Cocaine Greggo's Comments About The Hire On 105.3

UNT90

I don't know why, but I flew by this station on the way home from work just long enough to hear Cocaine Greggo proclaim that Mike Canales was the luckiest man in college football because he didn't get the UNT job. Cocaine Greggo continued on to say that UNT threw good money after bad in building the new stadium and that the head coaching job at UNT was the worst job in the nation. Then he said that no coach could ever win at UNT. When his sidekick reminded him that UNT had won 3 conference championships earlier this decade (yes, I know, but the poor sap was defending us), it was clear that cocaine Greggo had never heard about our conference championships, or that the cocaine induced haze of the mid 2000 had erased it from his memory.

It was pretty humorous, because it was clear he had no idea what he was talking about. Unfortunately, thats because I have a knowledge base on what is going on with UNT Football. Those out there who don't (all three of them that listen to this station) have now been giiven an ignorant opinion of our football program.

Edited by UNT90

I don't know why, but I flew by this station on the way home from work just long enough to hear Cocaine Greggo proclaim that Mike Canales was the luckiest man in college football because he didn't get the UNT job. Cocaine Greggo continued on to say that UNT threw good money after bad in building the new stadium and that the head coaching job at UNT was the worst job in the nation. Then he said that no coach could ever win at UNT. When his sidekick reminded him that UNT had won 3 conference championships earlier this decade (yes, I know, but the poor sap was defending us), it was clear that cocaine Greggo had never heard about our conference championships, or that the cocaine induced haze of the mid 2000 had erased it from his memory.

It was pretty humorous, because it was clear he had no idea what he was talking about. Unfortunately, thats because I have a knowledge base on what is going on with UNT Football. Those out there who don't (all three of them that listen to this station) have now been giiven an ignorant opinion of our football program.

It would have been even better if he reminded him that we had 4 conference championships this decade.

had to change my original post......but the guy is a joke and so is the station

Edited by All About UNT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't find any of them interesting for very long. The Ticket has some sports mixed with mostly what they call "guy talk." But their version of guy talk is more along the lines of what tween boys would say while they are still too shy to talk to girls.

ESPN has a formula and that is what they do every chance they can. It's really simple: one person takes an incredibly extreme view on a topic, so far out there only a tiny number of fans might agree. Then a second takes the moderate view, but he never says a lot. The second is the "straight man" setting up the extreme guy's crazy comments. If there is a third person, he takes an equally extreme but opposite view to the first. People are driven to call in since the moderate guy appears unable to express himself and the extreme guys say outlandish things just to get a response. ESPN does talk more about - more accurately around - sports than the Ticket.

Listening to the Fan I get the feeling they aren't yet certain what they are going to do. There is some aping of the Ticket, but not all the time. The few times I've heard them try the ESPN formula it is obvious the extreme guy doesn't actually believe what he is saying and it won't work if the extreme guy can't act. The Fan had an advantage in that CBS/Infinity can dump tons of cash into buying the Cowboys and Rangers et al and between the games with post and pre game shows lots of people will spend a lot of time listening.

That theory cannot be proven.

One opinion of Gregg'os tirade at UNT which I just happened to be listening to when he went off on the air:

Firstly, when Greg Williams was on The Ticket he used to praise UNT almost any time the subject ever came up (which was rare on the Hard Line). When we were regaining D1-A in 1994 he was especially complimentary of North Texas and its bright future. Heck, you'd thought the guy was a UNT grad or something.

Secondly: Greg Williams knows we have a huge network of NT alums and Mean Green fans in the DFW Metroplex most of whom have radios? :) His present station has a promo saying "we know we used to suck but give us a new shot" or something to that affect so Greggo and company are trying desparately to get new listeners and Greg Williams knows if he can piss of the Mean Green Nation fan base he will get some listeners.

His tirade yesterday was partly because no one was calling in at all to talk to the guys--it seemed most obvious he was trying to egg some of our fans on to call in and it seems that none did while I was listening and I sure as hell didn't. B)

Ratings, folks, it's all about ratings...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2