The Denia Mess

MeanGreen61

EXERPT

If UNT has to drag this town kicking and screaming on its way to a better tomorrow, so be it.

The Denia crew and its beef is news. They will get their say and UNT will have its day in a new stadium.

Not a bad tradeoff in the end.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/01/the-denia-mess.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

The stadium is going to be finished in 8 months. They obviously don't want it, but there's nothing they can do. The Denia people should have been going after the city to improve Bonnie Brae and other traffic arteries. I see no mess at all. Nobody knows at all yet what the traffic situation is going to look like on gameday, and I personally doubt it's going to be an issue back in the Denia neighborhood anyways. The stadium holds 35,000 and change plus those who hang out in the lots tailgating. I fail to see the problem; we're not dealing with 80,000+ crowds.

Not to mention it's SIX DAYS out of every year that the stadium will be potentially filled to capacity...

Edited by The Kerrfeteria

I just drove down Bonnie Brae and Willowood. I'm certianly no expert on this but I think that Willowood could be fairly easily expanded enough to accommodate a shoulder to get emergency vehicles through. Bonnie Brae does need to be expanded to four lanes and straightened from 35 to Willowood, and that may be a bit more complex.

So why waste time arguing traffic flow, why not put some pressure on the city to do something about it?

I just drove down Bonnie Brae and Willowood. I'm certianly no expert on this but I think that Willowood could be fairly easily expanded enough to accommodate a shoulder to get emergency vehicles through. Bonnie Brae does need to be expanded to four lanes and straightened from 35 to Willowood, and that may be a bit more complex.

So why waste time arguing traffic flow, why not put some pressure on the city to do something about it?

Denton has plans (slowly, like everything it does) to widen Bonnie Brae starting in 2012 but needs to finalize funding and consent...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_Bonnie_Brae_Reax_1126.267651deb.html

Denia also has other fights with student housing (apartments) proposed for south Bonnie Brae...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/business/stories/DRC_housing_1225.48de5b6a.html

Denton has plans (slowly, like everything it does) to widen Bonnie Brae starting in 2012 but needs to finalize funding and consent...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_Bonnie_Brae_Reax_1126.267651deb.html

That article is hilarious. It's like these people are from a different planet and can't see that Denton is on track to become as large or larger than Arlington in the next 20-30 years. If they want that somewhat rural feeling, they need to move to Argyle, Copper Canyon, Bartonville, or one of the other area cities that have made it a part of their zoning and city planning to retain those qualities. If they really want rural, they need to move several miles to the north of 288.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are far worse things the good Denia folks could be thankful that are "not" happening in their neighborhood adjacent to the UNT campus and in 2 words its called: eminent domain :ph34r: Ask all those in Arlington who had to move because of JerryWorld about that very real problem.

Sometimes we are not thankful for the things that are not happening around us and should be content with what we have and try to understand the world is not coming to an end.

Only alternative for anyone in any neighborhood anywhere that might seem like an unsovleable, unbearable or uncomfortable situation would be to: M-O-V-E

I think when all the roads and outlets are put in place around the new stadium and the MG Village, Denia'ites may determine for themselves that 6 Saturday out of each Fall is not so bad a situation at all.

GMG

I guess that I am one of the few people that agree that the Denia residents, and the tens of thousands of people that will soon be living in southern Denton, are going to be adversely affected by this mess. This isn't going to be something that inconveniences people 6 days a year for football games, or an additional 30 days a year once a baseball stadium is built. This is something that will impact these Denton residential neighborhoods every day of the year.

Where we differ is that I don't believe the university is the evil monster that these protesters make it out to be, and if anything, North Texas is more a victim of Denton's poor planning than these residents.

Denia residents don't want a game-day traffic jam clogging up their neighborhood. Interesting tidbit: I don't think too many North Texas fans look forward to sitting in congested traffic in Denia either. Why will stadium traffic even have to exist in Denia? The answer is intentional poor planning by the city of Denton.

Did anybody notice that the City of Denton has three separate plans for routing Bonnie Brae, but only south of Willowwood Street, essentially stating that they'll spend our money anywhere other than where it's needed most; routing the section of Bonnie Brae north of Willowwood around the west side of the UNT athletic complex between the railroad tracks and I-35W with and entrance ramp to I-35W along that stretch.

This "we're not concerned about the needs of UNT" policy that the City of Denton implements are not doing it's residents any favors.

The only way to keep people from using Denia as a shortcut is to make it more time efficient to enter and exit the stadium through non-residential avenues. The only way to not clutter a major artery to southern Denton is to not force it directly though an athletic / student housing complex filled with event traffic, pedestrians, and 20 MPH speed zones.

I guess that I am one of the few people that agree that the Denia residents, and the tens of thousands of people that will soon be living in southern Denton, are going to be adversely affected by this mess. This isn't going to be something that inconveniences people 6 days a year for football games, or an additional 30 days a year once a baseball stadium is built. This is something that will impact these Denton residential neighborhoods every day of the year.

Where we differ is that I don't believe the university is the evil monster that these protesters make it out to be, and if anything, North Texas is more a victim of Denton's poor planning than these residents.

Denia residents don't want a game-day traffic jam clogging up their neighborhood. Interesting tidbit: I don't think too many North Texas fans look forward to sitting in congested traffic in Denia either. Why will stadium traffic even have to exist in Denia? The answer is intentional poor planning by the city of Denton.

Did anybody notice that the City of Denton has three separate plans for routing Bonnie Brae, but only south of Willowwood Street, essentially stating that they'll spend our money anywhere other than where it's needed most; routing the section of Bonnie Brae north of Willowwood around the west side of the UNT athletic complex between the railroad tracks and I-35W with and entrance ramp to I-35W along that stretch.

This "we're not concerned about the needs of UNT" policy that the City of Denton implements are not doing it's residents any favors.

The only way to keep people from using Denia as a shortcut is to make it more time efficient to enter and exit the stadium through non-residential avenues. The only way to not clutter a major artery to southern Denton is to not force it directly though an athletic / student housing complex filled with event traffic, pedestrians, and 20 MPH speed zones.

John T. Weber loves you. Please do tell how the stadium will adversely effect these residents 365 days per year? I see absolutely ZERO negative impact should a baseball stadium be built and UNT add baseball as a sport. Very few autos and the majority would not need to drive through the Denia neighborhood. The proposed baseball stadium will seat far far less then the football stadium and attendance will be far far less (probably 250-300 at best for the most anticipated games). I hope I am wrong and attendance would dwarf that estimate, but even still, the impact on Denia would be minimal in my opinion.

Each side has its points. But, Mr. Weber's rhetoric and constant whining that the "big mean University" is treating him wrong smacks of self-promotion and a guy wanting his limited 15 min. of fame within his small sphere of influence. Sour grapes from a very small but vocal group. The press loves this sort of thing. YAWN!