to DII and DIII...hell, with a string of great seasons, eventually maybe Abilene Christian could make the Rose Bowl!

Now there are some wholes in my plan...first there is no way we could play 119 football games, so we would still need to involve the polls and other subjective metrics to determine rank...this would probably necessitate a playoff at the bottom to determine relegation...which I was thinking should, as 120 is 6 times 20, be 18 teams relegated each season (6x3). Perhaps 6, 5-team round robin games from the bottom 30, with the top 2 from each round robin avoiding relegation. This would take some of the subjectivity out of the relegation process.

This is just a working model, and I would love some feed back to hone this idea and weed out some of the inefficiencies.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only thing I dislike about the EPL, is that there is no playoff. I like having a post season tourney that makes for a all-on-the-line, no-holds-barred kinda game where you win everything with a win and lose everything with a loss.

Well, no a no holds barred kinda game because that would mean anything goes.

side note: I would love the NBA to have something like the EPL plus playoff.

Edited by Travis

The only thing I dislike about the EPL, is that there is no playoff. I like having a post season tourney that makes for a all-on-the-line, no-holds-barred kinda game where you win everything with a win and lose everything with a loss.

That's what the Champions League and FA Cup are for.

The FA Cup is my kind of playoffs. Every team in British soccer, from the top all the way down to beer leagues, is eligible to win it.

Edited by rcade

That's what the Champions League and FA Cup are for.

The FA Cup is my kind of playoffs. Every team in British soccer, from the top all the way down to beer leagues, is eligible to win it.

But there is not something just for the EPL. I would hate to have games against NCTC or The Colorado School of Mines.

Every major conf has a minor conf below it.

Pac 10 - MWC

Big 12 - Belt

SEC - CUSA

Big 10 - MAC

ACC - Big E

At the end of the year the top team in the lower conf moves up and the bottom team in the Major moves down.

Would take a little restructuring among the lower conf's to make sense of it, swap out some teams to make more regional sense.

Pac 10 - MWC

Big 12 - CUSA

SEC - Belt

Big 10 - MAC

ACC - Big E

At the end of the year the top team in the lower conf moves up and the bottom team in the Major moves down.

Would take a little restructuring among the lower conf's to make sense of it, swap out some teams to make more regional sense.

• Upvote 1

Pac 10 - MWC

Big 12 - CUSA

SEC - Belt

Big 10 - MAC

ACC - Big E

now you're on to something! I love it.

scheduling would be a nightmare... rivalries would be lost...

debates would still be had... and at a much more potent level, over money lost from basic tv contracts...

tv contracts would be a nightmare in the first place (who gets paid what?)...

not even mentioning scholarship differences/other NCAA regulations that have the potential to change from year to year...

i say we go to a 60 team D-1 level, with six 10-team conferences, have a 6 team playoff among division winners and have play in games every 5 years to weed out the bottom 6 teams over that time span with the top 6 teams from a D-2 level of the same format

in the end there are just too many teams in college football to crown a true national champion

Keep the divisons as they are (FBS, FCS, DII, etc).

Have the top 25 teams plus an elite 15 (a fictional top 40 teams total) as determined by the poll system (for a while anyway) and force them to schedule games with each other, except for one token game with a bottom 80 team.

The remaining 80 schedule games with each other only, except for one game with a top 40 team

Keep the bowl game system and the fictitious BCS championship (for a while anyway)

After every two years, drop the bottom six of the top 40 and promote the top six of the bottom 80.

It will force teams that "have" to play similar teams instead of cream-puff schedules.

Thoughts?