Fresh Topic #1: Who Backs Up J.j. At Center Next Season?

How long did Leppo step in as second string last season? A couple of plays before getting hurt? Really? And he is a Southlake grad that may not even return to UNT after losing Dodge, his mentor. Don't get me wrong, I think he is probably a good player but I am one of those that have to see them play before I can determine if they are the real deal. High school careers are over in college, unfortunately. Rumor has it that JJ is scheduled for another surgery in the Spring and YBarbo has not gotten reps as center yet but will probably get some in the spring. Fortenberry stepped in last year and did a hell of a job for a third string center, in my opinion. Do you guys actually go to the games and watch who is playing what? or do you just use your internet coaching skills looking at a roster to decide who plays where? Just curious. I do agree that YBarbo would be a great backup to Johnson or Fortenberry, but given the circumstances, I would bet on experience, spring practice and then two a days or whatever that's called in college. (Sorry, I have high school boys.) I think the offensive lineman will be Tomlinson, JJ, Adedipe, Fortenberry, and Feeley. With that being said, I think the oline will have a pretty good 3 deep again.

• Upvote 2

After watching what Jonathan Massaquoi did to Adedipe I am not sold he should be in the starting line up. With all the experience Fortenberry has now, I would imagine he has the nod at the back up Center spot unless the plan is to move him to to guard.

Fortenberry is too experienced and too good to not start somewhere in the line.

How long did Leppo step in as second string last season? A couple of plays before getting hurt? Do you guys actually go to the games and watch who is playing what? or do you just use your internet coaching skills looking at a roster to decide who plays where?

I went to all the games last season......When JJ went down with his foot injury in the second quarter of the Clemson game, Nick played the rest of the game. Nick then played the entire Rice game. He suffered his knee injury in the second quarter of the Army game.

• Upvote 1

Ok, point taken on Leppo. Didn't mean that to come across that way, but it did. I think if Leppo stays and sticks it out, he'll be competition for anyone. From the way McCarney makes it sound, and hopefully the way he's going to do it, whoever is BEST at the position, gets the job. On the comment about Adedipe, he did get beat on around the end but he's a power house and with some practice, he looks like he could be a beast. Maybe they move him in to guard and put someone with a little speed in the tackle position. ????? Sorry, didn't mean to get off the topic of center.

Ok, point taken on Leppo. Didn't mean that to come across that way, but it did. I think if Leppo stays and sticks it out, he'll be competition for anyone. From the way McCarney makes it sound, and hopefully the way he's going to do it, whoever is BEST at the position, gets the job. On the comment about Adedipe, he did get beat on around the end but he's a power house and with some practice, he looks like he could be a beast. Maybe they move him in to guard and put someone with a little speed in the tackle position. ????? Sorry, didn't mean to get off the topic of center.

Not to worry. Getting off topic just means that you are part of the (ADD) Mean Green family....... B)

No problem and welcome to the GMG Board....I agree that the O Line will once again be deep.

Adepipe looking like a beast has nothing to do with him playing like a beast.

• Upvote 1

You guys are too kind. It's great to be talking with some die hard fans. I am a little disappointed though...I have read the board for a little over a year know and I just knew with my "footballmommy" title, you guys would pound on me a little bit. And I can take it if you do. haha I decided to sign up this year so I can respond to some of the topics. I love to talk football and sometimes talk smack about it. I graduated from an SEC school in another state so I am loving the mean green nation and enjoying UNT football. I have adopted you guys as "my" team since moving to Texas and living in the Denton area. I am looking forward to the new stadium, the new coaches and a team with a renewed spirit, as well as reading the gomeangreen topics. 2011 is going to be an exciting year!

You guys are too kind. It's great to be talking with some die hard fans. I am a little disappointed though...I have read the board for a little over a year know and I just knew with my "footballmommy" title, you guys would pound on me a little bit. And I can take it if you do. haha I decided to sign up this year so I can respond to some of the topics. I love to talk football and sometimes talk smack about it. I graduated from an SEC school in another state so I am loving the mean green nation and enjoying UNT football. I have adopted you guys as "my" team since moving to Texas and living in the Denton area. I am looking forward to the new stadium, the new coaches and a team with a renewed spirit, as well as reading the gomeangreen topics. 2011 is going to be an exciting year!

We need more fans like you. Welcome aboard!

I'm interested to see what happens with Antonio Johnson from Diboll. He redshirted last season but man it is hard to ignore his frame and what he could become once he puts on some more weight. The official site lists him at 6-5, 292? Is that right? Sounds like a future strong side tackle!

I'd bet on Leppo, if healthy, at this point in the year. After spring ball and summer sessions, we should discuss anew perhaps.

OK, footballmommy, SEC...what's that? You would think they could beat a bunch of Big Ten Schools???? Oh, wait...pretty much did. Care to go ahead and tell us which SEC school? One could argue that the SEC is the best conference in the land at the moment. Other than the SBC, of course! :devil: -made me do it!

I'd bet on Leppo, if healthy, at this point in the year. After spring ball and summer sessions, we should discuss anew perhaps.

OK, footballmommy, SEC...what's that? You would think they could beat a bunch of Big Ten Schools???? Oh, wait...pretty much did. Care to go ahead and tell us which SEC school? One could argue that the SEC is the best conference in the land at the moment. Other than the SBC, of course! :devil: -made me do it!

I can't wait til Spring and Summer. And yes, we will be discussing because my bet is some of you will change your mindset....a little bit anyway.

Ok, before I tell you my alma mater, let me make clear that this was pre-marriage and children. Wasn't a big football person back then. My kids think it's way cooler than I do, but having boys play high school ball really changes things and makes me an expert, huh? Alabama is my alma mater. Still love the crimson tide but hoping my boys go to school close to home, and there it is, the "mommy" coming out of me.

Edited by footballmommy