The Ticket

LAZER

First time I have heard Junior say anything positive about UNT in years. Maybe the trip back for the K State game rekindled some fond memories.

I just about fell over when he said he was actually IN attendance for the KSU game...WOW. Then as you said, he was mostly positive about the hire and such. He might actually start coming back to some games.

Why would McCarney keep the guy who wanted his job at NT, on staff? The minute things get rough, everyone will be calling for Canales to take over. I like Mike, but for this thing to transition smoothly he's got to go elsewhere, IMO.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Why would McCarney keep the guy who wanted his job at NT, on staff? The minute things get rough, everyone will be calling for Canales to take over. I like Mike, but for this thing to transition smoothly he's got to go elsewhere, IMO.

That's a fair argument. But if Canales is not a guy to undermine the HC, and I don't believe he is; and if he buys into McCarney, he can really help the transition. Some players indicated they would not remain at UNT if Chico was not hired as HC. If he stays on, he could help the players buy into McCarney's plan.

Can't let the players run the show here. If someone doesn't want to be here just because coach Chico wasn't retained, then happy trails to 'em.

It might soften the blow for the players if Canales is hired fairly quickly as an HC somewhere else. Then it will look more like a positive career move for him instead of him being fired here.