La Tech Fans Discussing Future Conference Possibilities

gangrene

Future Conference Possibilites

For those of you suggesting the SBC should go after La Tech, this thread may help explain why that's not a likely scenario. Even with the WAC facing a future full of uncertainty, the La Tech fan base would rather fantasize about CUSA invites and contemplate going independent than consider joining the SBC.

Even with the WAC facing a future full of uncertainty, the La Tech fan base would rather fantasize about CUSA invites and contemplate going independent than consider joining the SBC.

Like it or not...when it comes to outside perception, the SBC IS a step back. Even from the New WAC.

Edited by JayDub
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Like it or not...when it comes to outside perception, the SBC IS a step back. Even from the New WAC.

The teams that are left in the WAC are, at most, 10 positions higher in the Sagarin rankings than the Sun Belt. They may even be worse, once they lose schedule strength once the better programs are done leaving them behind.

The WAC has become another Sun Belt spread out over three timezones with ridiculous travel times. Louisiana Tech would be better off in the Belt.

Even with the WAC facing a future full of uncertainty, the La Tech fan base would rather fantasize about CUSA invites and contemplate going independent than consider joining the SBC.

Wait, isn't that what we do?

Judging LA Tech base on a fan grudge is just stupid. The way LA Tech feels about UL-Monroe is how UNT feels about Texas State. As a fan your going to say and do everything you can to separate yourself for the little brother school. But the fact remains Tech would be a natural fit in the Belt and would bring a competitive program into the fold.

A 12 team Belt is in our best interest and its time to get over a fan grudge.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wait, isn't that what we do?

Judging LA Tech base on a fan grudge is just stupid. The way LA Tech feels about UL-Monroe is how UNT feels about Texas State. As a fan your going to say and do everything you can to separate yourself for the little brother school. But the fact remains Tech would be a natural fit in the Belt and would bring a competitive program into the fold.

A 12 team Belt is in our best interest and its time to get over a fan grudge.

truth

Who cares about perception? Are you going to write us a check to cover the six figures we would lose going to the WAC? AkstFan has put up several posts about the economics, we need to do the right thing financially, and the right thing isn't changing to a conference that is about to dissolve anyway just because some yokel from FumbDuck, Mississippi who doesn't really even care, and who is never going to send us a single dollar thinks the WAC is a better conference.

And perception? It's whats kept a very large majority of DFW NT Exes from ever having been involved with Mean Green Athletics. Anyone work in DFW? Then just sit down and talk to some of that group sometimes and one will quickly see what I mean.

JayDub, agree except the part of the New WAC because..........just who is going to be the new WAC?

If SBC Commish' Wright Waters would have a come to Jesus conference with all SBC Football HFC's to get out there and recruit kids who will help 1 or 2 or 3 of our schools to be annual (alternating) fixtures in any Top 25 poll, my problem with the 'Belt would no longer be a problem. And that kind of 'Belt LaTech would join if they haven't burnt' their bridges with all that lagniape that spews venom from their board almost daily but still.........it will not be smack board posters who determine that but powers from high above in those ivory covered towers of academia who will have that honor.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I can't believe that some of the La. Tech faithful are actually discussing the possibility of going independent. I've heard of them talking about it on a couple of different message boards.

Scheduling a full season of games as an independent would be nearly impossible for them. They aren't Notre Dame or even Army or Navy.

Well, I wonder how anyone would know that being that the new WAC is at least a year down the road. I doubt that anyone that even casually follows college football is going to have that view. This is a popular point by the grasping for straws leftover WAC members, but I suspect it will be far from the truth. It is like their oft quoted point of the new WAC members having better rankings than the current Belt, totally downplaying the fallacy of comparing fc members to fb division members and the sad truth that the ratings of SJSU, La Tech. Idaho, NMSU and USU will tumble as their strength of schedule plummets with the departure of the other teams.

The fact is that NT as looked pretty darn smart for shunning the WAC years ago and the Belt with all it's flaws is in much better position than the WAC currently is.

"Perception" doesn't pay the bills. I keep reading that a few folks think it does, but even Dwayne for Minden pointed out the OLD WAC included Boise could only cover La Tech's costs if a WAC team made the BCS every year. After this year, that comes to screeching halt.

You have read that Benson's call to WW included asking if the Sun Belt if they would take New Mexico State and La Tech, right? And that this information came from people with connections to the SBC offices? If the WAC is actively shopping their own teams to the SBC, how much better is the WAC?

Now, I"m completely will concede that people who don't know much about college football think the WAC is better. But those are the same people who think the Dallas Cowboys will be in the Superbowl this year.

1. If SBC takes LA Tech and moves to 12 there won't be a "new" WAC.

2. The "new" WAC won't have a higher perception or ranking that the SBC.

Do you think the national media that doesn't follow the non-AQs any way is going to give the WAC credit for adding TX State?

The last time the top half of a conference left for another conference was the Southwest Conference. How did that work our for Houston and Rice?

If Hawaii does as they say and leaves, there will only be seven teams in the "new" WAC. They will be a conference in name only. They will have no vote. Two are moveups and require two years probationary periods. Three are former Sun Belt teams and given the non-viable league with no vote, I would expect NMSU to try to return to the SBC. La Tech should strongly consider going independent.

• Upvote 2

I can't believe that some of the La. Tech faithful are actually discussing the possibility of going independent. I've heard of them talking about it on a couple of different message boards.

Scheduling a full season of games as an independent would be nearly impossible for them. They aren't Notre Dame or even Army or Navy.

lla. tech fans live in a world all to their own. i think they would rather go independent in football and put all other sports in southland than return to belt as long as ul monroe is a member. they seem to have no problem with ull. new mexico state is in process of evaluating athletic program. their football is actually in much worse shape than ours,money is tight in the entire state, and they could even consider dropping down to 1aa. i think they would be welcomed back to the belt, but at 600+ mile to closest other member, unt, and a small fan base in a small state, they bring nothing to the table. having said that, i would be supportive of both schools rejoining the belt to get us to 12 teams,2 divisions, and conference championship game.but i would only admitt nmsu if they brought la. tech with them. just a old mans opinion.