The Wac Lives To See Another Day

YouCanUseaMint

I know y'all are sick and tired of WAC news, but there has been some speculation that the conference would lose its auto bid.. News from the NCAA meeting states the WAC will retain its bid

At long last, some welcome good news for the Western Athletic Conference.

Proposal 2010-100 was adopted Thursday by the NCAA’s Legislative Council, which will allow the WAC to remain an FBS/Division I league as it is currently composed. Provided, of course, it doesn’t continue to hemmorage members, which likely will remain a concern for the forseeable future.

But for now, the league can at least breath a little bit easier after the contunity clause that required conferences to maintain a core membership of six schools for at least five years was abolished. In its place, conferences must have “seven active Division I members” – all of which sponsor men’s basketball, and six that sponsor at least five other sports, including football.

So if the WAC can retain its impending lineup of UTSA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, San Jose State and Denver (men’s basketball), it will retain its valuable automatic NCAA tournament berths, perhaps the biggest key to its future survival.

“It was tailored so it wouldn’t disenfranchise anyone,” said Steve Mallonee, a member of the legislative council and the NCAA’s managing director of academic and membership affairs. “Everybody currently meets the requirements. (The WAC) is taking steps to add members. Let’s hope they’re successful and they can continue on.”

• Downvote 1

I know y'all are sick and tired of WAC news, but there has been some speculation that the conference would lose its auto bid.. News from the NCAA meeting states the WAC will retain its bid

Great news for WAC and I think good for college sports. With realignment talk never ending we could see schools really getting hurt by schools leaving. This also gives the WAC sometime to actually rebuild the conference. I don't think they could ever get La-La and UNT to join but we've seen stranger things.

Benson better hope the MWC doesn't come calling for USU.

It looks like that clause already takes that possibility into consideration. With the current membership, they have eight teams, seven of which play football. The clause requires only seven teams to remain a FBS conference, provided that 6 of those teams play football. If USU bolts for MWC, they would still meet the minimum criteria.

It looks like that clause already takes that possibility into consideration. With the current membership, they have eight teams, seven of which play football. The clause requires only seven teams to remain a FBS conference, provided that 6 of those teams play football. If USU bolts for MWC, they would still meet the minimum criteria.

But is that really living?

Plus, there is a 2 year grace period allowed to get members if we do fall under the required amount.

But is that really living?

I guess that depends on the perspective. I'm sure TSU and UTSA are ecstatic with the news, but it's still a crap conference and should be easily considered the worst FBS football conference. The schools who have been there for a while (La Tech, USU, Idaho and NMSU) would be gone tomorrow if any other FBS conference extended an invite. You could probably say the same for any of the football schools, including TSU and UTSA. No one really desires to be in the WAC long term. Still, I could see one team benefiting from the weak WAC (which I'll go ahead and nickname the WeAC) with a winning record, year after year, simply because they'll play a WeAC schedule.

With that said, don't be surprised to hear Benson come knocking yet again

Benson is the guy who got all the "Let's just be Friends" rejection notes in middle school. He never could take a hint.

Dear Karl Benson. We think you're a super cool guy and all. We love having a seat next to you in 4th period history. But we already have a boyfriend. We think that you will make some girl REALLY lucky, but we're just aren't a good match. I think we are better as friends. Boyfriends and Girlfriends come out go, but friends are forever.

Love,

UNT

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

With this development, and with the big names hired at programs down I-35 making the move in 2012, would it be advantageous for UNT to consider following suit? Just want to hear some opinions.

The ONLY reason TX ST and UTSA are joining the WAC is because that is the ONLY chance they have to move to FBS ball. The ONLY reason the WAC is inviting them is because it would cease to be a conference without them. They are losing bowls rapidly. Even according to their commissioner, their TV contract will pay LESS than the SBCs contract. San Jose State is STILL faced with the state of California potentially insisting they drop football - according to new Governor Jerry Brown ALL options are on the table and SUBSTANTIAL and PAINFUL cuts will be made. Then there is the proven problem of no publicity because of the late game times.

There is a reason that every school that CAN get out of the WAC has. USU and San Jose State both have tried and will continue to try.

• Upvote 2

Good post VideoEagle. I would also add, Benson is not only trying to save the WAC, but he's trying to save his own job.

I don't think Benson is a bad guy, but he is caught in a terrible job. He can only do what the President's tell him to do, but catches all the blame for their bad decisions. Rumor that many hear also heard was that when Benson called LAST time about NT joining the WAC, he knew in advance they would probably say no. He took the time on the phone to ask the SBC office to gauge interest in the Belt taking in both La Tech and NMSU if the WAC collapsed or even if they just wanted to jump off the burning platform. What I didn't hear was the answer he got. While just a "rumor," I tend to believe it happened although all the WACy posters will probably deny it.

As for him being in a bad job, I know he was against the original WAC 16 and strongly suggested they only go to 12.