Wac's Benson Going After Unt & Ul. Again.

Legend500

The eight in 2012 will be:

Texas State

Texas - San Antonio

Denver

Louisiana Tech

New Mexico State

Utah State

San Jose State

Idaho

Texas State - Moving up from 1AA

Texas - San Antonio - Plans on adding football

Denver - Doesn't plan on adding football

Louisiana Tech - One of the three tiniest athletic budgets in 1A, and facing spending cuts

New Mexico State - Averaged less than 15,000 most seasons this past decade

Utah State - Averaged less than 15,000 most seasons this past decade

San Jose State - Averaged less than 15,000 most seasons this past decade

Idaho - Averaged less than 15,000 most seasons this past decade, and doesn't have a stadium

Actually, that alignment still just may work.

It's a really, really long shot, but all Benson needs is a firm commitment from both the Big East and the Mountain West that they will not add any new members by 2013. Expansion by those leagues, which is expected, will probably reduce the WAC by two members, possibly three. At that point there can no longer even be a WAC because it will be impossible to bring up new 1AA schools.

Believe it or not, I do want what's best for Texas State and UTSA, but I don't see the WAC as being a viable option.

Edited by ADLER

New Mexico State - Averaged less than 15,000 most seasons this past decade

Utah State - Averaged less than 15,000 most seasons this past decade

Personally I wouldn't mind being in a conference with either school for basketball. NMSU averages almost 6k and USU almost 10k per game. Outside of those two, the new WAC is even worse than the old one we rejected.

• Upvote 1

Still nice to be thought of by Benson ,perhaps he is coming back with an offer UNT can't refuse .The UTSA football program already has players on scholarships and they participated in football all fall. They,however, did not play any games. Incarnate Word University played their first year in the LSC and won 5 games this year. So it can be done. I would like to see more Texas schools on the scheldue, but I perfer staying in the SBC over joining the WAC.