Now That Things Are Different How Will We Change

MeanGreenHoops

I really cannot believe all of the news of experienced coaches making decent money at my alma mater. For so long it always felt like donating to the school was a bad decision because the school didn't really care. The leadership, the financial commitment, the decisions that were made were always made with what seemed to be in the spirit of - well we have to do something so how can we do it as cheaply as possible but not make that too obvious.

Well, this last few weeks have proven that things are different. I mean even the stadium had me only so fired up. It was going to be great to have a beautiful venue to watch games, but if we still treated everything else like an obligation, then it would only take us so far.

For years I've read on here we were a sleeping giant. I always thought we weren't because I never expected the kind of change we've seen to happen. I know that's what a sleeping giant was, I just didn't get caught up in it. Now it is apparent that if I support the program, I will be rewarded with support from the school. It's not throwing my money away.

I've always given to the school cause I'm loyal, and that's just the way I am. My question to all of you is, now that things have changed, how will that affect your involvement financial or otherwise? I'm not trying to call people out or anything just wondering, now that you can't really blame your lack of giving on the school, what do you plan to do?

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately, many UNT "fencesitter" fans will wait to see where all of this takes us, athletically speaking. They will wait for the results of new Coach McCarney and his "soon to be" newly created staff. We have probably lost so many fans over the past 15 years that it will take several years of real success to get them financially involved. It will happen; we have to be patient.

As for me, with the new stadium commitment and my age, my level is at the max.

I absolutely feel the same way. I always felt like UNT was my grass roots effort at college football. But things are changing, tides are turning, expectations are being raised and standards set.

Is it just me, or has RV done a pretty darn good job or guiding us thru multiple presidents, agendas, projects and coaches. The Dodge hire was bold if not anything else, but the new staff, increased budgets, coordination and transparency on the stadium project... I'm pretty impressed with where we've come from and where we're headed.

I'm young, new baby girl on the way in Feb., but I can assure you my donation level and commitment, both financially and emotionally, have and will increase as a result of the recent efforts. I've been a MGC member and season ticket holder, but this year was tough after a move to Florida in August. But seeing the direction and excitement of this program has me wholly committed to season tickets at the new stadium, when in reality I'll probably only be able to attend 1 game. I plan on being back in North Texas in 5-10 years, and I know then, I'll be glad I picked my seats and got my popcorn ready.

How long till the home opener?

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, many UNT "fencesitter" fans will wait to see where all of this takes us, athletically speaking. They will wait for the results of new Coach McCarney and his "soon to be" newly created staff. We have probably lost so many fans over the past 15 years that it will take several years of real success to get them financially involved. It will happen; we have to be patient.

Are there fence sitter fans on this board? I wouldn't think so. Also, have we really lost that many fans in 15 years. It seems to me we have more fans now than ever. How else do you explain relatively good attendance during the worst run in history?

And I'm like you, I was already giving more than was comfortable. I guess I just now feel like it's worth it, which makes me want to figure out a way to do more. Which I didn't think 1 month ago.

• Upvote 1

Are there fence sitter fans on this board? I wouldn't think so. Also, have we really lost that many fans in 15 years. It seems to me we have more fans now than ever. How else do you explain relatively good attendance during the worst run in history?

And I'm like you, I was already giving more than was comfortable. I guess I just now feel like it's worth it, which makes me want to figure out a way to do more. Which I didn't think 1 month ago.

Hardcore fans, yes, we've lost a few, but you're right, we've gained much more new fans.

I also agree that while already working with razor thin margins, I'm more inspired than ever to go a little bit further, give a little more, support a little more, drive this ship where I want to see it go.

Exciting time my friends, exciting times.

have we really lost that many fans in 15 years Yes we have...you are just seeing a cultural change by the younger students attending UNT...they have a desire to be like "the Big 12" schools....proud, supportive, involved at UNT...I really have a good feeling where this is all going for UNT and I think is is much better than many think...within 3 years you will see a lot more interest in UNT and its huge school and market exposure...I personally would be thinking better than CUSA, but it would be a good move for UNT now, if it happens